FS Franken TR180 Holton/Bach SOLD

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed; caveat emptor.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
mrdeacon

FS Franken TR180 Holton/Bach SOLD

Post by mrdeacon » Thu May 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Hi everyone! Today I've got a catch and release for sale. Fantastic horn but just not what I'm looking for.

Today is a great Franken TR180! The horn is comprised of an early TR183 bell, Bach 50B valves with open wrapped valve section, TR180 tuning slide, MK Drawing GR leadpipe, and handslide, custom string linkage.

The horn does not include a case but I can include an original nylon Cronkhite Gig bag for a upcharge. Probably an extra $100-$150 depending on shipping.

I can also include a brand new Axe Handle brace for an additional charge.

I'm looking to get $1200 + Shipping for the horn. Pictures are here! https://imgur.com/a/8amE7VS

$1200 is exactly what I paid for the horn. Just looking to get what I put into it. I am open to offers... The sooner I can get the horn out the door the more open I am to offers. I'm hoping to have this horn out the door in the next week or two. I don't expect this horn to be up for sale for long!

The horn blows great and has a nice Holton sound. The bell on this is a good one. The Bach 50B valves blow nice and the action is smooth. The horn might be ugly but there is no trauma to the bell or large dents to the tuning slides. Just ugly. The slide is a solid 7.5 or 8/10 while lubed up. Note the patch on the slide crook but it is very tastefully done. Minor wear on the inners, plenty of life left in them.

All in all, this is a great horn. The horn does need some love from a tech. I'm not a fan of string linkage (you might like it though!) and some of the brace joints could use resoldering to tidy them up. The slide is usable as is but needs some love to be a daily driver.

This horn needs a good home and to be loved! The valve section on this is some quality work. With a little love the horn will be ready to tackle any post-Corana Virus gigs! Perfect horn for a doubler, college student or someone looking for a smaller Duo Gravis type horn but don't want to have the small valve tubing.

I've got a friend selling a nice Courtois 550BH and that'll be what I probably replace this guy with.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14410&p=112591&hil ... on#p112591 FS is the same horn from this thread. Some history about the horn can be found in the topic!

Thanks! Please feel free to reach out with offers and questions. I'm happy to provide additional pictures if requested. PM is the best way to contact me.

Edit* 5/28 SOLD!
Last edited by mrdeacon on Thu May 28, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42B 1977, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1960s, Symington 1.5 ZR
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Symington 1.5 ZR
Elow

Re: FS Franken TR180 Holton/Bach

Post by Elow » Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm

Anything particularly wrong with it? Seems kind of strange for it to be sold twice within a month.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon » Thu May 21, 2020 4:48 pm

Elow wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm
Anything particularly wrong with it? Seems kind of strange for it to be sold twice within a month.
Nothing at all "wrong with it" besides needing a little love from a tech, which I noted in the ad. It just wasn't what I was looking for.

I have two really killer vintage basses and I was looking for something different and easy to play to round out the crew. While this is different and easy to play... I think in the end I'm looking for something more modern. This is definitely old school.

With all this spare time it's hard not to buy and flip horns :pant: But like I said I'm looking to get just what I paid for it or close to it. Not looking to make a profit on this one.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42B 1977, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1960s, Symington 1.5 ZR
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Symington 1.5 ZR
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:24 pm

I don't know dude. It sounds like a rare gem. A one of a kind horn you may regret selling.

Return to “(Classifieds) Instruments & Parts”