Aching ribs curiosity, breathing

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Yesterday I developed some pain in the rib area, in the dorsal thoracic.  I had trouble drawing a full breath at all.  It was very similar to some past thoracic strains I've had, but not like the back going out.  It's more like muscle pain from weightlifting.  I still have some pain drawing a full breath but it's much improved, and reduced to the bottom of the shoulder blade area. 

I put this here rather than in Health, because I think I know what caused it.  I was singing next to an unusually skilled and powerful singer, and I was inspired to do the best I could to match him.  I wasn't really attending to my breathing, but I think that I must have supported more and moved more air.  If so, I just have sore muscles from an unaccustomed workout, not an injury per se.

That doesn't happen when I play trombone.  But the obvious question is, should it?  Are those muscles sore because they haven't been used?   

Trumpet players say that the next day after a really hard gig their back is sore, not their chops, if they're doing it right. 
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Yesterday I developed some pain in the rib area, in the dorsal thoracic.  I had trouble drawing a full breath at all.  It was very similar to some past thoracic strains I've had, but not like the back going out.  It's more like muscle pain from weightlifting.  I still have some pain drawing a full breath but it's much improved, and reduced to the bottom of the shoulder blade area. 

I put this here rather than in Health, because I think I know what caused it.  I was singing next to an unusually skilled and powerful singer, and I was inspired to do the best I could to match him.  I wasn't really attending to my breathing, but I think that I must have supported more and moved more air.  If so, I just have sore muscles from an unaccustomed workout, not an injury per se.

That doesn't happen when I play trombone.  But the obvious question is, should it?  Are those muscles sore because they haven't been used?   

Trumpet players say that the next day after a really hard gig their back is sore, not their chops, if they're doing it right. 

Return to “Practice Room”