1st thing to do when getting a brand new trombone?

ttf_NWHarry

Post by ttf_NWHarry »

I will be receiving a brand new Yamaha YSL-891Z trombone tomorrow and wanted to know what I should do when opening the package? Of course, I will look for OBVIOUS damage, but should I also look for very small dents and scratches? I doubt any will be found with this quality instrument.
But more importantly, since I don't know if there is any residual oil/wax left over from the manufacturing process, should I carefully wash & clean it (in my bath tub), then reapply lubricant on the tuning slide and slide itself?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Yamaha horns actually come with a little booklet on 'first things to do' if I'm not mistaken as well as one on how to maintain it.  Inspect it and then lube up the slides and get playing  Image
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: NWHarry on Jul 10, 2017, 08:37AMI will be receiving a brand new Yamaha YSL-891Z trombone tomorrow and wanted to know what I should do when opening the package? Of course, I will look for OBVIOUS damage, but should I also look for very small dents and scratches? I doubt any will be found with this quality instrument.
But more importantly, since I don't know if there is any residual oil/wax left over from the manufacturing process, should I carefully wash & clean it (in my bath tub), then reapply lubricant on the tuning slide and slide itself?

How can you go wrong by doing all the things you listed to do, as long as you are as careful as you indicated you would be!

The only other thing I like to do with a new horn, whether actually new or just new to me is to burnish the inside of the outers with a 1" (or so) strip of bath towel spindled around my cleaning rod, pumping (very carefully) until the tube warms up.

...Geezer
ttf_jackbird

Post by ttf_jackbird »

The first thing is to put duct tape over the small end. Then extend the slide to 7th position and duct tape it in place. Electrical tape is ok in a pinch. Then fill it with milk. It will take about half a gallon, depending on what bore you have. Now leave it in the sun for a couple days. Then play a couple notes as high and loud as you can. You might want to practice on another horn first so you don't blow any clams in the milk. That will only make chowda, if you know what I mean. After that, the manufacturing oil won't be a worry.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I've heard some very negative things about "milk treatment" and I've never done it myself.  If you choose to do the milk treatment, be warned.  It will provide a very welcoming environment for biologics to grow in.
ttf_jackbird

Post by ttf_jackbird »

...and the second thing to do is to put  Image or  Image after your sarcastic postss, or peoplew ill start calling you a troll. Image
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jul 10, 2017, 09:22AMI've heard some very negative things about "milk treatment" and I've never done it myself.  If you choose to do the milk treatment, be warned.  It will provide a very welcoming environment for biologics to grow in.

It's a trumpet thing.  I've seen it recommended before.

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I'd alwyas been told its a horn thing that moved its way into the trumpet world.  One of my techs indicated its real benefit is smoothing out burrs, which I'd be surprsied if a new Yamaha has any of!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I will say, if you are removing the plastic from the factory, I'd swab out the inside of the outer slide first thing.  Even before I put lube on it.

Also, count on having to lube your slide every day or so for a while.  You need to build up a layer on the inside of the outer slide that will be a foundation for any further lube.  If they furnished a bottle of the "Yama-snot", use that.  It's great stuff.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

1st thing I do I'd pay for it Image
ttf_sonicsilver

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Who's got the patience for QC and cleaning when there's a shiny new horn lying there in silence?

Just stick it on your face and start playing.
ttf_billepstein

Post by ttf_billepstein »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jul 10, 2017, 09:22AMI've heard some very negative things about "milk treatment" and I've never done it myself.  If you choose to do the milk treatment, be warned.  It will provide a very welcoming environment for biologics to grow in.

...and you'll never be able to play fleischig passages well Image
ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

Quote from: sonicsilver on Jul 11, 2017, 02:40AMWho's got the patience for QC and cleaning when there's a shiny new horn lying there in silence?

Just stick it on your face and start playing.

Agreed!  It's not a terrible idea idea to at least clean out the slide if not the whole horn after the first week or two to clear out any accumulated polishing compound, oils, etc; if there is a valve involved giving the bell section a bath might not be the worst idea at this time. 

However, for me the most important thing would be enjoying your new trombone!  One doesn't get a new horn every day and the excitement and inspiration that comes with it!
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Gee, I read this whole thread (including troll posts) and THEN re-read the first post.  You are buying a Yamaha.  You don't have to do anything.  Just refresh the slide with some Yamaha slide lube and start playing.  Excellent horn.  Have a blast.  Maybe give it a bath after a week or two... 
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

New Yamaha horns come with lube that is the same as what they used in the factory.  Lube the slide and start playing, then follow standard cleaning and maintenance practices that you would on any horn.  A new slide may be a little scratchy, it should play in over time, don't be tempted to do anything extreme to the slide to get rid of the scratchiness other than playing it for a while.  There are a lot of old wives tales about things to do with new horns, Milk really!!!  I have heard of filling horns with mineral oil, and letting it soak in to seal pores inside of the horn, which makes more sense to me than the milk treatment. 
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: jackbird on Jul 10, 2017, 09:19AMThe first thing is to put duct tape over the small end. Then extend the slide to 7th position and duct tape it in place. Electrical tape is ok in a pinch. Then fill it with milk. It will take about half a gallon, depending on what bore you have. Now leave it in the sun for a couple days. Then play a couple notes as high and loud as you can. You might want to practice on another horn first so you don't blow any clams in the milk. That will only make chowda, if you know what I mean. After that, the manufacturing oil won't be a worry.

What???? Image

/Tom
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: NWHarry on Jul 10, 2017, 08:37AMI will be receiving a brand new Yamaha YSL-891Z trombone tomorrow and wanted to know what I should do when opening the package? Of course, I will look for OBVIOUS damage, but should I also look for very small dents and scratches? I doubt any will be found with this quality instrument.

Welcome.  Image One of my first posts was to ask about the care and feeding of my 891Z, new in 2009.

Applying your own lube straight away on tuning slides is a good idea, simply so you know how it was done. Three things (or so):

1. You'll want to clean your slide daily until you don't get black off on the cleaning cloth. This took about 3 weeks for my horn.

2. Slide lubing. I use 2 products: 1) the Yamaha cream that came with my horn, and 2) Yamaha slide oil (or lubricant, whatever is says on it. I put the smallest amount of the cream on each stocking, and then I use a little more slide lube as well. After the slide is broken in, I have to clean my slide about twice per week with the cleaning rod and then the lubing mentioned above.

3. Lead pipes. You have 2, the NY (as chosen by Wycliffe Gordon) and the LA (as chosen by Andy Martin). The LA might be good for playing into a mic in LA, but everyone else I  know settles on the NY as it plays better in a live setting.

Good luck and enjoy your 891Z. I still love playing mine as my main horn.
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

Quote from: Torobone on Aug 19, 2017, 11:08AM

1. You'll want to clean your slide daily until you don't get black off on the cleaning cloth. This took about 3 weeks for my horn.

In my opinion, your new horn will not play right until you get it perfectly clean.

My new King took about three intense cleanings to get the "manufacturing grime" off. Yamaha may differ.

My choice was to not put on slide lube until the slide was clean.

Ask the dealer to clean the horn. Also check that the water key is working and sealing perfectly. (Did it get bent in shipping?)

Bill Watrous claimed he cleaned the slide with a cheesecloth covered rod every time he put the horn back in the case.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: RMTrombone on Aug 19, 2017, 11:56AMIn my opinion, your new horn will not play right until you get it perfectly clean.

My new King took about three intense cleanings to get the "manufacturing grime" off. Yamaha may differ.

My choice was to not put on slide lube until the slide was clean.

Ask the dealer to clean the horn. Also check that the water key is working and sealing perfectly. (Did it get bent in shipping?)

Bill Watrous claimed he cleaned the slide with a cheesecloth covered rod every time he put the horn back in the case.

There are 2 things in play here: "manufacturing grime" and seating the inner and outer slides.

Manufacturing grime can be any residue left after the horn is built. Poor build quality might result in grime in the horn, blobs of solder left in places or parts that come off. Over the first 2 years of my Bach's life, 2 solder joints came apart. I all of my Yamahas, no joints have failed.

What I was referring to was seating, or wearing / breaking in, new metal components. The pistons in engines are another example. The oil in new engines is typically changed after a brief period. For me, this period lasted for 3 weeks with daily cleaning.

As for Bill Watrous, there is an old video of him cleaning his slide. During that video, he claimed that using cheesecloth on a cleaning rod until the metal became warm was a way to remove dirt, small dents and imperfections. To me, removing dents seems unlikely, but every single trombonist I've met has their own way to clean their horn. Let's assume it works for them.

I use a cleaning rod wrapped in cheesecloth every time I clean my horn, but I only do this when the slide is not perfect or before playing somewhere important like a gig. My experience may be more relevant to the OP as we play the same model.

I'm not a fan of leaving the slide without lube at any time. I also would never run my car without oil. Your mileage may vary.

ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

Just to be clear; I did not play the slide until I had it cleaned and lubed. I was using Slide-O-Mix two part at the time, I find (as most do) that it does not work on a dirty slide.
ttf_watermailonman

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Jul 11, 2017, 02:05AM1st thing I do I'd pay for it Image

Yes!

A new instrument is easy. Wipe the inside of the outer slide and the outside of the inner slide. Pour/pump water through. Lube and play.

If an OLD instrument?

The first thing I do when I get a new instrument is to pour/pump water through the slide and wipe the inner slide. I put some lube on and play. I just check the instrument BEFORE cleaning. The second thing I do is clean the instrument and test again to see what that did. Next is take out any major dents in the tuning slide. Test again. Take out any other dents that are deep. Test again. Then do the same with the bell. This way after doing this on about 30 used instruments I have learned a lot about what cleaning does to an instrument and what to expect from dents in different places.

What I've learned:
1. Dirt makes the instrument play bad, especially dirt in the leadpipe.
2. Small dents do not affect playing.
3  A major dent (0,5 cm) at the wrong place can change ONE or several notes so they play stuffy and false. After such a dent is removed the instrument can play much better.
4. A bell that has lost it's symmetry can play differently. When the symmetry is restored the instrument plays better.

It sort of confirme what others have told me.

/Tom

ttf_watermailonman

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Jul 11, 2017, 02:05AM1st thing I do I'd pay for it Image

Yes!

A new instrument is easy. Wipe the inside of the outer slide and the outside of the inner slide. Pour/pump water through. Lube and play.

If an OLD instrument?

The first thing I do when I get a new instrument is to pour/pump water through the slide and wipe the inner slide. I put some lube on and play. I just check the instrument BEFORE cleaning. The second thing I do is clean the instrument and test again to see what that did. Next is take out any major dents in the tuning slide. Test again. Take out any other dents that are deep. Test again. Then do the same with the bell. This way after doing this on about 30 used instruments I have learned a lot about what cleaning does to an instrument and what to expect from dents in different places.

What I've learned:
1. Dirt makes the instrument play bad, especially dirt in the leadpipe.
2. Small dents do not affect playing.
3  A major dent (0,5 cm) at the wrong place can change ONE or several notes so they play stuffy and false. After such a dent is removed the instrument can play much better.
4. A bell that has lost it's symmetry can play differently. When the symmetry is restored the instrument plays better.

It sort of confirme what others have told me.

/Tom

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”