Sympathetic vibration in 10H bell flare

ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Elkhart Conn 8Hs and 88Hs are notorious for having sympathetic vibrations and sometimes even hums at certain pitches (usually around F# or G above middle C)

It isn't usually an issue with other models. Years ago I had a 6H that had a very lively bell. It would hum in my hands as I played. Crazy!

Now I have come into possession of a late 50's 10H bell section. I noticed that it has a fast vibration when I bring the slide hard into the corks. The bell is very open and much brighter than I would have expected a copper bell to be. It is brighter than my '59 6H bell (using the same slide section)

Any repair techs have an opinion on this?
ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Elkhart Conn 8Hs and 88Hs are notorious for having sympathetic vibrations and sometimes even hums at certain pitches (usually around F# or G above middle C)

It isn't usually an issue with other models. Years ago I had a 6H that had a very lively bell. It would hum in my hands as I played. Crazy!

Now I have come into possession of a late 50's 10H bell section. I noticed that it has a fast vibration when I bring the slide hard into the corks. The bell is very open and much brighter than I would have expected a copper bell to be. It is brighter than my '59 6H bell (using the same slide section)

Any repair techs have an opinion on this?

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”