Yamaha Slide oil bottle breaking

ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

Has anyone else had trouble with the Yamaha slide stuff bottle breaking at the neck?
I`ve had 2 break recently one all over the case
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

I did the same. You are probably screwing the cap on too tight. That was my problem.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Transfer it to a plastic bottle/dropper. You can probably find one of suitable size at a pharmacy.

...Geezer
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

I recently had two of them do this. It's my favorite stuff but I'm looking for other options now. An $8 bottle of slide lube shouldn't freaking break on me. I'm not screwing it on too tight, it's too weak to work as it was designed. I still don't know why they changed the previous bottle design.

ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

+1
ttf_Nanook

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Happened to me too...On a good note it got me to try the super slick two part stuff, and I love it ...

Nanook
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I use UltraPure, but what I do can work for you too.  I save every small dropper bottle I get.  Eyedrops, small meds, etc.  Rinse out the bottles and put UltraPure in each.  This way I can have a little bottle in each horn bag.  You don't use that much so even a 1/4 bottle size lasts a long time.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 19, 2017, 09:43AMI use UltraPure, but what I do can work for you too.  I save every small dropper bottle I get.  Eyedrops, small meds, etc.  Rinse out the bottles and put UltraPure in each.  This way I can have a little bottle in each horn bag.  You don't use that much so even a 1/4 bottle size lasts a long time.Good suggestion. Also minimizes the loss if the lube gets hot and breaks down.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

If you can't wait until you get an ear infection, you can always just buy them for the price of bubble gum.

THESE ones for slide lube.

And THESE are great for valve and linkage oil.
ttf_john jenkins

Post by ttf_john jenkins »

I just had a tube of Yamaha slide oil break on me today! And oddly enough, just less than 15 minutes early, a bottle of Hetman tuning slide grease literally burst into my hand as I was squeezing it onto my tuning slide. I had never experienced this before in all of my years of using Hetman products. I guess that particular tube is always under a great amount of pressure due to the very low viscosity of the liquid. Anyway, it's still an amazing lubricant for tuning slides and linkage joints (keeps the super quiet). I'll definitely order more of the Hetman, but NOT of the Yamaha slide oil.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I've not had a bottle break, but the new dispenser is not as practical as the old one IMO.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I don't see this as a reason to boycott the yamaha stuff. I bet Yamaha would like to know about the defect. I bet they'd send you a whole box for free.

"Oh mang, I'm NEVER using their stuff again. Won't let them know but I'll tell my friends about how bad they are. Even as I admit the product in the tube is superior..."

Seriously : Yamaha is a good company. The product is good. They aren't out to get you. Even though they are a huge global company, I am sure someone there actually cares and would be horrified to learn that the bottle is defective.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Today at 04:47 AMI don't see this as a reason to boycott the yamaha stuff. I bet Yamaha would like to know about the defect. I bet they'd send you a whole box for free.

"Oh mang, I'm NEVER using their stuff again. Won't let them know but I'll tell my friends about how bad they are. Even as I admit the product in the tube is superior..."

Seriously : Yamaha is a good company. The product is good. They aren't out to get you. Even though they are a huge global company, I am sure someone there actually cares and would be horrified to learn that the bottle is defective.

Image You know a person could fill a book with what you don't know.  Image 

They'll do something about it when it affects the bottom line. You assume I haven't had the same kind of dealings with Yamaha before. I have. They don't care.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: Pre59 on Jul 01, 2017, 01:20AMI've not had a bottle break, but the new dispenser is not as practical as the old one IMO.

I wrote to Yamaha about that when the first of the new designs showed up.  They weren't interested.
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

QuoteTHESE ones for slide lube.

BillO- Thanks for the links. I will buy enough for me and my buddies.

Have you used the 5 ml bottle? The Slide-o-Mix small bottle is 10 ml, it seems small enough.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: RMTrombone on Jul 02, 2017, 05:58AMBillO- Thanks for the links. I will buy enough for me and my buddies.

Have you used the 5 ml bottle? The Slide-o-Mix small bottle is 10 ml, it seems small enough.
Yes, I have them all over the place.  One in every trombone case, two in my mute bag, near all the places I play in the house.  They are ubiquitous.  Some go for near a  month before refilling, some longer.

A 10ml bottle would be fine too for how I use them, but I bought the 5ml ones.  Just what I clicked on that day. Image
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Just a note on this.

I wonder if the US gets a different bottle than we do here in Canada.  I just finished of a bottle and remembering this post tried to over-tighten the cap as well as bend the top to try to get it to break and I was unsuccessful.  Just for reference I do dumbbell curls with 60lb dumbbells and can bench more than my own 260lb bulk, so its not like I'm a teensy weakling.
ttf_mwpfoot

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

Several older bottles never had a problem kicking around my bag.

Latest bottle the applicator pieces fell apart.

I thought it was just me.

ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: BillO on Jun 19, 2017, 09:54AMIf you can't wait until you get an ear infection, you can always just buy them for the price of bubble gum.

I bought some small bottles for my Yamasnot.  I can't believe I never thought of this before.  This is so much better than the new stock bottle.   Image Image Image Image

--Andy in OKC
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: BillO on Jun 19, 2017, 09:54AMIf you can't wait until you get an ear infection, you can always just buy them for the price of bubble gum.

I bought some small bottles for my Yamasnot.  I can't believe I never thought of this before.  This is so much better than the new stock bottle.   Image Image Image Image

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Accessories”