Sauer screw bell

Chatname

Sauer screw bell

Post by Chatname » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:22 pm

I haven’t seen the Sauer screw bell IRL, but am interested!
Why f-attachment? Considering he was known for playing an 8H most of his career. Is it necessary for weight balance, or could one use a counterweight instead if one wants to have a straight trombone?
Anyone with experience who would like to share how they like this model?
CalgaryTbone

Re: Sauer screw bell

Post by CalgaryTbone » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Ralph played a detachable 8H/88H setup for most of his career, playing the attachment side when he needed it. The Shires can also be converted to a straight set-up. Also, straight .547's are not getting the same use nowadays since F attachment horns are almost universally played in that bore size. I'm sure that Shires would have wanted there to be a valve offered with the horn for greater appeal to potential buyers.

When we had Ralph here as a guest at the local University, he played the horn with a valve the whole time he was here, including for his short recital before his Masterclass. He sounded great, by the way!

Jim Scott
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:38 pm

He's playing mostly solo repertoire as he tours and does masterclasses. No point in him using a straight horn for that.

His horn plays really, really well by the way.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:12 pm

Same here- I've only seen him with a valve when I've heard him play.

A student of mine had one- really really nice horn. I really enjoyed playing it. He has the dual bore version. The case was pretty nicely built but I much prefer the Bona. That one felt very awkward to carry.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
https://soundcloud.com/mattbarbier-1
http://www.mattbarbier.com/
Chatname

Post by Chatname » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:53 am

That’s really interesting; thank you for your insights!
CornyBone

Post by CornyBone » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:58 am

mbarbier wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:12 pm
A student of mine had one- really really nice horn. I really enjoyed playing it. He has the dual bore version. The case was pretty nicely built but I much prefer the Bona. That one felt very awkward to carry.
I agree, I play said horn and it's an absolute joy to play. The case is a total pain though. The Bonna cases are much better ;)

Return to “Instruments”