Opinions on Wessex King 7B copy

Kingfan

Opinions on Wessex King 7B copy

Post by Kingfan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:44 pm

I am considering getting a vintage Duo Gravis. As I understand it, the King 7B is basical a 6B DG with independent valves. I stumbled across the Wessex PBF-562 which is a 7B clone for a really nice price https://wessex-tubas.com/products/doubl ... one-pbf562 . Anybody have any experience with Wessex basses in general, or this horn in particular? I play bass only in big bands and community bands, so don't need an orchestral style horn. Thanks!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
King 2B, 3B, 3B-F, 4B-F, Holton TR-180.
braymond21

Re: Opinions on Wessex King 7B copy

Post by braymond21 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:59 pm

I had one of these a few years ago when I first started bass. It played well and I used it for concert and jazz band and it worked great for both. It was a bit difficult to play in the double trigger range but it could have been me since I hadn't played for very long. They're a great option for the price if you're looking for something to start off with or use as a double.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:57 pm

braymond21 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:59 pm
I had one of these a few years ago when I first started bass. It played well and I used it for concert and jazz band and it worked great for both. It was a bit difficult to play in the double trigger range but it could have been me since I hadn't played for very long. They're a great option for the price if you're looking for something to start off with or use as a double.
I have had a Holton TR-180 for 30 years, some of that time it was my primary horn ("hey, we don't need another tenor bone player, but do you have a bass?") but most of the time it sat and collected spiders. I just played it back to back with a Duo Gravis a few hours ago, courtesy of another TromboneChat member, and liked the DG a lot. No difference in pedal tone difficulty to me, just sounded brighter and clearer comparted to the mellower Holton.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
King 2B, 3B, 3B-F, 4B-F, Holton TR-180.
bellend

Post by bellend » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:16 am

Just for the record THIS IS NOT A KING 7B COPY!

Having owned both an original 7B and the Wessex horn there are many big differences so don't be fooled by the curved bell stay and valve wrap.

That being said, the Wessex ( for the money) is not at all bad but it has very little to do with any King trombone.
You will more than likely have to get the trigger levers adjusted as they are in a very odd position.

If you want to for a real King having owned a Duo Gravis and a 7B I would recommend you stick with the former , the 7B just isn't as good, all the ones I've tried are stuffy to blow compered to the Gravis.

You will no doubt get people chiming in saying how wonderful they! are but ask yourself how many really good pro's use 7B's????

Have fun

BellEnd
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 am

Was this the horn that Fossil/Blast/Stearn had a hand in? If not, whatever happened to that horn?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:20 am

Bach5G wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 am
Was this the horn that Fossil/Blast/Stearn had a hand in? If not, whatever happened to that horn?
No, Blast's horn was this one:
https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/tr ... one-pbf565
Usually sold out, even at twice as much as the other one. I'd say that's a pretty safe bet at the price.

Return to “Instruments”