Going digital: stands and holders?

Kbiggs

Going digital: stands and holders?

Post by Kbiggs » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:15 am

I’ve decided to convert to digital music as much as possible. I have a new iPad, ForScore, and the AirTurn Pro pedal. I play 95% classical and chamber music, if that makes a difference.

What kind of stand do most people use? A regular music stand? If so, how do you keep the iPad on the stand?

If you use a different stand, do you use a mic stand with an arm to hold the tablet? A dedicated straight stand like the goStand: https://store.airturn.com/collections/t ... blet-stand? Something else?

What kind of tablet holder? There are diagonal holders, large clip holders, and adjustable ones like Hercules and KMI.
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
afugate

Re: Going digital: stands and holders?

Post by afugate » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:33 am

I use a collapsible boom mic stand. Lightweight, and I can adjust the boom to keep the stand out of the way when necessary to fit into cramped quarters.

I'm not especially satisfied with my current tablet holder, so I'll defer on that.

Oh, I found an old Prince tennis racket bag that I picked up for a buck. Works great to carry my large iPad and stand/holder. Also can fit either my tenor or bass stand. Slings over my shoulder. It's very handy, and has made for some fun comments when I show up to the gig. :lol:

--Andy in OKC
kingsk1117

Post by kingsk1117 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:22 pm

I use a collapsible mic stand without the boom (looks similar to the goStand you mentioned) and screw-on a MANOS tablet holder purchased through AirTurn. It clamps my iPad Pro securely and still swivels easily to change from portrait to landscape if you need to do that due to size of the music. The only problem I have experienced with the MANOS is that if you rotate it too many times, the nut and bolt in the center loosens up and you have to disassemble it to get access to the nut to tighten things back up. But not that much of a big deal, now that I know what to look for and control. I use a hockey duffle bag from a sporting goods store to carry my stands and gear (I travel with a bass and tenor together).
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:02 pm

I'm considering this too. I have a work issued iPad and like it but of course can't use that for the playing I do.

Do you like the iPad based tablets, or the Android? And the prices range all over the place, I'm wondering what options I need.

Return to “Technology”