WTS: Thein Ben Van Dijk Bass Trombone

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed; caveat emptor.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
Neo Bri

WTS: Thein Ben Van Dijk Bass Trombone

Post by Neo Bri » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Hello, wonderful friends of the trombone.

I'm toying with the idea of selling my Thein Bass Trombone. It's the Ben Van Dijk model. A few stats:
• 10 3/8" Kruspe-brass screw bell with engraving and a lovely kranz
• Dual Hagmann valves that have never hung up and given me grief
• Cool spikes on the tuning slides for added intimidation
• Super-long spit valve lever for added personality
• Custom wooden inserts/levers for the grips and valve levers
• Larger slide (.562"-.578" dual bore or similar) with slight wear on the inners (been that way a long time and hasn't really got worse - just rotate the tube)
• Flat Thein case - very classy dark grey with dark green velvet interior. Looking pretty German.

It's a great horn.

Pictures tell more:

Again, I'm just toying with the idea of selling it, and only for a price worthy of the horn. If you are truly interested then you probably have a good idea of what it's worth. Send me an email if you would like to make an offer.

Make me an offer! My new email is the first letters of this little poem:

B-eautiful trombones are what we love,
K-iller Chops-Monsters we all wanna be,
B-illions & Billions of notes played,
I-terations of music profound,
Z-ygote. (I got nuthin')
@outlook.com

Remember, my preferences:

* I strongly prefer to ship CONUS, but will consider shipping overseas
* I consider trades of professional-level instruments but prefer PayPal
* Buyer pays PayPal fees, if any

Thanks!

Re: WTS: Thein Ben Van Dijk Bass Trombone

Post by paulyg » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Aren't these .547/.562 dual-bore? I may have this wrong...
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:38 pm

They might be, but this one has a larger slide.

Post by mrdeacon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:37 pm

paulyg wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:36 pm
Aren't these .547/.562 dual-bore? I may have this wrong...
They make them in multiple bores. I always thought Ben himself played a straight .562 but I could be wrong!
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Bach 42B 1977, Elliott XT
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Symington 1.5 ZR
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm

I played one at ITF in Muncie and it was 547/562. The rep told me they also make straight 562 and 562/578 slides. I liked the horn and wish they would have had a 562 slide to play.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:34 pm

Why the huge slide?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:38 pm

Tbarh wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:34 pm
Why the huge slide?
Why not?
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:34 am

Either you're selling or you're not. It's like someone being pregnant.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Unsolicited bump, this particular horn is fantastic.
If I had the spare cash I'd pick it up myself.

What are you moving on to, instead of the Thein?
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm

WGWTR180 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:34 am
If someone was interested enough to make a great offer, I'll sell it. Lower and I probably won't. You can leave the snarky comments at the door, thanks. I don't want to seem irritated, but no need to post that comment in someone's ad.

Jim, thanks! I'm not sure. I've got a great Rath, Bach, and Courtois. All great. We'll see.

Post by Mv2541 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:26 pm

Neo Bri wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm
WGWTR180 wrote:
If someone was interested enough to make a great offer, I'll sell it. Lower and I probably won't. You can leave the snarky comments at the door, thanks. I don't want to seem irritated, but no need to post that comment in someone's ad.

Jim, thanks! I'm not sure. I've got a great Rath, Bach, and Courtois. All great. We'll see.
Glad you like that Courtois! (also what spec Rath bass do you have?) I am beginning to really love this R3, and I have a small shank leadpipe on the way.
Bard College Conservatory 2020
Shires- #1 Pipe, TW47, Axial, TY, 7RXLWT8 -GB NY 5.25
Rath R100- GB 7C
Shires- Bollinger Slide w/ Nickel Crook, Bollinger Axials, BG, Bollinger Bell- Warburton 1 1/4 JW
Zig Kanstul Bass Trumpet #1- ?
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:45 am

Neo Bri wrote:
WGWTR180 wrote:

Ahhh too bad you have zero sense of humor. People have laughed at a that comment but you're irritated. I guess I should've used a dozen smilies or hashtags to actually express my feelings. The world we live in.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:39 am

I've had the pleasure of sitting next to Brian while he played this trombone and he sounded INCREDIBLE on it.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:34 am

WGWTR180, sorry I misunderstood the humor. I'm not always the most intellectually flexible person and am often times pretty concrete (literal). It's difficult to discern humor through dry text. Especially dry humor. I do have a sense of humor. Please accept my apology.

Mv2541, it's actually not a Rath per se. It's a Corporation Bach 50 with tuning slide, slide nut, and indy Hagmann set installed and modded by Mick Rath. So it looks like an R9 (R-counterweight and all) with a Bach 50 bell. It's a monster. I got it from Chris Stearn of the Royal Scottish Opera. And as expected, I love the Courtois. I've never played one I didn't like, frankly. Thank you for a good experience!

Barry, thank you again! (I still have the Rath R12)

Finally, I love the Thein. My main axe since 2002 and I've kept it in really great condition. The fact is I could use a bit of money, and also I don't need 22 trombones and a dozen other instruments ^_^.

Post by bbocaner » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:48 am

Brian - if, after the R9 and R11Z I've ordered are paid for, I still have any money left, I'm coming for your R12. ;)
cozzagiorgi

Post by cozzagiorgi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:35 am

Brian, what model Courtois did you buy?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
I'm a fan of high end custom and vintage trombones.
Follow my Instagram account @Swisstbone and I'll show you all the nice bones I come across!
#hornoftheweek
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:59 pm

cozzagiorgi wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:35 am
Brian, what model Courtois did you buy?
The 550.
Bard College Conservatory 2020
Shires- #1 Pipe, TW47, Axial, TY, 7RXLWT8 -GB NY 5.25
Rath R100- GB 7C
Shires- Bollinger Slide w/ Nickel Crook, Bollinger Axials, BG, Bollinger Bell- Warburton 1 1/4 JW
Zig Kanstul Bass Trumpet #1- ?
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:06 pm

WGWTR180 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:45 am
Neo Bri wrote:

Ahhh too bad you have zero sense of humor. People have laughed at a that comment but you're irritated. I guess I should've used a dozen smilies or hashtags to actually express my feelings. The world we live in.
Absolutely right there Bill. The size 10 crowd is easily offended, and needs some, regularly.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Kids these days, amirite?
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Parody is a difficult thing to convey over text and usually crosses over the line when there is no difference between your text and a statement someone would unironically make and given historical contention over this issue combined with the fact that there have been nearly identical comments made here and on other similar exchanges by individuals who are very upset at the idea of an unset price, it isn't unreasonable to think that such statements are not made in jest.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Matt K wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 pm
Parody is a difficult thing to convey over text and usually crosses over the line when there is no difference between your text and a statement someone would unironically make and given historical contention over this issue combined with the fact that there have been nearly identical comments made here and on other similar exchanges by individuals who are very upset at the idea of an unset price, it isn't unreasonable to think that such statements are not made in jest.
Matt, it's a maturity situation on here. It's not an eBay, Amazon, or some other operation web, with a quick turnaround in responses. If you don't like the ad in the marketplace, move the F on. Not having developed a sense of humor, communication, comprehension, sophistication is not the problem of the seller, or buyer. Make an offer, just like any real property, vehicle, or other device. And take a good look in the mirror here, for all of the critics. Mature people don't bitch about receiving a prompt reply, or merchandise, they handle it like an adult. Some of the people selling stuff on here are on the road 180+ days or more, gigging, or additionally repairing/constructing a horn, accessory, or a mouthpiece. I've had 2 or more orders for custom stuff, just to fit my size and it takes awhile. Family illness, travel schedules, with TIME, being the biggest challenge for any of us.

If you can't do a web search, and cost the value of this Thein, you probably shouldn't be buying it.
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:10 pm

I agree, although my run-on-sentence probably didn't do the best job of conveying that though. I was defending Neobri's initial interpretation as being quite reasonable and lacking neither a sense of humor nor being too sensitive about the matter.

Fwiw so that I'm actually contributing to the discussion, I've played this horn and I can attest that it's a really fantastic blow. Very, very flexible. It records very well too.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Bri and I have gotten in touch. We are cool with each other.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks folks. We can keep it on topic from here out.

Yeah, it's a great horn! Thank you for the compliments, too.

Return to “(Classifieds) Instruments & Parts”