"St. Thomas Sonata" for trombone (alto)

ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

I'm looking for a solo trombone piece from the 17th century: Sonata trombone & basso. It's also known as "St. Thomas Sonata" for trombone (alto) because it was kept in the library of the Saint Thomas Augustinian Monastery in the Czech Republic. I see that it is listed by several publishers. But does anyone have or know where to find a PDF? A scan of the original would be nice, but I know it's doubtful. I've checked on IMSLP to no avail. Thanks in advance for any information.
ttf_Peter Eiden

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

Looks to me like the "publisher" version are the editions that were edited or arranged by David Shifrin, and published by Gordon Cherry and therefore are under copyright protection.  At $12.50, they are not expensive, and I understand can be downloaded.

There were some library references listed that you might be able to get on loan, or perhaps if you are trying to get to a PDF of the original (public domain) work, perhaps Gordon or David could give you a lead.

Good luck

ttf_Mark LaFratta

Post by ttf_Mark LaFratta »

It is the same piece published by Accura Music in an Irv Wagner edition from 1978. Dr. Wagner was the original discoverer and I believe the first who prepared a modern performance edition. Available for $10 from Hickey's, though the instant download from Cherry Music is convenient.

It actually is on IMSLP too.  here is the link. I think this is the same work. I have not studied the edition at all.
http://hz.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/6/6f/IMSLP133664-WIMA.b821-1_Sonata-fuer-Trombone-e-B.C.pdf

I have never performed it. I was going to do it some years ago on one of my Church gigs with solo alto trombone and organ for a prelude, but when I practiced it with the organist, the organist stopped it not very far into the piece and said "Let's do something else. This is not a very good piece." Oh well. MJL
ttf_Mark LaFratta

Post by ttf_Mark LaFratta »

It is the same piece published by Accura Music in an Irv Wagner edition from 1978. Dr. Wagner was the original discoverer and I believe the first who prepared a modern performance edition. Available for $10 from Hickey's, though the instant download from Cherry Music is convenient.

It actually is on IMSLP too.  here is the link. I think this is the same work. I have not studied the edition at all.
http://hz.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/6/6f/IMSLP133664-WIMA.b821-1_Sonata-fuer-Trombone-e-B.C.pdf

I have never performed it. I was going to do it some years ago on one of my Church gigs with solo alto trombone and organ for a prelude, but when I practiced it with the organist, the organist stopped it not very far into the piece and said "Let's do something else. This is not a very good piece." Oh well. MJL

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”