Your most mind blowing experience playing trombone

Kingfan

Your most mind blowing experience playing trombone

Post by Kingfan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:48 pm

My thread on strangest gigs took off and I love reading the other stories, so I'll start another thread on outstanding moments playing trombone.

Me, I've been playing for over 50 years, but one gig way back stands out. A local community college was getting off the ground. The band director recruited some high school students to fill in on the jazz band until they got a critical mass of registered college students. I was playing my King 4B/5G combo on second or third. Two weeks before the concert the bass bone player leaves and I get moved to bass. At the concert, we just clicked and played better than we had any right to. Having a young John Fechock, then a high school student, on lead bone didn't hurt. We ended with the Stan Kenton version of MacArthur Park arranged by Dee Barton. The fast part at the end, the bass tbone is in unison with the bass guitar. No rests, no place to breath, lots of pedal tones at double forte. I was grooving on the magic of the moment and putting so much air through the horn I almost passed out from lack of oxygen. Seriously - I had tunnel vision, everything was black except a very narrow band in front of my face. Best high I ever had in my life. Better than sex, drugs, or alcohol.

What's your story?
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
King 2B, 3B, 3B-F, 4B-F, Holton TR-180.
bigbandbone

Re: Your most mind blowing experience playing trombone

Post by bigbandbone » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:26 pm

Trading 8's, 4's, 2's with Bill Watrous at Sally's Bananas in Vegas. He could of cut me up bad, but instead we just had fun!

Return to “Performance”