Best warmup mute for bass?

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

In trying to be a better overall music citizen, I want to pick up a warmup mute so I can do my thing without overpowering others.

Can anyone recommend one? I already have a silent brass practice mute, so I'm looking for something compact, but doesn't alter pitch too much.
ttf_matto

Post by ttf_matto »

Bremner Ssh mute. Have it, use it, love it on bass.

ttf_jackbird

Post by ttf_jackbird »

I also have a Shhhmute. It's ok, but kind of like playing with your ears full of water. Fits in the bell for transport, very light. Plastic, so it doesn't get dented or cause dents.
ttf_slideorama

Post by ttf_slideorama »

Before gigs, I like the Best Brass type that fits in the bell. At home, I still prefer the Denis Wick (and his low register "buzz" techniques, too).
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Yeah, this is for use just before a gig, usually on stage or just off.
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

I just recently got a Bremner Shhh... mute, and love it!  The Best Brass is smaller and a bit softer, which makes it better for some applications, but the Bremner plays closer to the open horn in both feel and pitch, which makes it the winner for me. Plays nicely through the range of the instrument too.

Jim Scott
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I have a Liberty mute (Protec).  Similar to Best Brass.  Works very well.  I think I paid $50.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I have a Softoee.  It's really awful at the range extremes.  Best use is as a bucket (draped over the bell from one side).  And it can fit almost anywhere in a case or bag.

So if all you are doing is a gentle warmup, the Softone is fine.  As a practice mute, I can't recommend it.

(personal note: you can ask Roger about it -- he used it as a bucket)
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 03, 2017, 08:20AM(personal note: you can ask Roger about it -- he used it as a bucket)

ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

It's not exactly the same thing, but I recently purchased the newest model of the Yamaha Silent Brass™ system (SP5X). Compared to the older models, the sound coming through the earbuds is better. Although the sound is better, the personal studio, as they call it, doesn't have as many features as the older versions (i.e. reverb adjust, etc). It also has less resistance when you play. However it is still noticeable, especially if you have really good compression/tight slide tolerances. It allows me to practice at all hours and not disturb the neighbors, or most importantly my wife while she's studying. Also, we have a baby on the way, so I'm sure it will continue to prove useful.

From what I've gathered, players of all brass instruments either love it or hate it. The newest model will set you back around $150-200 USD depending where you get it. I recommend eBay or Amazon. You can probably get one of the older models for around $100 from one of the afore mentioned "haters". Try TTF classifieds or eBay.

Good luck!
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Silent Brass not available for bass.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Jun 03, 2017, 09:56AMSilent Brass not available for bass.

The older style works on bass (I know -- I've used one).
ttf_Fridge

Post by ttf_Fridge »

The Bremer. The least amount of back pressure of all the mutes. Also, very light weight, and a helluva lot cheaper than the Yamaha . I used one of these for the last  5-6 years.

Fridge
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Larry Preston Roberson on Jun 03, 2017, 09:40AMIt's not exactly the same thing, but I recently purchased the newest model of the Yamaha Silent Brass™ system (SP5X). Compared to the older models, the sound coming through the earbuds is better. Although the sound is better, the personal studio, as they call it, doesn't have as many features as the older versions (i.e. reverb adjust, etc). It also has less resistance when you play. However it is still noticeable, especially if you have really good compression/tight slide tolerances. It allows me to practice at all hours and not disturb the neighbors, or most importantly my wife while she's studying. Also, we have a baby on the way, so I'm sure it will continue to prove useful.

From what I've gathered, players of all brass instruments either love it or hate it. The newest model will set you back around $150-200 USD depending where you get it. I recommend eBay or Amazon. You can probably get one of the older models for around $100 from one of the afore mentioned "haters". Try TTF classifieds or eBay.

Good luck!

Hi Larry, as I mentioned I already have a silent brass - the older one which is the only one that fits bass.  I'm looking just for something to mute the horn while I warm up on stage.

ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Jun 03, 2017, 09:56AMSilent Brass not available for bass.

Oops, I just read the first three words.

Quote from: tbathras on Jun 03, 2017, 10:50AMHi Larry, as I mentioned I already have a silent brass...

Sorry, I missed that too; I really shouldn't have given up coffee!

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Larry Preston Roberson on Jun 03, 2017, 11:22PMOops, I just read the first three words.

Sorry, I missed that too; I really shouldn't have given up coffee!

I feel your pain.  Had to switch to decaf because of headaches.  Just not the same.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I have a Sshhmute and the classic Humes & Berg

The Sshhmute has a more satisfying sound but I noticed I was always drifting into an "oy" vowel instead of "ah" with my throat. There's something about the way it responds that does that to me.

The H&B sounds lousy but I would be better off warming up on the it.

There isn't enough tuning slide on my horn to get the sshhmute back into pitch.

If you do get a sshhmute don't get the old conical model. You have to spray it with water every time you put it in to keep it from falling out.
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Thanks for all the great info.  I'm going down to Virtuosity in Boston sometime soon here, hopefully they'll have something I can try.

It's good to be armed with a little knowledge.
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Thanks for all the great info.  I'm going down to Virtuosity in Boston sometime soon here, hopefully they'll have something I can try.

It's good to be armed with a little knowledge.

Return to “Accessories”