Concerto in One Movement Advice

ttf_seanschramm

Post by ttf_seanschramm »

Hey guys,

So my audition at UNT requires me to play one of three solos provided (Cameos by Jacobs, Concerto in One Movement by Lebedev, or Sonata in F Minor by Telemann) and I chose Concerto, arranged by Ostrander. However, I know he had to make some adaptions to this piece due to his single rotor bass (changing B naturals to another note, etc). My question is should I play what he arranged, or find the original and play that?

Thanks!
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

When I was a trombone student at UNT my teacher, Leon Brown, had me play the Ostrander version for my jury. I thought it was odd that there was only one measure of introduction, but that was all we knew back then. In the 20th Century. During the Cold War.  Image

This is an entrance audition? A freshman entrance audition? And you're probably doing it unaccompanied.

The Ostrander may not be the ultimate anymore but it has been accepted for so long that I can't imagine it's a deal-killer now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

They basically want to know that you can play. There are only a few notes difference in the solo part. (If you do decide to go for the original you better be able to knock out those extra notes.)

The big difference is that the original has a more substantial intro. And of course... it's really for tuba.  Image

ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

As another UNT alum... may I give some advice? Do Cameos. It is not played as much and is easier. You can feel more free to be a musician with it. I think too many young bass trombonist tackle the Lebdov too quickly.
If you don't have the time to work up Cameos then work with your private lesson teacher to figure out what options you should take to make you sound the best.
If you don't have a private lesson teacher... that is another story.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Personally...... I would play the original. Thats just me though, and having said that, I think there are a few different versions that are accepted. The recording on Randy Hawes CD that I have is slightly different to the version i own but I suppose they are similar.

I successfully auditioned for a school in the states recently and before the audition I think I sent the admin at the school 10 or so emails asking for clarification on various things down on the audition list requirements they gave me. Surely you could email this school and ask which version is acceptable for the audition?
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Something that occurs to me...

They've been teaching trombone at UNT for years.

They've had these pieces on their audition list for years.

It's highly unlikely that the trombone faculty of UNT is unaware that there are different versions of these pieces.

If they didn't specify a particular edition... it's not important to them, not for a freshman audition.

Pick something you can play well.

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on May 23, 2017, 09:24PMI successfully auditioned for a school in the states recently and before the audition I think I sent the admin at the school 10 or so emails asking for clarification on various things down on the audition list requirements they gave me.

Having done that, was there anything they revealed that wasn't in their original recommendations that would have caused you to be rejected if you hadn't done it?

And if so, what school was that?
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: robcat2075 on May 23, 2017, 10:45PMSomething that occurs to me...

They've been teaching trombone at UNT for years.

They've had these pieces on their audition list for years.

It's highly unlikely that the trombone faculty of UNT is unaware that there are different versions of these pieces.

If they didn't specify a particular edition... it's not important to them, not for a freshman audition.

Pick something you can play well.

Having done that, was there anything they revealed that wasn't in their original recommendations that would have caused you to be rejected if you hadn't done it?

And if so, what school was that?

No no, not quite like that, my point was more that i am sure the admin or trombone teacher hosting the audition would be happy to answer the op's question. They would have heaps of emails from applicants asking questions i imagine, and I think its worth asking. Its easy for the OP to do, and if nothing else will put their mind definitely at rest that what they are preparing is fine, rather than assuming. Knowledge like that can be comforting on an audition day.

My list just said things like "All maj/min scales". I asked for clarification, as to exactly what that meant as I was paying for an international flight for that audition and I think that is an ambiguous term. Other questions I asked were in relation to exactly which excerpts from pieces specified on the list they wanted (or if they wanted the whole part prepared) etc.... Nothing major, just definite clarification so my flight money wasn't wasted by me preparing the wrong thing, or focusing on areas that definitely were not going to be asked. My audition was for the Colburn school in L.A. I dont really know if it differs much from other american school audition proceedings.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I think if they dont specify what version, you choose. An audition jury don't matter much about which version is my guess. They know how you play after one or two bars anyway.

Its a long time since I played this but I only got the version with one bar intro. What version is mostly in use to day?
And what is the difference?

Leif
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

To answer your specific question, the pedal Ab in measure 19 of the Ostrander edition is a Cb in the original. There are other minor differences, but that's the only note difference I remember.

And I'll add to the chorus: they care much more about how you play than what you play. Work on playing in tune, in time, with a beautiful sound and beautiful phrasing.

ttf_seanschramm

Post by ttf_seanschramm »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on May 23, 2017, 08:57PMDo Cameos. It is not played as much and is easier. You can feel more free to be a musician with it. I think too many young bass trombonist tackle the Lebdov too quickly.

I've order Cameos, and I may end up doing that, as I've already performed Lebedov already. I feel like it would cheating if I were to do a piece I've already worked up and performed. But that's me.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

That isn't cheating at all!! You are never done with a piece of music. Just because you have preformed it before doesn't mean it goes away.
Good luck!
ttf_W/SBTRB

Post by ttf_W/SBTRB »

Cameos is challenging because of the level of musicality needed to "color " the titles of the various movements. The endurance comes into play because the high notes are in the last movement. Donald Knaub recorded it a number of years back and did a masterful job with it. As far the Lebedev goes the playing demands  and the musicianship are the same.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I wonder what Ostrander was thinking when he cut out the introduction. It's only another 15 seconds.

Quote from: seanschramm on May 24, 2017, 06:46AMI've order Cameos, and I may end up doing that, as I've already performed Lebedov already. I feel like it would cheating if I were to do a piece I've already worked up and performed. But that's me.

There wouldn't be many concert artists with careers if they stopped playing things they had played before.  Image
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I wonder what Ostrander was thinking when he cut out the introduction. It's only another 15 seconds.

Quote from: seanschramm on May 24, 2017, 06:46AMI've order Cameos, and I may end up doing that, as I've already performed Lebedov already. I feel like it would cheating if I were to do a piece I've already worked up and performed. But that's me.

There wouldn't be many concert artists with careers if they stopped playing things they had played before.  Image

Return to “Practice Room”