WTB: Good Alto with Flexible Trigger Design

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed; caveat emptor.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
Neo Bri

WTB: Good Alto with Flexible Trigger Design

Post by Neo Bri » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:07 pm

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there!

Just what it says on the tin. I'm looking for a good alto with a flexible trigger design. Probably will just leave it however it's tuned, but might make it a Bb, a trill, or a C trigger. Ideally, it would be some design where I could use crooks to change the tuning. I think Yamaha makes one like that.

I don't want to break the bank, since this could end up a project horn.

Thank you!

Re: WTB: Good Alto with Flexible Trigger Design

Post by Jomaits » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:51 pm

My shop can make you one of those for $1750. Entirely custom and handmade. Also awesome. Email me at joshomaits at gmail dot com if that’s of interest to you.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 am

Just got hold of one. Thank you!

Post by harrisonreed » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:26 pm

The yamaha one was a prototype. Great idea, but I think Ian Bousfield still has it. Rath might also make one like this.

What did you end up getting?
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:34 pm

harrisonreed wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:26 pm
The yamaha one was a prototype. Great idea, but I think Ian Bousfield still has it. Rath might also make one like this.

Hey! Which Yamaha are you referring to?

I have a Conn 36H on the way. Not exactly what I was after but I'm curious to see what it's all about.

Post by BGuttman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:21 am

You will find the 36H isn't quite as versatile as you want.

It has the old style Conn wrap which means you will need major surgery to change it from Bb to C. You also will need major surgery to make it into a trill valve (not that I've seen much use for one). Stewbones43 converted his to a D horn with an A attachment with a small extension to the main tuning slide.

Still, I like my 36H as an alto for people who don't often play alto.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:44 am

On the other hand, there isn't much to the neckpipe so you could accomplish the same thing by making it removable... I actually think I may have most of the parts for that if you want to come over and check. I have a similar if not identical rotor... why do I have so many parts lying around...?
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:45 am

Interesting! I'll be in touch when it arrives.

Post by harrisonreed » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:24 am

This one: Image

The Bb valve section slides out on tuning legs from the rotor ports and can be replaced with a whole/half step crook.

I cut my tuning slide down on my 36H about half an inch and it greatly improved the horn.
brtnats

Post by brtnats » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:19 am

harrisonreed wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:26 pm

I think the Bb slide on that Yamaha is just a longer tuning slide to plug into their existing trill-valve. Somebody else (Elliot Chasanov? Larry Zalkind? Both?!) has a plug-in valve for their Yamaha alto, and I’ve seen a schematic somewhere of a Bb section that plugged into the Yamaha trill valve.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:44 am

Yes, like I explained in my post with the picture of Ian. , Rath makes one like this too. But Yamaha never got past the prototype, and that's what is in that picture.

Here is the Rath one that can be either:

Matt K

Post by Matt K » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:41 am

It may have been aftermarket; Dillon had a... 671? a few years ago with a similar Bb attachment that, memory serving, came with a trill crook. If it was aftermarket though, the tech who did the work did a very good job with making sure it looked like a stock horn. I know of one other individual who has had another Bb attachment Yamaha as well but with no aftermarket crook. I think it works better on slightly larger altos; while I do like the Yammies, they are on the small side and in Bb they seem to be a little bit on the stuffy side. Or at least the two that I've tried were. As trill valves they work quite well though. That shouldn't be an indictment of Yamaha though because I have no idea what else happened to that horn, it's simply a guess as to why those two horns played the way they did.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:07 am

These are really neat. Love the Yamaha and the Rath...would be nice to have either.

Post by harrisonreed » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:18 pm

Just remember, the Bb valve gives you access to nearly any trill you might want starting at and going above Eb or maybe D in the staff. The whole step / half step valve is really kind of gimmicky and doesn't sound very good as a mechanical trill.

I don't know if Lindberg was the originator of the concept, but he was one of the first to adopt the Bb attachment for trills. You get all the lip trills of the Eb horn, and almost all the lip trills of a Bb tenor with the valve, in addition to some cheap mechanical trills in the Bb partial. But a trill valve gives you either whole or half step trills that don't sound right.

I think it was adopted because all of the "alto trombone concertos" that Lindberg championed were really for Bb tenor, as evidenced by the lip trills required
StevenC

Post by StevenC » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:39 pm

BGuttman wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:21 am

What makes the 36H especially good for alto dabblers? Every once in a while I find myself in a position where it would be nice to play alto.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:43 pm

StevenC wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:39 pm
BGuttman wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:21 am

What makes the 36H especially good for alto dabblers? Every once in a while I find myself in a position where it would be nice to play alto.
1. It's bore is similar to many tenors. You won't have to work on changing how you blow into it.

2. The Bb valve can be a help when you have a brain f--t and forget you are playing an Eb instrument. Press the trigger and you are playing a tenor.

The alto purists look down on the 36H but I really like mine.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “(Classifieds) Instruments & Parts”