Modifying a mouthpiece

ttf_Arrowhead99

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

Are there any repair techs that specialize in sanding down a mp to make it fit into the receiver more?
Last year I purchased a LOUD mp- great potential- but it doesn't fit into far enough into the horn. I tried it on a Getzen, Shires, etc....
I would try it myself but I don't have a lathe, and I would imagine doing it by hand would be too time consuming.....
ttf_Geezerhorn

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Well, first off, don't do it.

Okay, assuming your mouthpiece is not valuable AND you are dead set to do it:

The way I would do it would be to put a dowel through the mouthpiece and hold it up against a drill with a sanding disk - that I secured in a vice. The mouthpiece ought to turn. If not after a quick test, I would find another way.

Best bet; find a good tech.

Ahem! Best bet; find a good tech.

...Geezer
ttf_JohnL

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_JohnL »

I had a couple done by Bob Reeves and was very happy with the results. Not sure how much they charge these days.
ttf_Matt K

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? Were these stencils made by Houser? I thought I recalled him making the LOUD pieces but I could be wrong about that.  Either way, he modifies steel mouthpeices and might be worth checking out.
ttf_daveyboy37

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

How far in does it fit? Are you sure it has the right shank? It may also be part of the design, so I would definitely contact them regarding your issues before you having it sanded or turned down.
ttf_Arrowhead99

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

So I emailed their admin and they said I"m the first person to say anything about the mps sticking out too far. My thoughts are if enough people complain, maybe they'll do something about it Image
ttf_Doug Elliott

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

"Nobody's ever complained before" is a pretty standard answer for any business problem.
ttf_Blowero

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on May 23, 2017, 09:40AMWell, first off, don't do it.

Okay, assuming your mouthpiece is not valuable AND you are dead set to do it:

The way I would do it would be to put a dowel through the mouthpiece and hold it up against a drill with a sanding disk - that I secured in a vice. The mouthpiece ought to turn. If not after a quick test, I would find another way.

Best bet; find a good tech.

...Geezer
Do this if you want to destroy your mouthpiece. If you don't want to destroy it, take it to someone who has a lathe and can turn down the shank. I think any of the reputable techs who frequent the forum could do that.
ttf_Matt K

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Blowero on May 24, 2017, 07:48PMDo this if you want to destroy your mouthpiece. If you don't want to destroy it, take it to someone who has a lathe and can turn down the shank. I think any of the reputable techs who frequent the forum could do that.

Just make sure they know its a steel mouthpiece! I understand its different than brass and would be quite surprising if you weren't anticipating it being not brass when they start putting it on the lathe.
ttf_john sandhagen

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

If the tech cant't see the difference between a Stainless and silverplated mouthpiece, run...
ttf_Matt K

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: john sandhagen on May 25, 2017, 06:37AMIf the tech cant't see the difference between a Stainless and silverplated mouthpiece, run...

Might be too late by that point  Image
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Quote from: Matt K on May 23, 2017, 10:17AMHave you tried contacting the manufacturer? Were these stencils made by Houser? I thought I recalled him making the LOUD pieces but I could be wrong about that.  Either way, he modifies steel mouthpeices and might be worth checking out.

The old versions were made by him.  The new ones are not, to my knowledge.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Modifying a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Quote from: Matt K on May 23, 2017, 10:17AMHave you tried contacting the manufacturer? Were these stencils made by Houser? I thought I recalled him making the LOUD pieces but I could be wrong about that.  Either way, he modifies steel mouthpeices and might be worth checking out.

The old versions were made by him.  The new ones are not, to my knowledge.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”