Bass suggestions

Indiebass1993

Bass suggestions

Post by Indiebass1993 »

Hey all!

In a year or so I'll be in the market for a new bass trombone. I'm looking at 4 potential bass trombones and am hoping I could get some advice/suggestions. Currently I play a Courtois 550BH. The 4 that I'll be looking at are the Courtois Creation bass, Bach 50af3, a Greenhoe bass, or an Edwards bass. I have some time to decide, but I'd like to see what you all have to say about them in terms of playability for those that have played any of them.

Thanks!
tbonesullivan

Re: Bass suggestions

Post by tbonesullivan »

What level of player are you, and do you study privately? Usually these would be questions best answered by someone familiar with your playing.

What are you looking to improve upon over the Courtois 550BH?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Indiebass1993

Post by Indiebass1993 »

I have a degree in bass trombone performance. Basically looking for something that isn't as stuffy as my Courtois. It has a nice velvety sound, but it takes a lot of work to have clear, pointed articulations.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Where are you playing? What mouthpiece?

I'd say there are more options even than those, with Shires and M&W at the top of the list as well.

Anything with rotors is going to have an easier front than the Courtois, I would imagine.

I would personally love a good 50AF3, but you really have to play the individual example to know if it'll be good or not. I've played one world beater (better than almost any other bass I have had my hands on) and a good 6 or 7 really pretty bad instruments.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Would a leadpipe change help?
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but have you had a good pro bass bone player take a listen to you? Often what you hear behind the bell is not what the audience hear?

Also is all the soft equipment working properly? Then is your mouthpiece to big/small for where your playing is now, and then if all of that is correctly working then look at the horn
Indiebass1993

Post by Indiebass1993 »

I have been taking lessons once a month, and I record myself playing often to get feedback. As for what mouthpiece, I play on a Laskey 85MD. I've played on TONS of bass mouthpieces as I work at a music store in the midwest that happens to have a larger than average selection of trombones and related accessories. I've tried bass shires a ton, with both trubore and axial valves, and haven't been a big fan of that sound. Not saying they're bad, they're actually quite good, just not the sound I'm looking for. I much prefer the Rath trombone my instructor played.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

If you like Raths, then the Bach is probably out of the picture, and perhaps the other Courtois and the more Bach-like Greenhoes.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

If you like the Rath, then why not look at getting a Rath? Do you know what kind of setup your instructor played? Edwards and/or shires can probably get somewhat close to that. It sounds like you are probably needing something outside of the standard offerings from the big companies.

Your problem is exactly the type of issue that modular trombones were designed to solve.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
GBP

Post by GBP »

All the horns mentioned would be fine choices. The biggest factor is what you sound like playing it.

Return to “Instruments”