NY Bach 6 is shockingly warm

TromboneSam

NY Bach 6 is shockingly warm

Post by TromboneSam » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 am

My main axe for the last 4 years has been a very good “loopy bell” King 3B, paired with a Bach Corp. 7C. Between the slide, partial response, and tuning, it was the best horn that I’d played and owned for a long time, especially since I love a warm, dark tone.

About a week ago I picked up a New York Bach 6 (no Roman numerals, but a “425” bell flare) from 1936. Serial No. 6xx. I was wanting to try something quite a bit smaller because I want to explore different parts of my sound and playing. What I found was that like most Bachs, it’s a harder blow than the King, despite being .023” smaller! On top of that, the sound has a lot more depth than my 3B when paired with my MV 7 mouthpiece. By that I mean the overtones are much more present throughout the registers. I didn’t realize such a small horn could be so much darker, warmer, and at times fuller than my 3B.

The horn is all original and probably spent the better part of about 50 years (or most of its life, even) in a closet based on the lacquer and slide. Yellow brass outers and slide crook. Screw joint between slide and gooseneck, but doesn’t has a slide lock. Apparently this one is similar in setup to the 6ii in the gooseneck and tuning slide, which might be why the sound is big. Has anyone else had a similar experience with NY 6’s or even 8’s? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Finetales

Re: NY Bach 6 is shockingly warm

Post by Finetales » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Old 6s are my favorite Bach instrument. I've played a couple that were absolutely magical, especially for lyrical playing. Blew me away in a way that no other Bach (and not many instruments from any brand) has done. My daily driver for tenor is a stellar loopy 3B, and there is no better horn out there for what I do with it. But if I was often called to do the things those 6s really excel at, you can bet I'd have one. Even so I'd love to own one someday.
Burgerbob

Re: NY Bach 6 is shockingly warm

Post by Burgerbob » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:41 pm

Yup, the 6 is one of those horns that was just right from the start (like the 2B and 3B, actually). I think they lost out only because they got it right in too small a package for most modern playing. The Kings have remained with us because they are more modern sized.

The 2 or 3 NY and MV 6s (all different) I've played have all been amazing, with the most defined slots above high Bb I've ever encountered.

Return to “Instruments”