Multiple logins curiosity

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
timothy42b

Multiple logins curiosity

Post by timothy42b » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:59 am

When I log in, I almost always get the login screen at least one more time.

Now, I never save my password nor stay logged in. I do this for a very specific reason: I'm forgetful. If I don't use my password regularly, I'm going to forget it. I may or may not find where I wrote it down. So typing my password every time I log in helps me remember.

Here's what happens: I type my login name, I type my password, I click the login button with the mouse. (I don't hit return - never know what that will do.) The screen blinks, and I'm back at the same login screen. I don't get an error (password not found, etc.), I'm just back at that screen. The second or sometimes third time I do this I get logged in and everything works fine.

It's not a problem nor an annoyance, just a minor irritation, so nothing that needs to be "fixed," but I'm curious about why this happens.
Matt K

Re: Multiple logins curiosity

Post by Matt K » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:26 am

Possibly some residual cached data. Does it happen on any other machine like that (or browser)? Could you let me know the OS and browser you are having issues with?

-Matt
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 am

Yes, I use Win10 and IE. I'll see if it happens on my Linux/GoogleChrome machine, I can't remember.

My working hypothesis is I type too fast, and network latency loses a bit. So I'm going to try very slow entry a bit and see what happens.
JohnL

Post by JohnL » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am

I see it too, running Win7 and Chrome.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:13 am

It just did it again, with me waiting after each keystroke. So maybe not a timing thing.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:49 pm

I just hit "reply" on my phone (Chrome). It took me to the log in screen. I logged in, then got the log in screen a second time. Logged in a second time and was able to reply here. My password is saved, so I don't think this issue has to do with typing the password.
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:00 pm

It may have something to do with the update we just did so I did some backend cleaning. Also, my apologies to every as well, this cleaning does require that everybody logs back in on all their devices.

If that didn't fix your issue, could you try again on Firefox or Chrome and let me know if you experienced a similar issue?

(Also, the speed of typing would only influence the password if you typed so fast you made an error. There is no data transferred until you actually hit the button. Now, if you go to the login screen and then wait more than 7200 seconds (2 hours) to press the button, that would cause the issue but I'm reluctant to increase that # because it evidently causes other issues.)

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”