Embouchure Pedagogy Resource

How and what to teach and learn.
Wilktone

Embouchure Pedagogy Resource

Post by Wilktone » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:20 pm

I have just posted a new brass embouchure pedagogy resource on my web site. I try to explain some of the information I learned from Doug Elliott and some others about brass embouchure technique. I used photos and videos from a couple of different research projects I conducted as examples.

Those of you who have followed some embouchure topics here with Doug and some others participating will already be familiar with some of it.

http://www.wilktone.com/?page_id=5619

Any errors in there are my own, and not to be blamed on Doug or my references. If you have questions or corrections, please let me know.

Dave
David Wilken
www.wilktone.com
aasavickas

Re: Embouchure Pedagogy Resource

Post by aasavickas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:38 am

Good stuff. I really appreciate all your work on this stuff.

Many teachers seem to think that embouchure is some mysterious thing and avoid giving much advice beyond what people said in the 1880's. Probably the worst thing I see teachers doing is basically saying, play exactly like I do and you will be doing it correctly. Which is fine if your anatomy is very similar to the teacher but a big problem if its not. I remember reading a story of a very solid player being told by a famous teacher that, despite the fact that he sounded good and his chops did what he wanted, that his embouchure was "wrong" and told him to go practice with this new embouchure and crippled the guys playing for more than a year.

This type of info goes a long way towards taking away the mystery of how chops actually work. Understanding how the pivots work and incorporating them into my warm up really helped lock in a few areas of my playing.

I think you are doing a great service to brass playing teaching.

IMHO, I think that most teacher focus too much on breathing bc it is easy to teach. However, this over emphasis on a relatively simple concept tends to lead to unintended negative consequences. More air will only help if your chops are already balanced, efficient, and coordinated.

Thanks again.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:57 am

Here is one tuba player's take on the pivot:

http://www.brasstutorials.com/tuba-tips.html

Hee, hee.
Savio

Post by Savio » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:32 pm

What always surprise me is how little open minded pedagogs are. My method is right....

Leif
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:14 am

aasavickas wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:38 am
Good stuff. I really appreciate all your work on this stuff.

Many teachers seem to think that embouchure is some mysterious thing and avoid giving much advice beyond what people said in the 1880's.
Thank you. Yes, I wanted to post this resource because even though the information has been around for about 75 years now, it's largely been ignored or misunderstood.
timothy42b wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:57 am
Here is one tuba player's take on the pivot:

http://www.brasstutorials.com/tuba-tips.html

Hee, hee.
Yeah, that's pretty wrong. It's possible that he's actually doing what he describes, but playing sensations are notoriously difficult to describe accurately. I skimmed through some of the other instrument resources there and similarly found some stuff that is wrong or incomplete. Other stuff in there is good, but unless you have enough of a background to know what's what, you can't tell what to use and what to leave behind.
Savio wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:32 pm
What always surprise me is how little open minded pedagogs are. My method is right....
In the U.S., at least, we have a long tradition that teaches brass students to NOT analyze your embouchure, to not think about how you play, and to encourage the same with your students. It's a cycle of ignorance that continues. Hopefully a little empirical knowledge will eventually seep into mainstream brass pedagogy and we can put that attitude to rest soon.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, everyone.

Dave
David Wilken
www.wilktone.com
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:08 am

Dave,

I saw your resource about a week ago (I think) on the Pedagogy forum of Facebook. I'd love to send you a few clips of me playing too, if it helps add anything to your resource.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3

Return to “Teaching & Learning”