Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!

ttf_JPMcAdara

Post by ttf_JPMcAdara »

Quote from: mellotbone on Apr 30, 2012, 10:31AMAnyone ever have a problem having a mouthpiece in your carry-on?

I have a 2 day trip and I'd like to take my mouthpiece to buzz while I'm away from my horn.

I have never had a problem with bringing it aboard.  There are a few times where I have had to take it out and show them what it was, but it has never been an issue.

ttf_johntarr

Post by ttf_johntarr »

Quote I have never had a problem with bringing it aboard.  There are a few times where I have had to take it out and show them what it was, but it has never been an issue.
Same here.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

It's 3am, I'm tired, but I can't sleep. I have a vacation with my family in less than 2 weeks and we'll be flying out of the country. I just turned 17 today. I don't know if that's relevant.

Anyway, I was wondering if the standard Getzen case for a 725 would fit in an overhead bin. If not, and if I can't somehow get it onto the plane, would it survive being tossed in with the cargo and last a 12 hour flight to Vietnam? If it gets fixed in time, I might just take my Bach TB300 instead.

I would leave it at home, if I could, but I go through a weird trombone-withdrawal. I expect it's something like druggies get. Image Not to mention that I have marching band almost as soon as I come back; it'd be kinda helpful if I could at least practice and memorize my music. Image

While I'm on that track, anyone ever gigged in Vietnam and know if there's a store that rents decent instruments?
ttf_Thomas Matta

Post by ttf_Thomas Matta »

Quote from: K.Trinh4213 on Jun 03, 2012, 12:24AMIt's 3am, I'm tired, but I can't sleep. I have a vacation with my family in less than 2 weeks and we'll be flying out of the country. I just turned 17 today. I don't know if that's relevant.

Anyway, I was wondering if the standard Getzen case for a 725 would fit in an overhead bin. If not, and if I can't somehow get it onto the plane, would it survive being tossed in with the cargo and last a 12 hour flight to Vietnam? If it gets fixed in time, I might just take my Bach TB300 instead.

I would leave it at home, if I could, but I go through a weird trombone-withdrawal. I expect it's something like druggies get. Image Not to mention that I have marching band almost as soon as I come back; it'd be kinda helpful if I could at least practice and memorize my music. Image

While I'm on that track, anyone ever gigged in Vietnam and know if there's a store that rents decent instruments?

Resist the urge to take your trombone on vacation - just go enjoy the trip with your family!

Vietnam is beautiful - and the sights, sounds, smells, tastes and the warm people will more than make up for you not having your trombone.

If you must, just bring a mouthpiece.

Enjoy your trip! And enjoy the best iced coffee on the planet!!
ttf_Mahlerbone

Post by ttf_Mahlerbone »

Quote from: Stretch Longarm on Jan 11, 2012, 03:17PMI fly a lot on Southwest, they are great about instruments - there are two pilots I see on some runs who carry their guitars on! Several times, I've had flight attendants open the closet at the front and tell me to put the horn in there - then bring it out to me as we deplane - good service. Some even know that it's not "golf clubs" or a "saxophone"...

I'll be flying Southwest in early November from Hartford to Baltimore - I hope I get the same good service.
ttf_Mahlerbone

Post by ttf_Mahlerbone »

I paid the $10 for the early bird check in. So I'm sure everything will be fine.  Plus, my mother was flying Southwest yesterday to Florida and I had her ask them what the policy for bringing a trombone on board was. They said as long as it fits in the overhead bin, it's fine.  And they said even if it doesn't they would store it someplace safe like the flight attendant's closet, and have it ready for me when I exit the plane. So nothing to worry about.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

I Flew to and from Canada on Frontier.

98% hassle free!  Tuxedo bag with a small bore, no problems with the overheads of course, no passengers slamming rollerbags into my horn.

I'd like to thank the AFM for the new bill... and Frontier for not being near the headache that some of their competitors have been... this was the first no hassle trip i've had in god knows how long.  Best of all?  No repair bills!

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Mahlerbone on Aug 05, 2012, 11:33AMI paid the $10 for the early bird check in. So I'm sure everything will be fine.  Plus, my mother was flying Southwest yesterday to Florida and I had her ask them what the policy for bringing a trombone on board was. They said as long as it fits in the overhead bin, it's fine.  And they said even if it doesn't they would store it someplace safe like the flight attendant's closet, and have it ready for me when I exit the plane. So nothing to worry about.
Ok, I'm flying to Vegas in November on Southwest and bringing a bass bone in a Protec-like french case.  Its the first time in years I've flown with a horn and I'm pretty nervous.  I've been reading all these posts describing people having pretty positive experiences with carrying on a horn, but I can't ignore the fact that all the carry-on information on the airlines' sites is VERY specific -  including Southwest.  Basically if the item is bigger than 10" x 16" x 24" or 36" total (Width + Height + Length), it has to be checked.  Can't afford an extra seat and it sounds like checking the horn will require a much heavier-duty case and even that is no guarantee that the TSA folk won't pitch it around.  I might end up just shipping it or something.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Frank, A bass bone is a totally different animal.

Good news is the airlines are supposed to be more accommodating to musicians.  I'd call Southwest and ask some questions to see what they can do for you.

Good luck!
ttf_jerryzz

Post by ttf_jerryzz »

I have a Tank for tenor trombone that is currently for sale on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200844144729?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Great case, just don't do as much traveling anymore.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

and your buy it now is for more than i got mine new for...

that said, i'll probably bid on it.
ttf_sfboner

Post by ttf_sfboner »

I've found service from Southwest to be pretty terrible in this respect.  The last time I flew, there was a young guy who had to gate check a bass in a Protec case.  I saw him at the luggage pickup and he said the horn was not damaged.  I sometimes have a difficult time finding a big enough space for my alto case on SW.  Were I to need to bring a bass on SW I would use a well-packed Eastman case and gate check it.  Zak's advice to call ahead is a great idea.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I've flown Southwest a few times and I've always been able to get my case above head.  One time it was the larger SKB case.  I guess it all has to do with specific circumstance.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey Everyone

I use Glenn Cronhkite two pieces travel bag for my bach 50 bass. It works on the small CRJ plans, I can take the slide and bell section apart and put the slide above head and the bell section under the front chair. I'm frequently travel between U.S. and Asia, most time I fly with delta airline and it was fine.

ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

I'm taking SW to NYC in mid-december... i'll let y'all know how it goes.  i paid the extra for the early bird boarding.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Nov 27, 2012, 09:54PMI'm taking SW to NYC in mid-december... i'll let y'all know how it goes.  i paid the extra for the early bird boarding.

For what it's worth, I fly with my bass trombone in a Bona case 3-5 times/year.  I always try to fly Southwest or Air Tran specifically because they only use one size of airplane and I know my horn will fit in the overhead.
I always spring for the Early Bird option on Southwest and I pay the extra fee for an Exit Row to board early on AirTran.  I consider it a cost of doing business.
Knock on wood, I have never had a problem.  Good luck to us all!
ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Nov 27, 2012, 09:54PMI'm taking SW to NYC in mid-december... i'll let y'all know how it goes.  i paid the extra for the early bird boarding.

I have flown SW for all my round of grad school auditions with no trouble. I have a marcus bonna case and always pay the extra $10 to board early. I'll be flying out on SW in a few weeks for winter break and hope it will be just as easy.  Image

Next hurdle, practicing in the airport! I think I'll be in vegas for 2 hours. Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I just finished a flight with united from SAN to SFO and I had no idea how that tsa letter saved my trombone from being checked. I actually got through security fine, but the gate agent initially insisted that I could not have 3 carry ons, so I assumed he meant that I should not have been let through security. I took out the letter that said I was allowed to get to the gate with my 3 carryons and I never claimed I could get on board with 3 carryons.

He almost dismissed the letter since it was from 2002(flawed logic), but I let him research and I guess he learned about a policy, he said he was almost certain of. I did not make any snide comments and he left me off the hook, by checking my suitcase. I used the closet on the plane for my trombone and the flight attendants were very accomadating. I had a styrofoam cone in bell just in case it did have to be checked. I figure I can be continually "let of the hook" due to the flaw in tsa's and the individual airlines' policy. Whats the chance I will get the same gate agent,  right? Felt compelled to share my story, because I could not find too many flying with united.
ttf_Thomas Matta

Post by ttf_Thomas Matta »

Just came back from JEN in Atlanta - my Walt Johnson made it thru checked baggage back and forth no troubles.

Thank you, Walt!
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

I missed you! 

Took Southwest to NYC, they get my hardy recommendation....

Delta - which I took to ATL, gets mixed reviews, but they allowed me to take my horn on both times with no aggravation whatsoever - so thumbs up!

@ Snipershock2 - three carry-ons is and has always been a no-no - don't ruin it for the rest of us, now Image
ttf_Snipershock2

Post by ttf_Snipershock2 »

Don't worry, on my return trip, I payed the baggage fees to save face. The strange thing is that my return flight was so empty, some passengers had to be moved into the rear plane for "weight and balance issues." I might have still been able to get away with it.
ttf_trombone addict

Post by ttf_trombone addict »

I carried on my shires tenor in an SKB case on a united flight without a hassle.
ttf_Brer Cottonmouth

Post by ttf_Brer Cottonmouth »

A better link to the HornGuys "flying with a trombone" info is http://www.hornguys.com/cases.php
ttf_sdjazz

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

Hello, I would like to confirm whether a Protec contoured tenor case will fit into the bins on a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737. I'm flying to New York with my school on Sunday (out of San Diego into Newark).
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: sdjazz on Feb 10, 2013, 08:40PMHello, I would like to confirm whether a Protec contoured tenor case will fit into the bins on a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737. I'm flying to New York with my school on Sunday (out of San Diego into Newark).

If your case has a height dimension under 14ins and you're one of the first 60 to board you should not have an issue.
ttf_sdjazz

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Feb 10, 2013, 09:04PMIf your case has a height dimension under 14ins and you're one of the first 60 to board you should not have an issue.

How about length?
ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

On Southwest your case will fit. Just go on the plane and keep going until your case will fit. Southwest doesn't have dividers in the overheads so our cases fit. If you can add the $10 early boarding option do it.
ttf_JLivorsi

Post by ttf_JLivorsi »

I flew United with a BAM softpack jazz case and the case has been amazing except for when I flew to NY last year. It looked like they stabbed it with a pole. It tooke 3 months to have them replace it, but I worked my *** off to get them to realize that they needed to replace my $300 case and not replace it with an $88 case that they tried.

One thing I learned. You just have to keep fighting and eventually they'll get sick of you
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Image United Breaks Guitars...

If you don't know the song look it up on YouTube
ttf_JLivorsi

Post by ttf_JLivorsi »

Doug, I'm well aware of that song.

I wish I saw that video before I flew last spring...I was late to the party
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: sdjazz on Feb 10, 2013, 09:26PMHow about length?

Not a problem.
ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

I will be flying out from Indianapolis to DC (nice short flight, but it means I'll be flying on one of those Embraer regional gets (EMB-170/175 is what I usually get on this flight) - US Air) on Sunday for Spring Break and then ETW, so this means I'll be bringing my bass with me. I store my 1052FD in a Cronkhite cordura large tenor bag - it fits a bit snugly, but nicely. Horn Guys lists that case with dimensions of 37"x10"x10", which with a total of 57" is well within US Air's 75" total L+W+H carry-on size limit. I just wanted to check in here to see if anyone has had experiences with a similar plane/case, just so I can be sure that I won't be asked to check it (which will completely destroy my bass, and I have to play in the Division 1 final round a week and a half later) at the gate.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Your problem might not be the L+W+H total - on a lot of those smaller jets the overhead bins only have a height clearance of 8-9ins at the opening. You might not be able to fit the bell in the bin or you might have to do some fancy maneuvers/gymnastics to accomplish it.

With a bass, anytime you take a small regional jet, be prepared for a gate check.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Or drive.  It's less than 600 miles - you can do that in a day.
ttf_bassmike

Post by ttf_bassmike »

I spent six weeks in China/Japan on tour and had no problems with my bass bone in a Protec case with the exception of the Boeing 777.  In all of those aircraft, the overhead was just an inch or two too short for my horn to fit.  On the United flights to and from China, I flew economy while my horn flew first class in the coat closet.  Of all the airlines we flew, the Chinese ones were the most accommodating, while the Japanese ones were much less so.  On every flight in Japan I had to check my horn even on a flight on a 777 where there were about 100 people on board.
ttf_Driving Park

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Mar 05, 2013, 03:04PMYour problem might not be the L+W+H total - on a lot of those smaller jets the overhead bins only have a height clearance of 8-9ins at the opening. You might not be able to fit the bell in the bin or you might have to do some fancy maneuvers/gymnastics to accomplish it.

With a bass, anytime you take a small regional jet, be prepared for a gate check.

If I fly the model of plane I specified earlier, the listed size for a bin is 24"x16"x10", which leads me to believe the bell would go in fine. The length is shorter than the Cronkhite's length, but I believe with something as skinny as the Cronkhite it's possible to overflow into the next bin over on this kind of plane. I'm currently trying to confirm that.

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Mar 05, 2013, 03:22PMOr drive.  It's less than 600 miles - you can do that in a day.
About 10 hours drive time, to be exact. I've done it several times. The problem is I already have the plane tickets booked and have for quite some time, and would rather fly. Of course, the horn is the first priority (after me) and driving would be the safest, but I have a substantial hard case I could use if I needed to check it, and I am trying to see if I can use my much more comfortable Cronkhite bag. In the end if my chances of carrying the Cronkhite on are still dubious I could always bring both and check the hard case with or without the horn inside if absolutely necessary.
ttf_Doug Elliott

That would involve carrying both cases to the gate, and I don't think you'll get very far trying to take both through security.  Take the hard case.  Carry it on the bigger plane and gate-check it when you have to for the commuter plane.  I don't think either the bell or the length will fit.  Or at least you can't count on it.  Take something with you to measure the bins and report back.
ttf_Driving Park

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Mar 05, 2013, 07:22PMThat would involve carrying both cases to the gate, and I don't think you'll get very far trying to take both through security.  Take the hard case.  Carry it on the bigger plane and gate-check it when you have to for the commuter plane.  I don't think either the bell or the length will fit.  Or at least you can't count on it.  Take something with you to measure the bins and report back.

Makes sense. Hard case it is. I'll try to get the bins measured while I'm at it. Thank you for the advice!
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: Driving Park on Mar 05, 2013, 07:04PMIf I fly the model of plane I specified earlier, the listed size for a bin is 24"x16"x10", which leads me to believe the bell would go in fine. The length is shorter than the Cronkhite's length, but I believe with something as skinny as the Cronkhite it's possible to overflow into the next bin over on this kind of plane. I'm currently trying to confirm that.

I may be mistaken (it's been known to happen Image) but I think I've flown on that type of plane before. If I recall correctly, the bin interior was as you describe, but the way the bin door worked there was only a 8-9in opening into the bin. The divider walls between bins did not permit you to put anything across two bins as many larger jets do.

I hope for your sake I'm wrong - but if I were you I'd go prepared for a gate check. (I do that anyway even with big jets - best to be safe than sorry)
ttf_Driving Park

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Mar 05, 2013, 07:35PMI may be mistaken (it's been known to happen Image) but I think I've flown on that type of plane before. If I recall correctly, the bin interior was as you describe, but the way the bin door worked there was only a 8-9in opening into the bin. The divider walls between bins did not permit you to put anything across two bins as many larger jets do.

I hope for your sake I'm wrong - but if I were you I'd go prepared for a gate check. (I do that anyway even with big jets - best to be safe than sorry)

The way you describe it sounds like the way I remember the bins from last time I flew on one. You're probably correct, but don't worry about my horn - Mr. Elliott (Doug?) convinced me to check the horn in my hard case. Image
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

NEWS FLASH ---- NEW TSA REGS!!!!!

The TSA just announced you can now carry on -

- folding knives with blades under 3.25ins
- hockey sticks
- lacrosse sticks
- up to 2 golf clubs
- baseball bats

So if we EVER get grief again about taking a trombone on board....

BTW - as a reminder, the TSA does now permit musical instruments if they can either

- fit in the overhead
- be strapped in a seat for which they have a ticket
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Mar 06, 2013, 05:14AM

BTW - as a reminder, the TSA does now permit musical instruments if they can either

- fit in the overhead

Does this count against your "carry-on" limit?  If they announce "only one carry-on bag per passenger" would you have to check your carry-on bag so you could still get the trombone on?
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Mar 06, 2013, 06:42AMDoes this count against your "carry-on" limit?  If they announce "only one carry-on bag per passenger" would you have to check your carry-on bag so you could still get the trombone on?

Your horn is 'one of two'.
ttf_Doug Elliott

You can't always count on carrying anything on.  Yesterday I was on a flight that arrived at the gate with passengers already on it and the bins were ALL full.  They were gate-checking everything that wouldn't go under a seat.  Fortunately I was not carrying my gig bag.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Mar 05, 2013, 07:35PM... go prepared for a gate check. (I do that anyway even with big jets - best to be safe than sorry)

Image Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Hey everyone. I will be flying to the Army School of Music on Wednesday to give it a go playing trombone for a living. Ill be taking both my horns in a Tank double case and Ill let you all know how it goes. So far it's a pretty snug fit bjt it should be fine. the CL2000 valve is pretty big for the case but it fits...
ttf_Driving Park

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Mar 05, 2013, 07:22PMThat would involve carrying both cases to the gate, and I don't think you'll get very far trying to take both through security.  Take the hard case.  Carry it on the bigger plane and gate-check it when you have to for the commuter plane.  I don't think either the bell or the length will fit.  Or at least you can't count on it.  Take something with you to measure the bins and report back.

I didn't have a chance to measure the overhead bins, but I can definitely say that they weren't tall enough to fit my 9.5" bell through the opening. They were fairly long so my Cronkhite MIGHT have been able to fit lengthwise, but most likely not height wise. It was not an Embraer 170/175 either; it was a Canadiar CL65 which was similar but probably a little smaller. Luckily, I checked the Getzen hard case with clothes providing additional protection (in the bell, around the bell, etc.) and plenty of Fragile stickers and the horn arrived in DCA undamaged. Image
ttf_tbonedude89

Post by ttf_tbonedude89 »

Just found this online:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/427757/july-15-2013/people-destroying-america---lynn-harrell

Maybe its a little off topic, but mght be of concern for people who've opened frequent flyer accounts for their trombones Image .
ttf_trombone addict

Post by ttf_trombone addict »

I'm flying to Boston next Tuesday to take lessons and do some visits, I'm bringing my SKB large tenor case and I'm going to try and carry it on...it worked for me last time on my Chicago-Houston flight!

Any extra tips other than dress professionally and be nice?

Return to “Instruments”