Identifing C.G.Conn Trombone.

Bowie90

Identifing C.G.Conn Trombone.

Post by Bowie90 »

:
hi: Looks to be Henry Selmar Trombne design made by G.G.Conn Ltd.

About Me:
I do not play an instrument, I'm a singer. However, my father in law played the world over with Stan Kenton, Frank Sinatra, etc... he has a Selmer Trumpet, but does not recall ever having the Trombone we found in the attic. I am searching for some answers on this trombone: the bell says C.G. CONN LTD. serial #203899.
BGuttman

Re: Identifing C.G.Conn Trombone.

Post by BGuttman »

Conn and Selmer were different companies and as far as I know neither copied the other.

Some pictures might help. Especially the bell engraving and the bracework near the mouthpiece receiver and on the bell section. Also the area near the serial number (although you could not show the last couple of digits).

The serial number may not be complete; 203899 could be from the 1920s, but that would not usually go with an engraving that doesn't include "Elkhart, Ind". After 999999 Conn started using letters, and later letter prefixes (GC 000000). So it's very possible that your serial has a couple of letters in front that are also important.

Conn trombones will have a model number near the serial number. one or two digits followed by the letter H. Knowing the model number can help immensely.

Some trombones (particularly the Director student model) will have a name on the area where the mouthpiece goes in. Except for the Director, models are usually puns on Conn, like Connquest or Connstellation.

I'm sure with a little more information we can identify the trombone.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Glog

Post by Glog »

So far, we can say that this is 1923.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Glog wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:57 am So far, we can say that this is 1923.
Not so sure.

Also, a 1923 horn would probably be friction fit since the bell nut was developed by Conn in the later 1920s.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:08 am
Glog wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:57 am So far, we can say that this is 1923.
Not so sure.

Also, a 1923 horn would probably be friction fit since the bell nut was developed by Conn in the later 1920s.
Not entirely true. I have a large bore Conn from 1913 with a bell nut mechanism.
Drew A.
Professional bum.

Return to “Instruments”