Need opinion for an amateur jazz trombone

StephenBuescher

Need opinion for an amateur jazz trombone

Post by StephenBuescher »

Hello folks!

Im interested in picking up a horn to noodle around with, eventually play w/ a local big band. Im looking for some opinions on a jazz horn that will suffice. In a perfect world, an off brand King 3b is what Im thinking. Id like to keep it under $1000 until I decide its something I will get back into. Currently residing in Tyler, Tx if anyone has a recommendation nearby. Thank you! -Steve
BGuttman

Re: Need opinion for an amateur jazz trombone

Post by BGuttman »

There are lots of used instruments out there. And for less than $1000 you can get a used King 3B.

One thing to look for might be a Yamaha 354. Commonly used as "starter" horns, they are actually pretty good and a great value for the money. Only caveat is if you are buying a used one you need to check its condition carefully -- many have lived pretty hard lives.

There are a few Chinese instruments sold by reputable dealers that could fill the bill. Generally Chinese instruments suffer from abysmal quality control and the reputable dealer will cull out the really bad ones and tweak in the ones that are in need of adjustment before selling to you. Some examples are Packer-Rath, Jim Laabs, and Wessex Tubas (who sell all kinds of brass, not just tubas).

Good used instruments?

Bach 8, 12, 16
Benge 170
Conn 4H, 6H, 10H, 12H, 24H, 48H, 100H, and many others.
Holton 65, 67, 69, 100
King 2B, 2B+, 3B
Martin Imperial, Committe, Urbie Green
Olds Recording, Radio, Special, Super
Reynolds Argenta
Selmer Bolero, Largo
Yamaha 651, 653, 691, 697 and many others

There are more to add to the list I'm sure others will chime in.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

A used 3b or used Yamaha 691 would be just the ticket, but they can be difficult to snag for under 1000 in good condition. I've also played some 3bs that were dogs-- tough to know without playing first.

Selmer Boleros come around every now and again and are usually less than 1000. Dillon has one presently, here:

https://www.dillonmusic.com/used-selmer ... mbone.html

Dillon also has some Olds horns that are similar; they tend to play very well and are often overlooked.

Noah at Brassark has a 3b+ for 1000, a couple of Lloyd Ulyate's Getzens for under that, and an Olds recording that all look great. I've played one of the Lloyds (can't remember which, think it was the one without the pickup) and found it to be a great horn. If Lloyd played it professionally, and if Noah is selling it, it is a good horn.

http://brassark.com/sale/

Speaking of Getzen, their 1050 Eterna is an amazing .508/8"bell horn for the price, but they don't come around too often. Another good option is the Benge 170 (.500/8" bell), which are also rare but also often overlooked.

Good hunting!
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Those are great suggestions. Any will work. And unfortunately, any other horn you bring will probably work, too, because people aren't very particular these days. Personally, go for .500 or less unless you will play the fourth book. The greatest bang for the buck is to make yourself a student of big band style and sound. Then you'll play great supportive parts and you'll determine exactly what you need to get the sound you hear.
StephenBuescher

Post by StephenBuescher »

Wow, thanks for all of the great information! Found a new Yamaha 354 Ill try out that the owner is going to let me noodle around a bit.

Been over 10 years, so Id plug your ears if you’re anywhere near Tyler Texas! Thank you again for all of the help.
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Make sure you check the classifieds on the forum. I think there are a few Selmer Boleros up. Never know what else might pop up.
Robert C
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

IMHO first call should be to DJ Kennedy he will have lots of horns in your price range to choose from

3b very versatile horn, but lots of others to chat to him about
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I agree that a 3B is a good all around horn, that is what I play now in big band and community band. When I lived in Tyler (long time ago) I traveled to Kilgore for a trombone choir. Too bad you aren't looking for a 2B, I may have one in your budget coming up soon.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

The JP/Rath 230 (.500" bore, 7.5" bell) works great for the price.

https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/pr ... jp230-rath
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería

Return to “Instruments”