Looking for a new straight trombone to play with community band

Dc2019

Looking for a new straight trombone to play with community band

Post by Dc2019 »

I played either my mom’s vintage Buescher Aristocrat or my own vintage Holton Special from grade school right on through till about four years ago - school band, community concert band, marching band, quintet, quartet, solo, played the same straight vintage horns for them all.

Around four or five years ago, I was talked into getting an F-attachment, large bore horn, both to have a horn that would blend better in community band and also to have the purported advantages of the F attachment (better and lower low range, alternate positions for faster and easier jumps). I got lucky with a Royal Artiste trombone on eBay that had a rather unsightly bell dent that scared other bidders off but only cost me a few bucks to get fixed. It was a risk because I couldn’t find any real info on the brand but turned out okay. Several more experienced trombonists tried the horn out after I got it and confirmed my own impression that it was actually a pretty good horn. If it was a straight horn, I probably wouldn’t be horn-shopping again but it’s not.

I can’t get used to the F-attachment and, after four years of trying, I’m ready to pack it in. I rarely remember to use the alternate positions, no matter how much I practice, and I don’t like playing low notes no matter how much I work on my low range (which has always been weaker than my high range). I see absolutely no point in playing an F attachment trombone when I never use the F attachment. The F attachment adds weight both when playing the horn and when carrying it in its case and the trigger is a nuisance if I’m not going to actually use it.

So, looking for a straight horn, probably large or medium bore, intermediate to professional. Needs to be light or at least very well-balanced as my shoulder isn’t happy with a heavy or poorly balanced horn. Other community band trombonists mostly have Bachs or Kings. Some are F attachment, some are straight. I’d like to try a variety of horns to help me figure out what I want but that’s easier said than done.

One community band member has an F attachment King 3B that I can borrow to try. Unfortunately the only local music store that stocks trombones has a very limited selection. Even though they only had the F attachment versions, I tried both a Bach Stradivarius 42 and a Yamaha Xeno. Much to my surprise (I’ve harboured a possibly unfair dislike of Conns and Yamahas since having to play them anytime I didn’t have my own horn at school), I actually quite liked the Xeno (though the Bach was okay too) but new is really not in my price range.

So, I have a few questions for the more experienced trombonists - can I make a fair comparison of trombone brands if not models by playing F attachment versions of the straight horns that I’m interested in?
If I play, say, a Bach Stradivarius 42, is it fair to assume that a Bach Stradivarius 36 will be similar?
If I liked a Yamaha Xeno YSL882OR, what might I find in an equivalent used straight horn?
How big a difference is there between the Xeno and the YSL 600 series horns? I find Yamaha models particularly confusing since they seem to change numbers more frequently.
Should I stick to a large bore or would a medium bore make more sense?
Suggestions for a good quality horn (most likely used) that won’t break the bank but will feel and sound like an upgrade?
Suggestions other than Reverb or eBay to find used straight trombones, which seem to be an endangered species?

I primarily play with the local community band, which plays a pretty eclectic variety of music (pop, classical, show tunes, movie themes, etc). I used to play with a brass quintet, which shrank to a quartet then finally folded. Would probably join one again if an opportunity opened up. Sometimes play with a small mixed group from the community band or at church. Occasionally a solo at church. Plan to keep playing indefinitely, probably join another concert band or two in ten or fifteen years when I’m retired (jealous of the folks I know who already are retired and have the time to do that).

I still have both the Buescher Aristocrat and Holton Special if I need a small bore horn for some reason. Probably will sell the large bore Royal Artiste if I can get back what I put into it, unless I’m given a convincing argument otherwise.
norbie2018

Re: Looking for a new straight trombone to play with community band

Post by norbie2018 »

You may find the straight version blows differently from the f attachment version of a trombone due to the absence of the valve.

You may find a medium bore trombone fits the bill. Look for Bach 36 or a number of Yamaha instruments. There are other quality medium bore instruments on the market, but the names escape me at this time.

Dillon Music and Brass Exchange are excellent sources of used instruments.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

There are quite a number of good straight horns on the market. The Bach 42 is nice, but the 36 is honestly nicer, IMHO. Just a great horn.

There are also used Conn 8H and 78H horns from the elkhart era. VERY nice horns. Also the Selmer Largo, King 3b and king 4B. There also is a king 3b+ with a .525 bore.

Benge made some nice straight trombones for a while. They are somewhat similar to King trombones. Almost like a hybrid of a King and a Conn (and made in the same factory as both).

Yamaha has made a lot of nice straight horns. The currently 610 and 620 are very nice, solid horns. I think the predecessors were the 681 and 683.

For a community band, I think a .525 "medium-large" bore is probably the best.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Just a small correction to tbonesullivan: the 620 is large bore with F. The Medium Bore straight is 630. The Benge he is referring to is 175.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mfellows821

Post by mfellows821 »

Ralph Sauer once said "The more stuff you put on a trombone, the worse it plays" He would support your lack of affection for F attachments and he frequently played a straight large bore 8H.

I would urge you to actually play some horns and pick what feels and sounds the best to you. I have played in several community bands and there is usually a broad assortment of brands and models there. I have played a brass quintet for a lot of years and my go to horn has always been a large bore (with F but that is just me) but I pull out a small bore every once in a while to play some of the pop or jazz tunes.

All the main brands make good trombones- Conn King Bach Getzen Yamaha Holton Benge Olds. I would stick to these and avoid the Chinese made horns. Go play as many as posssible and find what YOU like. Local music stores should have several to try. Keep an eye on Craigslist and Offerup. Ask to try the horns of players in your community band. Conventions have the most at one time.

Good luck
mfellows821

Post by mfellows821 »

One other idea. When you buy used at a good price, it gives you the chance to play a horn for as long as you like and if you decide it is not the horn for you, it is usually possible to sell it for about what you paid for it and move on to the next. You might even have several at a time before making a decision
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Contact DJ Kennedy
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

mfellows821 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 am Ralph Sauer once said "The more stuff you put on a trombone, the worse it plays" .....
I'm just going to second everything mfellows said. :good:
I bought my first F a year ago when I joined my local community band after 20+ years of not playing at all. I had played a couple F's many years ago but was more jazz/big band so small bore Kings worked for me at that time. :wink:

One of the guys in the section just swapped his beautiful silver Bach 36 F-attachment for an equally beautiful silver straight Bach 36 and he loves it. We usually swap books from concert to concert so he stays away from 3rd most of time but otherwise he couldn't be happier. He only misses the trigger once in awhile. :D

With as many good choices there are out there, I am sure your can find something for what ever your patience and budget can afford. Happy hunting. :good:
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Williams 8.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:49 am Williams 8.
Ain't gonna be cheap :wink:

Also, there's the Chinese (Taiwan) XO models. Won't find many used, though.

My feeling is that an older small bore will feel bigger. I have a Conn 40H from 1930 that seems to play as big as a Bach 36.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

In fairness, Ralph Sauer now plays an F attachment exclusively from what I've been told, though how much of that is because of the relationship between Shires and his signature instrument is not known to me. He likely said that at a time when the offerings of F attachment instruments were not nearly as robust as they were today. Which isn't to say that F attachments are inherently good, rather that the present disadvantages they have are now almost exclusively weight and possibly ergonomics.

Note that I am not saying that a straight horns play identically to F attachment nor that one is incapable of preferring the sound of a particular straight horn over a horn with one. What I am saying is that there are substantially more options now that make it much easier to find a horn with an F attachment that works and suits your needs than there was in 1980 if you have the desire to find such a horn.

One of my favorite horns that fills this niche is the YSL645, which is currently not in production. The 630 is also a really nice horn but more expensive, obviously, since you're more likely to be buying new. There is no Xeno medium bore at the moment but the Xenos are also great horns if you want a large bore. And actually, the 400 series are fine too. Yamaha are as follow:
300 = "Student"
400 = "Intermediate"
600 = "Professional"
800 = "Custom"

The funny part is the custom horns are really not custim although they do custom work from what I've been told... only known a few horns that were actually custom. And even the "student" horns are really high quality. You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with a Yamaha.

King 3B+ is a medium bore, King 4B is a large bore... I don't recall if the 4B has a straight version but they'd both suit your needs.

JP Rath has a straight medium bore hat might also work but isn't too expensive though you're less likely to find a used one.

Conn 8H has a medium bore slide and the Conn 78 has a straight option if I'm not mistaken... also a very popular Horn.

Bach 36 or 42 would work. The 36 is a really great horn too.

Note that if you go medium bore there's about a 90% you'll need to switch to a small shank mouthpiece. Shires, Rath, and certain Conn 8H are the only medium bores I'm aware of that have a large shank option for their medium bore offerings.

I've never heard of Royal Artiste? Is it one of the new eastern exports? Those companies pop up and go down rather quickly. If it is, you aren't likely to get much money out of it so I'd plan on not being able to sell it. If it's an antique or a stencil you might have the same issue... but it might be something else too... sometimes people put engravings on stuff and it turns out to be something else.

Your name has "DC" in it... does that mean you're local to DC by any chance? If you are and can make a trip up to New Jersey, Dillon Music has a room filled with used trombones... and some new ones too. You're likely to come away from that happy!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:44 am Just a small correction to tbonesullivan: the 620 is large bore with F. The Medium Bore straight is 630. The Benge he is referring to is 175.
I always get those mixed up. The 175's are nice, and there are also straight Benge 190s out there. I think there was a .508 bore trombone they made as well, but I can't remember the model designation.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The Benge small bore was the 170, 0.500" bore.

The Benge models were:

170 0.500" straight only.
175 0.525" bore. Available with F as 175F
190 0.547" bore, available with F as 190F and convertible as 190C
290 0.562" bore dual indpendent trigger bass.

Note to Matt: the Conn 78H is a straight horn 0.522" bore. The version with F attachment is 79H
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

Matt K wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:08 pm
King 3B+ is a medium bore, King 4B is a large bore... I don't recall if the 4B has a straight version but they'd both suit your needs.

Conn 8H has a medium bore slide and the Conn 78 has a straight option if I'm not mistaken... also a very popular Horn.

There is a straight 4b, nice horn.
A straight 3b+ is a very nice horn, super flexible.

Most 8Hs come standard with a straight .547, with the dual bore .525/.547 or straight .525 as options. The smaller slides do come with the X leadipe which fits large-bore mouthpieces.
The 78H is a straight .525 (.522 in the old days), the 79H is the model number for the version with a trigger.

For me it's been easier to find a 36 that I like than a 42, they both work with or without triggers, Bachs to me seem super inconsistent from horn to horn, good ones can be great, but really hard to find.

YMMV
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

For the most part, I prefer open horns. The F attachment sure is useful sometimes, but I like using the open horn as much as I can.

Check the classifieds here, there are always some quality open horns for sale (shameless plug-- I have a .525 Edwards without F for sale in the classifieds). Check for 3B/+, Bach 16/M, Bach 36, Conn 78, and some less common but still excellent brands like Holton. You may also like a straight large bore horn like a Conn 8H, Bach 42, King 4B.
davebb

Post by davebb »

Dc2019 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 pm ..., and I don’t like playing low notes no matter how much I work on my low range (which has always been weaker than my high range).
I'm wondering if you've tried some different mouthpieces. Some people are best-suited to large mouthpieces, maybe as large as a 3G for large bore tenor. Might be worth a try before giving up on the f attachment completely
Dc2019

Post by Dc2019 »

norbie2018 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:10 am You may find the straight version blows differently from the f attachment version of a trombone due to the absence of the valve.
I was afraid of that. Unfortunately, straight horns other than very basic student models are hard to find around here. Only one store with horns in stock and they only had about 6 total, of which I think there was one small bore straight. They could bring in a horn or two from another location but I think there was literally one or two medium to large bore straight horns in stock Canada-wide. The community band has a couple of players with small bore straights but everything else is medium to large F attachments. Will have to see if the community band’s director has access to anything else (but she teaches at the high school which I think has mostly F attachment horns).
Dillon Music and Brass Exchange are excellent sources of used instruments.
Unfortunately, I live near Windsor, Ontario (about as far south as you can get in Canada, but still Canada), which makes purchasing online more challenging. Even if a store is willing to accept a return without a restocking fee or at least a minimal charge, shipping, duties, and taxes make the whole thing more complicated than it needs to be.

Cosmomusic.ca has way better prices than the local shop but a new horn is still pretty steep, even if I took an overnight trip up to Toronto area to try some out. Assuming that they even have any straights in stock, which may be a big assumption.
Dc2019

Post by Dc2019 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:07 am There also is a king 3b+ with a .525 bore.
For a community band, I think a .525 "medium-large" bore is probably the best.
I’ve seen a few used King 3B+ trombones listed in various places at prices that were quite reasonable, which made me wonder if that model wasn’t so great so it’s good to hear that it might be worth investigating.

I’m also glad to hear that a .525 medium-large bore may be the best fit. I’ve been nudged towards the large bore horns by a couple of people but my research left me wondering if that wasn’t entirely suited for the situations I play in.
Dc2019

Post by Dc2019 »

Vegastokc wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 am
One of the guys in the section just swapped his beautiful silver Bach 36 F-attachment for an equally beautiful silver straight Bach 36 and he loves it. We usually swap books from concert to concert so he stays away from 3rd most of time but otherwise he couldn't be happier. He only misses the trigger once in awhile. :D
This sounds like my community band. Rarely does anyone play strictly one part on all pieces. We’ve got a couple of trombone players who even “fill in” for bassoon or bass clarinet or anything else that is missing. Often, my folder will have two or even three parts for the same piece, especially in the summer when I might get to a concert in the park and find out that someone left early for vacation and I need to play something other than what I’ve been playing in practice. Sometimes, we have a trombone army. Other times, not so much. I managed fine without the trigger for a few years before I got it and I rarely actually remember to use it now, so I imagine that I won’t miss it very often either.
Dc2019

Post by Dc2019 »

Matt K wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:08 pm One of my favorite horns that fills this niche is the YSL645, which is currently not in production. The 630 is also a really nice horn but more expensive, obviously, since you're more likely to be buying new. There is no Xeno medium bore at the moment but the Xenos are also great horns if you want a large bore. And actually, the 400 series are fine too. Yamaha are as follow:
300 = "Student"
400 = "Intermediate"
600 = "Professional"
800 = "Custom"

The funny part is the custom horns are really not custom although they do custom work from what I've been told... only known a few horns that were actually custom. And even the "student" horns are really high quality. You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with a Yamaha.
It seems to be surprisingly difficult to find used 600s or 800s, though. And most that I’ve found haven’t been enough cheaper than new to be worth it by the time that I add shipping, exchange rate from US to Canadian, etc. If I’m only saving 10 or 15%, I might as well wait and save up some more for new. I’m still looking - just not finding much.

I quite liked the Xeno that I tried, despite the fact that the store needed to clean the slide properly, not just wipe off the dried up gunk with a paper towel before giving me a rather old bottle of oil to use.
And another point for the King 3B+...

I’m leery of the less common horns like the JP Rath simply because I don’t know anyone with one nor of anywhere reasonably local where I could try one out.

Conns, other than the old Director models which I definitely don’t care for, don’t seem very common locally either.
The Bach 42 wasn’t bad. I think they said there was a 36 at another location that they could bring in for me to try if I wanted, though I think it was an F attachment as well.
Note that if you go medium bore there's about a 90% you'll need to switch to a small shank mouthpiece. Shires, Rath, and certain Conn 8H are the only medium bores I'm aware of that have a large shank option for their medium bore offerings.
I have several small shank mouthpieces that I like in with my vintage horns so that’s not really a problem.
I've never heard of Royal Artiste? Is it one of the new eastern exports? Those companies pop up and go down rather quickly. If it is, you aren't likely to get much money out of it so I'd plan on not being able to sell it. If it's an antique or a stencil you might have the same issue... but it might be something else too... sometimes people put engravings on stuff and it turns out to be something else.
Not really sure. It came from back room stock at a store that closed and I got it from the store that had bought their leftovers. They thought it was a stencil but really didn’t know for sure. I got it very cheap - around 300 Canadian including shipping and paid around 25 or 30 to get the rotor adjusted and the huge bell dent fixed. It looks nice and plays pretty well, so for around 50 bucks a year, I really didn’t lose anything and could possibly get most if not all of my money back out of it.
Your name has "DC" in it... does that mean you're local to DC by any chance? If you are and can make a trip up to New Jersey, Dillon Music has a room filled with used trombones... and some new ones too. You're likely to come away from that happy!
No, I’m actually from near Windsor, Ontario. Music stores in general are few and far between and those that carry trombones are even rarer!

{Edit by Moderator: Fixed quotes}
Dc2019

Post by Dc2019 »

Talked to the community band director tonight and she does have access to a handful of straight medium bores of miscellaneous makes that I can borrow to try. They just may not be in the best of shape as they were high school student trombones that have been languishing in storage for a while. I just have to remind her before the next practice and she’ll see what she can dig out. She was in agreement that a medium bore was most likely the way to go.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Dc2019 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pmI’ve seen a few used King 3B+ trombones listed in various places at prices that were quite reasonable, which made me wonder if that model wasn’t so great so it’s good to hear that it might be worth investigating.
There's nothing "wrong" with it. It just isn't a "normal" 3B, which is the "legendary jazz horn". Part of that is the smaller bore, so people looking for that specific horn don't consider it. That is probably why used prices aren't as high: demand.

New, the 3B and 3B PLUS are the exact same price.

That said, the Bach 36 is what Vincent Bach envisioned as the "Ideal Symphonic Trombone". The 3B used to be the "Concert" model, while the 4B was the "Symphony. Bach also had the model 45, with a 9 inch bell, similar to the King 5B.

As I heard it, after the 8H/88H hit the scene, a .547 bore horn with an 8 1/2 inch bell was desired. So they took the valve section of the 36, used the same mandrel to make a bell a half inch wider, and grafted on the slide from the Bach 45 with that big Bach 50 bass crook. That is the Bach 42.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Dc2019 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:14 pm
This sounds like my community band. Rarely does anyone play strictly one part on all pieces. We’ve got a couple of trombone players who even “fill in” for bassoon or bass clarinet or anything else that is missing......
I am sure that is very common in most or even all community bands. The only one that doesn't change is the bass T-bone player. Although depending on the pieces he either uses his single trigger Reynolds or his double trigger Holton "bazooka" bass bone. There is also two bone players covering euphonium, another one on tuba, a trumpet player on French horn, etc

Wonder if it would be worth a day trip into Detroit or Cleveland (one of the historic "holy lands" of brass manufacturing) to find better selection? :idk:
Sounds like Canada is hurting for supply. (And a possible business opportunity :D )
I say this knowing nothing of how customs and taxes would work bringing horns into country. :lol:
Michael Saffier
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

davebb wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:24 pm
I'm wondering if you've tried some different mouthpieces. Some people are best-suited to large mouthpieces, maybe as large as a 3G for large bore tenor. Might be worth a try before giving up on the f attachment completely
That is a good point. I bought a Schilke 51 (approx. same as a 5G) this summer and am loving it. It is the biggest piece I have owned. (6 1/2 AL being the previous biggest which of course is not really that big). Sure not as big as a 3G of 4G, but the 51 really opened up my lower range on my medium bore trigger horn. Now I just have to work on rebuilding the higher. :biggrin:
Michael Saffier
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

I was happiest playing "band music" on a straight Bach 36. I'm sure many .525 would have made me just as happy.

Not too big, but still could bark. Not too small, but still could sing.

:good:
stanzabone

Post by stanzabone »

Slide Hampton used to play bebop all night long on a straight King 4B. That was when I heard him way back in the 80's. IIRC, he is now playing an even larger horn, essentially a bass trombone with no trigger.
Dc2019

Post by Dc2019 »

Managed to find a few horns to try. Got my hands on a beat-up high school Conn Connquest that played nicely even after several years in storage - but it just didn’t excite me despite that so it’s been returned. Borrowed a King 3B with F attachment - an hour and a half or so of band practice just about did in my left shoulder, it was very awkward and unbalanced for me. Most likely that was primarily the fault of the F attachment as the equally heavy 4B doesn’t feel as awkward or leave my shoulder as sore. Tried a beautiful King 4B straight horn on trial and I’m actually quite disappointed that it hasn’t been a good fit as the owner is a good friend and I could get it for a great deal. Still switching between it and the 3B trying to decide if I like the King horns in general but they’re not thrilling me. Also trying to find a straight Bach that I can try but no luck so far.

Playing the King 4B has more or less confirmed for me that I want a medium rather than large bore horn, but if I compare it to the new large bore F attachment horns that I tried (Yamaha Xeno 882 and Bach 42), I preferred either of them over the King. That leaves me with either a .508 or a .525, probably Bach or Yamaha. I know there are other brands out there but there’s nothing around here to try so, fairly or not, I’m steering clear.

So, for a used horn, most likely either a Bach LT16M or a Yamaha YSL-891Z, or a Bach 36 (or LT36 perhaps) or a Yamaha YSL-630. Or, if I go with a Yamaha YSL-445GEII, I can probably swing the price of a (gasp) new horn from Cosmomusic.ca - might even manage a 630 new if I can get by with borrowed horns or one of my existing ones for another six or eight months or so.

I’ve heard that Bachs can be very variable, ranging from poor to meh to great, which makes buying one online a bit of a crap-shoot. Yamahas, on the other hand, have a reputation for being very consistent. Anyone have further thoughts on the subject? Personal experience with the models in question, especially if you’ve played both brands and have thoughts to offer, would be great. Or thoughts on the 630 vs 445GEII.

I really expected to like the Kings more than I do as someone told me they should play like a larger version of my mom’s vintage Buescher Aristocrat (I disagree).
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

Dc2019 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:29 pm Managed to find a few horns to try. Got my hands on a beat-up high school Conn Connquest that played nicely even after several years in storage - but it just didn’t excite me despite that so it’s been returned. Borrowed a King 3B with F attachment - an hour and a half or so of band practice just about did in my left shoulder, it was very awkward and unbalanced for me. Most likely that was primarily the fault of the F attachment as the equally heavy 4B doesn’t feel as awkward or leave my shoulder as sore. Tried a beautiful King 4B straight horn on trial and I’m actually quite disappointed that it hasn’t been a good fit as the owner is a good friend and I could get it for a great deal. Still switching between it and the 3B trying to decide if I like the King horns in general but they’re not thrilling me. Also trying to find a straight Bach that I can try but no luck so far.

Playing the King 4B has more or less confirmed for me that I want a medium rather than large bore horn, but if I compare it to the new large bore F attachment horns that I tried (Yamaha Xeno 882 and Bach 42), I preferred either of them over the King. That leaves me with either a .508 or a .525, probably Bach or Yamaha. I know there are other brands out there but there’s nothing around here to try so, fairly or not, I’m steering clear.

So, for a used horn, most likely either a Bach LT16M or a Yamaha YSL-891Z, or a Bach 36 (or LT36 perhaps) or a Yamaha YSL-630. Or, if I go with a Yamaha YSL-445GEII, I can probably swing the price of a (gasp) new horn from Cosmomusic.ca - might even manage a 630 new if I can get by with borrowed horns or one of my existing ones for another six or eight months or so.

I’ve heard that Bachs can be very variable, ranging from poor to meh to great, which makes buying one online a bit of a crap-shoot. Yamahas, on the other hand, have a reputation for being very consistent. Anyone have further thoughts on the subject? Personal experience with the models in question, especially if you’ve played both brands and have thoughts to offer, would be great. Or thoughts on the 630 vs 445GEII.

I really expected to like the Kings more than I do as someone told me they should play like a larger version of my mom’s vintage Buescher Aristocrat (I disagree).

How much are you willing to spend? A new Lawler model 4 (Big Boy) .525 is less money than you might think.

Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

For me, community band would usually be .525 bore, or maybe .508 bore, with a 8 or 8 1/2 inch bell.

There are many great used straight horns from companies like King, Yamaha, Conn, Selmer Paris, Olds, etc etc etc that would fall under this category.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

King 3B. IMHO, the closest to a “one size fits all situations/player” trombone as any. Ask around. Check the classifieds. Contact DJ. If you’re buying new, L&M is competitive with US prices.

If you see a horn in the US, add about 50% to the US price (exchange and HST/GST). You can have the horn shipped to a UPS store. Drive down and pick it up. Canada Customs will collect the sales tax at the border.
Dc2019

Post by Dc2019 »

Bach5G wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:07 pm King 3B. IMHO, the closest to a “one size fits all situations/player” trombone as any.
As I mentioned above, I expected to like the Kings but something about the two that I’ve tried (straight 4B and 3B with F attachment) just hasn’t been a good fit. I found them quite heavy and the balance just didn’t feel right for me. The 3B with F attachment felt kind of stuffy to play as well. Both are very nice, well-maintained horns, no issues with playability in general. I’m still trying both as they’re on loan to me but I’m just not crazy about them. Maybe a newer King wouldn’t be quite as heavy? Still trying to find a straight 3B to borrow...
Bach5G wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:07 pm Ask around. Check the classifieds. Contact DJ. If you’re buying new, L&M is competitive with US prices.
If you mean Long & McQuade, they seem seriously overpriced compared to cosmomusic.ca at least for trombones. I’ve seen several mentions on the forum of contacting DJ but no one seems to mention how?

Anything for sale in this area is the student model Bachs, Conns, and Yamahas, mainly with F attachments (which I don’t want). I’m not necessarily against driving a few hours for a horn but I’d have to be darn sure I was seriously interested to be worth it to go further. The classifieds around here are pretty much non existent but I’ve been watching Kijiji with no luck.
Bach5G wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:07 pm If you see a horn in the US, add about 50% to the US price (exchange and HST/GST). You can have the horn shipped to a UPS store. Drive down and pick it up. Canada Customs will collect the sales tax at the border.
My large bore F attachment horn was an eBay purchase. It came via Canada Post and they collected the duties and taxes. No problem. But with the exchange rate being what it is, the deal on a US horn does have to be pretty good to make it worth it.
Dc2019

Post by Dc2019 »

TheSheriff wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:07 pm
How much are you willing to spend? A new Lawler model 4 (Big Boy) .525 is less money than you might think.

With the exchange rate being what it is, the Lawler would be a real stretch and definitely require that I put off the purchase for quite a bit longer. I think it would work out around the same as buying a new Bach 36 locally which is why I’ve already ruled out new as an option if I get a Bach 36 (or 16) of some description. I also have no way to try any Lawlers let alone that model as there are absolutely none of the less common makes in use around here.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I do mean Long and McQuade.

MF lists 3Bs for about $2200 USD. With .35% exchange and, possibly Michigan sales tax* (let’s say 10%), plus 12% HST, that horn will cost about $3500 by the time it reaches you. L&M lists 3Bs for about $2800, which after HST is about $3100. A lot of dough but in line with buying from a US retailer.

I live about 3km from the US border and will have things shipped to a service in the US because it’s faster and cheaper than having it shipped to Canada.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

* For the past year or so, the large online dealers have been collecting tax based on the rate in the jurisdiction to which the item is delivered. I’m assuming a 10% rate in Michigan.
Last edited by Bach5G on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

double post
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

DJ Kennedy is mostly active on the Facebook group (Trombone Forum and Trombone Chat Members). He happens to have an account here, but doesn't seem to post much.

DJ is based in southern Illinois, where he has a house full (literally) of used trombones, all at good prices. He also has an uncanny knack for finding the right horn for you. He ships all over the world and is worth contacting.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Seconded for DJ.

I have a Conn 32H which is great deal of fun, once paired with the right shank mouthpiece (I picked up a Conn 2 and 3 cheap). Only drawback is a narrow slide for people with thick necks.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

You might check out a JP 231. Same specs as a Bach 36 and it goes for under $1,100 US new. Used ones pop up on here occasionally. I got a Packer alto this past summer and it is a very nice instrument.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I have Bach 36, Bach 16, two Conn 6H's, Conn 48H Connstellation, and a Yamaha .525-bore.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:15 pm You might check out a JP 231. Same specs as a Bach 36 and it goes for under $1,100 US new. Used ones pop up on here occasionally. I got a Packer alto this past summer and it is a very nice instrument.
Im trying to sell one. Asking $600. Excellent condition and a really nice playing horn!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Suggestion: Communicate with "greenbean." He has several trombones to sell that you might be interested in, knows a lot about them, and is exceedingly fair and honest. :clever:
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

I have found the .522" and .525" horns be incredible versatile and adaptable if needed and it is my primary choice. I think they are a great fit for concert band, wonderful in a brass quintet, and excellent for solos at church. I tried big band 1st part on it but that was a no go for me.

My current choice is a Conn 79H with a Doug Elliott MP combo. Prior to that I played a Schilke 51B on the 79H and the Bach 36B I owned before the 79H.

As mentioned above, the Conn 32H is a nice horn but I cannot befriend the one that I own and I suspect that is related to the mouthpieces I have tried with it.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I know a guy who plays the 78h everywhere. Sometimes he gets really thin and bright. The 79h doesn't do that. I know this thread is about straight horns, but the 78/79h is one case where the traits of straight vs valved don't seem to match. I love my 79h, as does Trav1s, but I've never been able to warm up to a 78h. I've got a Bach 36 coming, which I think should scratch that straight medium bore itch.

Of course I used to love my 8h, which you can order brand new with a 525 slide. Those can still be great horns. I preferred the thin bell variety (8ht). I used mine primarily in orchestra, but they should also work well in a band, at least on the lead part.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Don’t discount the Williams 8 if you can get your hands on one.
Drew A.
Professional bum.

Return to “Instruments”