Mouthpiece Replating

paulyg

Mouthpiece Replating

Post by paulyg »

I know that the gold and silver thicknesses are very small... I'm mostly curious if anyone has experience with mouthpieces playing the same or different after re-plating.

Has anyone perceived a noticeable change?
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
BGuttman

Re: Mouthpiece Replating

Post by BGuttman »

paulyg wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:08 pm ...

Has anyone perceived a noticeable change?
No, but I'm not terribly discerning.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

A long time ago I had a couple of silver-plated mouthpieces replated in gold. They didn't play any differently, but they sure looked nice, and tarnish became a thing of the past.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I was hoping to resurrect this thread.

What is a good place to send a mouthpiece for replating or gold plating?

I’ve heard Dillons Music & Anderson in Elkhart. Anyone with good/bad experiences?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I understand Doug Elliott does this.

My experience with Anderson is that they don't do small orders. You'd have to send a bunch of mouthpieces. Or use someone as a collector to make a suitable order. I remember Benn Hansson offering to add some of mine to an order a few years ago.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Sometimes you can find a jewelry store that does gold plating. Last one I used was did the best job and was faster then getting your dry cleaning done. Some stores can't plate more then the cup as there tray is too small.

I am allergic to nickle so it was a must to plate. Doug Elliot's are silver plated so I don't gold plate any more.

I found platting only seemed different for the first day or so, then it seemed like the same MP.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

whitbey wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 am Sometimes you can find a jewelry store that does gold plating. Last one I used was did the best job and was faster then getting your dry cleaning done. Some stores can't plate more then the cup as there tray is too small.

I am allergic to nickle so it was a must to plate. Doug Elliot's are silver plated so I don't gold plate any more.

I found platting only seemed different for the first day or so, then it seemed like the same MP.
Waning: Jewelry platers often plate less than pure gold. Often the plating is mixed with nickel or cobalt. If you are allergic to nickel, make sure the plating is 24 karat gold; no less.

Another thing: jewelry is plated for appearance and can be quite thin. This means that the plating may wear quickly or permit some of the substrate metals to bleed through.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:26 am
whitbey wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 am Sometimes you can find a jewelry store that does gold plating. Last one I used was did the best job and was faster then getting your dry cleaning done. Some stores can't plate more then the cup as there tray is too small.

Waning: Jewelry platers often plate less than pure gold. Often the plating is mixed with nickel or cobalt. If you are allergic to nickel, make sure the plating is 24 karat gold; no less.

Another thing: jewelry is plated for appearance and can be quite thin. This means that the plating may wear quickly or permit some of the substrate metals to bleed through.

Yup. This guy used the good stuff. His plating was better then new MP's. He plated several times.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
sporto

Post by sporto »

I recommend Stork Custom Mouthpieces in Vermont for any mpc work including replating
boothbyz

Post by boothbyz »

I have personally had good luck with GoldChops, fast turnaround and very reasonable pricing. I had a mouthpiece Gold Plated and the quality seems to be as good as a new mouthpiece.
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

Growing up, I had a nickel / silver allergy and silver plated mouthpieces wouldn't work for me (seems to have disappeared with age?). My dad would work with the local music shop to get gold plate done; I was a kid and don't remember the logistic particulars. I think any local music shop would know whether there are platers to recommend in your area.

The pieces we had done have lasted quite nicely. I have never noticed a difference in plating affecting playing, then or on the few that I've had done since. The different friction of face-on-plate will affect more, IMO, than the couple microns of applied plating.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Plus one for Stork. They just gold=plated a mouthpiece for me. Looks and feels great. Turnaround ws quick and the price was reasonable. Highly recommended!

Jim Scott
UofOMom

Post by UofOMom »

Suggest Mouthpieceplatingservice.com. This is what they do. Silver or gold. Call and speak to Dave who is a really experienced guy. He does mouthpieces for people all over the USA.

Return to “Modification & Repair”