How to modify Hamilton stand

bigbandbone

How to modify Hamilton stand

Post by bigbandbone »

Has anyone modified a Hamilton tenor stand to securely hold a bass? How do I do it? Thanks in advance for advice!
afugate

Re: How to modify Hamilton stand

Post by afugate »

bigbandbone wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:46 am Has anyone modified a Hamilton tenor stand to securely hold a bass? How do I do it? Thanks in advance for advice!
I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with putting my bass on my Hamilton stand, regardless of the modifications.

I made my bass trombone stand out of a broken cymbal stand I bought at our local Guitar Center for $20. The guy behind the counter was kind enough to say, "You do know its busted, right?" I laughed and then told him what I was going to do with it. I added a plunger for holding the bell and a walking cane tip at the top of the tube.

It's industrial strength and very stable. :good:

--Andy in OKC
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I modified a Hamilton to hold a bass also. Did just what Andy did, but I found an electrical box cover with a hole that fit over the collar on the post and went under the plunger. It works, but its stability is terrible (as would any Hamilton).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I put my big foot on the leg.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
wayne88ny

Post by wayne88ny »

IF you have a Hamilton with a solid base (and that's a big IF), you can use it as is for a bass trombone. I use mine all the time, at home and on gigs and never have a problem.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

wayne88ny wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:30 pm IF you have a Hamilton with a solid base (and that's a big IF), you can use it as is for a bass trombone. I use mine all the time, at home and on gigs and never have a problem.
Same here.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

My Hamilton stand has been great for almost 60 years now and has not even hinted at toppling over. Position the slide just above the floor and it's essentially a 4-legged stand ! It has garaged everything from a Conn 70H, Conn 72H, Holton 169, Conn Fuchs Model, Conn 62H, Reynolds Contempora Bass, King Duo Gravis and King 8B [10 1/2" bell ] without a whimper. All for about 33 cents a year !
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

2bobone wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:17 pm My Hamilton stand has been great for almost 60 years now and has not even hinted at toppling over. Position the slide just above the floor and it's essentially a 4-legged stand ! ... All for about 33 cents a year !
:good:

Though I prefer the K&M Precision Stand (14490?) for bass trombone (it just seems so sturdy!), I have really had no problem with my trusty old Hamilton. In fact, Hamilton even replaced two missing rubber feet for a negligible sum, earning my loyalty. And I use a Hamilton 'Bone Sock' on each of my trombone stands, no matter which brand.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

1. Buy a K&M stand.

2. Throw away the Hamilton stand.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Not elegant, but much improved stability. First, bigger feet. This helped a lot. Then hot gluing some wheel balancing weights inside the leg that will be opposite the slide as a counter weight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

brassmedic wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:47 am 1. Buy a K&M stand.

+1
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

bigbandbone wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:55 am Not elegant, but ...
The stand is tightened at the lowest possible position, nearly eliminating all the triangulation in the leg structure, risking leg collapse. Any little bit higher is much better.

If Hamilton would add a fourth leg it would be the best stand by far. With three it's pretty poor.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The problem with hamilton stands is mainly that the legs themselves are made of weak and thin metal, and that they are relatively short. I only use the Hamilton I have for my Alto, because the K&M stands have a bumper on the end that is too large to fit into the alto bell (Bach 39)
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
jrod93

Post by jrod93 »

I got a larger plunger from Home Depot and cut the center out. Then I remove the tip from the Hamilton stand and slid the plunger over the white cap of the stand. Bam.....bass bone stand
BillO

Post by BillO »

vetsurginc wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:26 am
brassmedic wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:47 am 1. Buy a K&M stand.

+1
+1
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Not to completely trash Hamiltons sales prospects for the future - they do make another model now that looks very much like the K&M stands that we all like. Though everything everyone has said about the original Hamilton stand (which you can still buy) is true of course.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Right. It's not that there's something wrong with the company, it's just that the original design isn't sturdy enough to hold a bass trombone securely. It doesn't have a big enough footprint to resist tipping over, and that's not something you can fix by "modifying" it. I use one for alto and it's just fine. But bass, no way.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

I've used them for bass in my orchestra for 35 years and never had a problem.... even though it always seems that I will...
Chris
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

FOSSIL wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:14 pm I've used them for bass in my orchestra for 35 years and never had a problem.... even though it always seems that I will...
Chris
I found the standard "dome" that comes with the Hamilton stand is a bit small for a bass. You have to make adjustments to the collar that holds it in position so that the dome goes up further.

I found replacing the dome with a drilled out toilet plunger made a big difference. Also, always make sure your slide is either over or very near one of the legs.

Still, I have several other stands I like better for my bass than the Hamilton. Including the new one, the System X.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
stanzabone

Post by stanzabone »

A bit OT for the bass trombone question, but I have added some strips of 1 inch wide Velcro to the tops of the stand legs. I discard the hard plastic "hook" portion & just use the furry side, in a little strip about 6 inches long beneath where the slide hangs. If my slide drops onto the leg, the cushy Velcro strips keep it from hitting metal on metal & putting a ding in the slide bow or bending my spitvalve.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

I have an old Hamilton, so it can be in two parts to better fit in a mute bag
JoshE

Post by JoshE »

I have an old harbor freight halogen shop light base I frankensteined with the top of my Hamilton stand, which I am very proud of btw. Large and in charge, the footprint is considerable but it won’t topple
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

JoshE wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 pm I have an old harbor freight halogen shop light base I frankensteined with the top of my Hamilton stand, which I am very proud of btw. Large and in charge, the footprint is considerable but it won’t topple
Could you post photos of your stand, or email some? I’d love to see your modification.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Unless it is screwed to the floor, it can topple.

This one is screwed to the floor

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1izx3 ... sp=sharing
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Modification & Repair”