Shires Q Too Bright to Blend?

tntitan

Shires Q Too Bright to Blend?

Post by tntitan »

I’m contemplating getting a Shires Q Tenor, but I’ve read some opinions that say it’s too bright to blend in ensemble work. I play primarily in ensembles so that’s something that concerns me. I’ve been playing a stock Bach 42BO for years on a 5G Megatone mouthpiece. Is this really an issue? Does the Gold Bell option (or a different Shires Custom bell) negate this? Opinions appreciated.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Shires Q Too Bright to Blend?

Post by Matt K »

It's basically the most popular configurations available for Shires so that is unlikely to be the case. Sure, some horns don't jive with certain players so it isn't a guarantee that you'll like the horn or be able to blend with your ensembles but you'd run that 'risk' with any horn. People also told me that about the Xeno I played in college, fwiw. They were right, at least in my hands. And it turns out it wasn't an optimal horn for me, but the pro Yamaha horns are excellent horns and it not being the optimal horn for you isn't a reflection on the horn as much as the player to a pretty large degree, at least in my opinion. The big difference with the Q series is you can swap out components if it doesn't work for you 100% in that setup. There are tons of players on Shires in professional orchestral and wind ensemble settings who blend at an exceptionally high level... so the worst case scenario you have to swap some thing around. That degree of modularity is one of the reasons its higher on the list of horns I recommend if you're buying blind and want new. You can just leave it alone and it's a perfectly fine horn. You can also go down the equipment rabbit hole without too much effort. That's pretty unique in this space.
TubaDavey

Post by TubaDavey »

Blends fine for me against the few other trombones I’ve played with. (Q30, yellow bell, standard rotor.) Great horns!
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I think you’re overthinking this subject. The Q series are great horns. You can get the gold or yellow bell. If want it to play and sound like a Bach, then keep the Bach.

Fridge
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The Q series are very nice. You should not have trouble blending in just about anywhere. If you feel too bright, consider a deeper cup for your mouthpiece.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

I think the best thing you can do is play one yourself and find out if it works for you.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
tntitan

Post by tntitan »

Fridge wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:05 pm I think you’re overthinking this subject. The Q series are great horns. You can get the gold or yellow bell. If want it to play and sound like a Bach, then keep the Bach.

Fridge
I am keeping the Bach even if I purchase a Shires. I’m not looking for it to necessarily play like a Bach - I would hope there’s a noticeable difference. But blending in the section is important regardless of which horn I play, and I’m glad to hear/read several comments that endorse the Q in this regard. Thanks

Return to “Instruments”