Plastic miniball linkages

8parktoollover

Plastic miniball linkages

Post by 8parktoollover »

How much does it normally cost to buy and do a plastuc miniball linkage conversion and aree tgwy as good as metal linkages?
brassmedic

Re: Plastic miniball linkages

Post by brassmedic »

The linkages are less than 5 dollars. Depending on the make, a tech might have to tap 2/56 threads into the stop arm to accommodate the ball links, and reverse the stop arm if it was string linkage to begin with. So you would have to pay for that labor as well. Probably under $100 all told. I think they're just as good as metal links. Maybe even quieter.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The plastic linkages are also very easy to adjust and replace. With some metal linkages, adjusting the position of the arm is nearly impossible.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I'm in the middle of doing one of these conversions myself on an old tuba, removing the old S links and putting in these Du-bro plastic links.

Some people talk smack about the plastic links, but I think they work fine, and for what we do with them, they are plenty durable. The tuba conversion is costing me about $30 in materials, and a couple hours of work (for 4 valves). I have Du-bro links on a bass bone as well, and they work fine (plus have some adjustability and disassemblability that the metal ones don't have.

Be careful about what you buy. Some of the flashy looking Chinese aluminum ones have had some problems with brass inserts pulling out. The Du-Bro are US made.

https://www.dubro.com/search?q=links
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

How difficult is it to do myself. I don't really have any experience so I probobly wouldn't risk it. Anyway I'm trying to find an afordable soloution to my clanky bach linkage.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

May require some skill with tools. Drilling, cutting, possibly threading. Basic shop type stuff.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

8parktoollover wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:01 pm ...
Anyway I'm trying to find an afordable soloution to my clanky bach linkage.
The clanky Bach linkage can work beautifully. Take it apart, clean it, pack it with grease, and reassemble it. Adjust it precisely. Use a good linkage oil on all the other points of contact. Done.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

greenbean wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:59 pm
8parktoollover wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:01 pm ...
Anyway I'm trying to find an afordable soloution to my clanky bach linkage.
The clanky Bach linkage can work beautifully. Take it apart, clean it, pack it with grease, and reassemble it. Adjust it precisely. Use a good linkage oil on all the other points of contact. Done.
A note on the adjust it part for folks that haven’t done it before. You probably won’t get it on your first try. Or fifth. But by the time you figure out the feel of it, it will work just fine if all the parts are in decent enough shape. Heck, I have one from 1952 here that requires almost no maintenance and works just fine. All you need is patience and enough mechanical aptitude to feel it out.

Cheers,
Andy
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

hyperbolica wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:00 am Image
I'm in the middle of doing one of these conversions myself on an old tuba, removing the old S links and putting in these Du-bro plastic links.

Some people talk smack about the plastic links, but I think they work fine, and for what we do with them, they are plenty durable. The tuba conversion is costing me about $30 in materials, and a couple hours of work (for 4 valves). I have Du-bro links on a bass bone as well, and they work fine (plus have some adjustability and disassemblability that the metal ones don't have.

Be careful about what you buy. Some of the flashy looking Chinese aluminum ones have had some problems with brass inserts pulling out. The Du-Bro are US made.

https://www.dubro.com/search?q=links
Those are great for tuba. For trombone, I use the smaller 2-56 thread type with the nylon sockets.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

My Bach bass has the old linkage. I never take it apart. Got it adjusted right years ago.

I pack the lube around it and hit it with a lighter. Let the grease melt into the works and it is good for 6 months. Probably longer but that is how often it gets done.

I lube the metal mini ball the same way. Along with the pivot spring rod. Grease then heat.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Modification & Repair”