New Adams TB1 Trombone

JohnMorgan

New Adams TB1 Trombone

Post by JohnMorgan »

Brand new to TromboneChat. Spend most of my time on Dave Werden's Euphonium/Tuba site. But I am also a trombone player and just purchased an Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone w/F attachment. I really, really like this horn. I also own an Adams E3 Custom Euphonium and have had that 3 years. It is outstanding.

Anyone here played or own an Adams trombone? I would be interested in your opinion of the horn. I currently have the Joe Alessi model Edwards trombone (which I will probably be selling), a Yamaha bass trombone and a Yamaha small bore trombone.

I bought the Adams TB1 at the recent ITEC (International Tuba Euphonium Conference) in Iowa City, Iowa. Adams, along with other vendors, had a display at the conference where most vendors were showing their euphoniums and tubas. A few had trombones. Adams brought along just one, the one I bought. I found the TB1 to be very responsive, open and free blowing, nice sound. The low Eb (with trigger) was the MOST OPEN and free blowing low Eb I have ever played on a trombone, hands down. The valve was designed by Miel Adams and manufactured in Germany (I think Germany). The tubing for the F wrap allows for what they call an open short wrap, such that the F tuning slide is almost even with the main tuning slide. I like that a lot. The trigger hardware is also very nice.

Anxious to hear anyone else's opinion of the horn. I highly recommend giving this horn a go. You can get it configured several ways. Mine has a gold brass bell, 0.55 mm gauge metal, and a dual bore slide.
John Morgan
U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
Neo Bri

Re: New Adams TB1 Trombone

Post by Neo Bri »

I didn't know they made trombones.
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Adams started making trombones recently. I expect they will become as outstanding as are their euphoniums, which they have been making for several years.
John Morgan
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I have played the large tenors, which I assume the TB1 is, with a bunch of different options (different gauge bells, yellow, gold, silver). I thought they were pretty good, at least on the showroom floor.

I'll take your Edwards!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I didn't know there was another John Morgan.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Ahh, but there is. And I have been John Morgan for over 70 years! I am a euphonium player first, but trombone is pretty special to me as well. I was also Captain Morgan for some of my time in the Army, but no relation to the pirate or rum.
John Morgan
KRRath

Post by KRRath »

John, I just looked up the TB1. Interesting wrap. I look forward to seeing it.
Kevin R.
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Hey Kevin - Yep, the wrap is interesting. Sort of like the Alessi Edwards but more so. Perhaps that is most of the reason the low Eb is so free blowing and not stuffy at all. Not doing the Northern Hills Band this summer, but our paths will cross soon enough. Am playing Bugler's Holiday with a couple other trombone players at this coming Wednesday evening Rapid City Municipal Band concert at 8 pm. It is a play off between the usual three trumpets and three trombones. Audience picks the winner. I will be using the Adams TB1.
John Morgan
Fruitysloth

Post by Fruitysloth »

I played that exact horn at ITEC as well! Miel hadn’t put it out yet, and I jokingly said “got any trombones?” Two seconds later, I had that horn in my hand. The response in the low register is great. It responds evenly in all registers, and using the valve feels nearly like playing the open horn. I plan on going to ITF and really trying all of his stuff, as I’d like to get an Adams with that gorgeous antique finish. Their alto trombone is also very solid, and they have plans to come out with a bass trombone that should be good to go for ITF.
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Yes, Fruitysloth, using the valve on this horn is so very close to an open horn feel and sound. I was amazed at that. I thought it might have been the mouthpiece I was using while at ITEC, but back home, I tried several trombone mouthpieces and still got that totally open, non stuffy feel with the valve. And Adams can finish these horns in many different and beautiful ways. I heard the same about the bass trombone being out soon. I will be interested in your report from ITF on Adams trombones.
John Morgan
JohntheTheologian

Post by JohntheTheologian »

John, I see that you've come over the dark side and are now hanging out here with the trombonists-- trombone has always been my primary instrument, although. I love playing euphonium.

I played the horn you bought after you recommended trying it at ITEC. I liked the way it played very much, but since I wasn't in the market for a bone, I really didn't give it much of a workout.

Talking with MIel, I asked him if he saw his horn as more in the Conn tradition or the Bach tradition and he said that it was his own design and couldn't really answer that.

As a Conn sound leaning guy myself, now that you've had it home for a week or so, what's your opinion on that? I'm assuming that your Edwards was more Bach-like. Maybe Miel's suggestion is accurate about not being like either tradition.

Just curious.
mfellows821

Post by mfellows821 »

For what it is worth. I have played Conn type versions of the custom horns all my life and never really cared for the Bach feel. I bought an Adams with a Gold bell and single bore slide with sterling crook. I feel it plays somewhere in between the lighter more nimble singing Conn and the heavier more projection Bachs. I am convinced the sterling crook is part of what I like about the Adams
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

I have mostly owned Bach trombones. I had a small bore King, and a couple small bore Yamahas and a Yamaha Xeno tenor which I liked a lot. I also have a Douglas Yeo model Yamaha bass trombone which I play in one of the orchestras I am in. I have little or no experience on a Conn, but I am sure I played one at some time, just never owned one. The Edwards Alessi bone played a little hard for me, and it was probably just me. Seemed I had to work a little harder to get the notes on the Edwards, especially higher range. The Adams I think is a new animal. It is not like my Bachs and not like my Edwards and not like my Yamaha. I can't compare it against a Conn. It has a gold bell and dual bore slide (which I have never had). I am using a euphonium mouthpiece on it. I know, that is just weird. But it really works. I tried several of my trombone mouthpieces (Griego, Wick, etc.) but I like the Warburton piece. I have played with other trombone players recently (duets, etc.) and asked about the sound to make sure I wasn't hearing things wrong. They all liked the sound, and said it sounded very much like a trombone, but a very warm sound. I think the gold bell is part of that, the mouthpiece is, also. The horn is easy for me to play, I mean really easy. Playing lazy ballads, like Shadow of Your Smile or I'm Getting Sentimental Over You, the horn just sings and the notes are effortless. I really, really like this Adams TB1.
John Morgan
JohntheTheologian

Post by JohntheTheologian »

John, thanks for the update. Your description sounds like your describing a Conn sound to a Conn fan such as me. :)

BTW, what are the specs of the tubes on your dual bore slide?
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

The bore sizes for the dual bore slide are 13.9 mm and 14.3 mm (.574 in and .563 in).
John Morgan

Return to “Instruments”