Centered and edgy sound wanted

bigbandbone

Centered and edgy sound wanted

Post by bigbandbone »

I happily just bought my first bass bone. Wow, still can't believe it! A Yamaha 421 G. While I'm waiting for FedEx to place it gently on my doorstep it's time to start thinking about a mouthpiece. I test played the stock factory mouthpiece and want something different.

I'm looking for a mouthpiece that will help me get a centered and edgy sound. Definitely not looking for the typical symphonic sound. I will primarily be playing big band. Think about all the anonymous bass bone players in the big bands of the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Kenton, Rich, Maynard, Basie, Herman.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Burgerbob

Re: Centered and edgy sound wanted

Post by Burgerbob »

It comes with a Yamaha 58, I think. That should get the job done.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

... Or a Bach 1 1/2 G (not M, not Megatone). If 1 1/2 G or Yamaha 58 is a little too big, look at Bach 2G.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The Yamaha 58L (supplied with the YBL-421G) or Schilke 58 would be a good starting point - but apparently the Yamaha 58 doesn't meet your vision. Nevertheless, you might want to give it a chance, since it came free!

For Big Band use, I prefer my Marcinkiewicz "Geo Roberts" model. :good:
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

BGuttman wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 pm ... Or a Bach 1 1/2 G (not M, not Megatone). If 1 1/2 G or Yamaha 58 is a little too big, look at Bach 2G.
Faxx 1 1/2G- Horn Guys, $40.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

The Yamaha 58L that came with mine was a good starting point. I discovered that my 0.547 Courtois really responded and sounded better with the 58L. To get a better low end I got a Bach 1 1/2G and really like that combination. I really love my 421G, especially when I put a lot of air through it. Best wishes in finding a fit your like.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
joebernie

Post by joebernie »

I've admittedly not played a Yamaha 58, but the specs compare more to a Bach 2G than a 1.5G (the oft-recommended starting size). I was happy with a Faxx 1.5G, I'm currently happier with a Yamaha 59, which is very slightly larger. I'd stick with the included mouthpiece for a bit since it's free, and you can make an informed purchase later.
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Wick 2AL
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Ferguson V. Slightly bigger than a 1.5g, but a lot more spike in the note. Get it at hornguys, or here used sometimes. Horn guys says it's more "efficient", which means more sound per volume air.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Sometimes a light blank makes it easier to put a little more "snap" in the sound. Maybe something like Marcinkiewicz 1.5 G or EBT3, or a Stork BT1.5 on a lightweight blank.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I played a Marcinkiewicz EBT3 with my Yamaha 321 bass (forerunner of 421) for a while, mainly 4th part in big band.

I liked that combination for playability and sound in big band and I even still get some use out of the mouthpiece on tenor trombone in concert band so it was a good investment.

Having said that, would it not be worth sticking with the stock model for a bit to see if your sound changes? I notice if I play bass after mainly playing tenor for a few Months it sounds somewhat dull and unfocussed and it takes me at least a few days adjustment to have full control of the focus/brightness again. That‘s having played both instruments for many years in all different types of groups.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

In my experience, bass bone in a big band is much more about how you play, not what you play. I've seen players who get a great big band bass bone sound play on any size from a Bach 3G to a Wick 00AL or even larger, for those who are more comfortable doing tuba doubling.

That said, my two favorite mouthpiece series are Wedge and Wick Heritage. Both are pricey, but if you have the funds and patience to buy several and sort out what works for you, they're well worth it. My current bass bone mouthpiece is the Wedge S59.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

The Yamaha 58 or Bach 1.5G will be a good starting point. From personal experience and watching other high school and college students go through the same thing, I found that the 58 & 1.5G are training wheelings, and it'll get you balanced, but you won't be able to go fast or move fast around corners.

I'm a big fan of the Schilke 59, and I currently play on a Hammond 20BXL (similar size to 59).

When you feel like the 58 has taken you as far as it can, give a bigger piece a try. You'll be shocked at how much it opens up the low end and makes it easier to play Low C's & pedals.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

AR Resonance made out of Phosphorus Bronze eill givevyou what you are looking for, and then some. Size will depend on preference. Personally ive scaled back to a BVL 72, but he makes an 80 with more of a U shaped cup for those that want it.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
islander

Post by islander »

Well, if you don't want a "symphonic" sound - and that's at least as much to do with what's going on in your head as your mouthpiece choice, and you also want to sound like those big band guys from the 60s onwards, then as others have pointed out, you have triangulated yourself at 1.5G. No need ever to move away from that size if it does what you want. Even modern big band music isn't all about pedals, and you need to think about the high stuff that you will need to play.

For every pedal G that's been required of me, I've needed to play 100 top Gs. As a rough guess.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

islander wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:02 am :good: Well, if you don't want a "symphonic" sound - and that's at least as much to do with what's going on in your head as your mouthpiece choice, and you also want to sound like those big band guys from the 60s onwards, then as others have pointed out, you have triangulated yourself at 1.5G. No need ever to move away from that size if it does what you want. Even modern big band music isn't all about pedals, and you need to think about the high stuff that you will need to play.

For every pedal G that's been required of me, I've needed to play 100 top Gs. As a rough guess.
:good: :good: :good:
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Maybe you should consider learning to play "bass trombone" with the piece that came with the horn, (since it is a fairly middle of the road mouthpiece) before searching for the "magic bullet". If you haven't learned how the horn plays, it will not matter what mouthpiece you use.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006

Return to “Mouthpieces”