Drilling a mouthpiece question

bigbandbone

Drilling a mouthpiece question

Post by bigbandbone »

I posted this at the end of the "Has anyone else drilled their 11C" thread, but since it's a more general question I thought I'd repost with it's own header. Any insights are appreciated.

What happens if you go too far when drilling out a mouthpiece? I've got my Bach 5GS small shank enlarged to .270 with an eased throat and feathered shank. I'm really liking it. I'm tempted to go one more drill size up to .276, but am afraid of ruining it.
baileyman

Re: Drilling a mouthpiece question

Post by baileyman »

Isn’t the purpose of drilling to be able to bang low partials with less backup? And isn’t a risk the loss of overtones of higher partials? It must be one heck on a sonic situation to need more than a quarter inch tube.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Actually I'm in a weird situation! I'm covering the 4th book in a big band and need some trigger low C's, but also need to do some solo work. I don't want to go all the way to a .462 full bass and I don't want to have two horns on stage. My litmus test is the bass bone part on Intermission riff. Slur from low Ab to trigger Db. I'm almost there with the .270 back bore, but not quite! Also, at .270 I still have a solid high Bb.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There are lots of mouthpieces with larger apertures already in them. If you like the smaller rim look at a Wick 9BS.

As to playing a high Bb, I can do it with my Doug Elliott 112.5/L/L7 setup (a little bigger than a 1 1/4 G; more like a Yamaha Yeo).

The problem with drilling a mouthpiece is that you keep going a little, then a lttle more, then -- oops, it's too much. Paperweight!
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:41 pm The problem with drilling a mouthpiece is that you keep going a little, then a lttle more, then -- oops, it's too much. Paperweight!
Here, here!!
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Isn't the bore size on the CL pieces like .333 inches? Keep going!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:31 am Isn't the bore size on the CL pieces like .333 inches? Keep going!
Christian Lindberg 5CL: 0.266" throat; 4CL: 0.303" throat
#2 pencil: ~0.277" across flats / ~0.286" across peaks
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The 2CL is even bigger if I remember correctly.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:16 am The 2CL is even bigger if I remember correctly.
Yes the 2CL is a "bigger" mouthpiece - even though the cup I.D. (near the rim) is similar, the cup is probably deeper, and the throat is HUGE. Would probably accommodate a Mont Blanc pen!

Unfortunately, the dimensions of the CL throats seem to be a trade secret - not published in the mouthpiece specs. You'll have to buy one and measure it! :idk:

Return to “Mouthpieces”