Back again

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
Bonearzt

Back again

Post by Bonearzt »

Take 42....

WOOHOO!!!!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Matt K
Verified

Re: Back again

Post by Matt K »

Yes indeed! As always, suggestions welcome. Turns out this theme and a few others are really mobile friendly too, so check it out on mobile devices too!
gbedinger

Post by gbedinger »

I'm here too, but suffering from whiplash. Nobody told me we were negotiating that hairpin curve!
badger

Post by badger »

Nice work. :D
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

gbedinger wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:42 am I'm here too, but suffering from whiplash. Nobody told me we were negotiating that hairpin curve!
Yes, we know. Sorry about that - and believe me, we didn't want to do what we had to do - but we're golden going forward - no problems anymore upgrading, etc. We're set! Thanks for joining us!
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

@
Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

@
Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Schlitz wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 am Yeah, there’s NO trombone graphics here either......
Stay tuned! I have some from the backup.

Also if anyone does graphic design we're looking to make something to replace the cup of latte on the top ;)
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Schlitz wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 am Yeah, there’s NO trombone graphics here either......
Yes, we know. We've been discussing it. We thought it better to get the site up and running and then add the niceties. I actually created a site banner yesterday but we have yet to upload it. Hopefully later today or tomorrow. Don't worry - we're on it.
BrerCottonmouth

Post by BrerCottonmouth »

Does this mean that all those bookmarks I've accumulated over the years to all the really great info on the TTF are gone? That's sad, and too bad.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

BrerCottonmouth wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:01 am Does this mean that all those bookmarks I've accumulated over the years to all the really great info on the TTF are gone? That's sad, and too bad.
We don't really know. Even those of us who moderate the TTF have no idea what is going on over there. I do have a backup of all of the threads. We were focusing on upgrading the site to the newest version over the last few weeks. Now that we're on the newest version and have structures in place to ensure that future upgrades are possible as needed, we'll be looking into how to get that backup working. That wouldn't help with your bookmarks unfortunately, but it would mean the information would still be accessible! Don't have an ETA yet but once I get my taxes finished I'll have more time to look into that.
BrerCottonmouth

Post by BrerCottonmouth »

Thanks Matt. I know you guys are doing your best—it's just that I remember some very good discussions/info over the years, and I'm sorry to lose the links to them. But, that's life in cyberspace, eh?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Matt K wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:03 am
Also if anyone does graphic design we're looking to make something to replace the cup of latte on the top ;)
I'll take a cortado.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

BrerCottonmouth wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:01 am Does this mean that all those bookmarks I've accumulated over the years to all the really great info on the TTF are gone? That's sad, and too bad.
That remains to be seen. None of us has any control over that.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
torobone

Post by torobone »

Once more, with feeling!
Martin Hubel
Tenors: Yamaha 891Z, 354, 697Z (on loan)
Symphony tenors: 1972 Bach 42B, Yamaha 882 GOR (on loan)
Basses: 2011 Yamaha 830 Xeno, 1942 NY Bach 50B
Alto: 1980 Bach 39
Lidl Bass Trumpet (on loan)
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

torobone wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:16 pm Once more, with feeling!
And last time, too! We're future-proofed now!
torobone

Post by torobone »

Likely so. I imagine rebuilding a busy server with 10,000+ members and 15+ years of history is not a small job. Considering this activity is being done out of the goodness of someone's heart, I would not get my hopes up.

I was able to upload my old avatar here, of which I am fond. 8-)
Martin Hubel
Tenors: Yamaha 891Z, 354, 697Z (on loan)
Symphony tenors: 1972 Bach 42B, Yamaha 882 GOR (on loan)
Basses: 2011 Yamaha 830 Xeno, 1942 NY Bach 50B
Alto: 1980 Bach 39
Lidl Bass Trumpet (on loan)
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

OOPS I put my first post into the (classifieds) "Everything Else" instead of "Tangents" ...

toooooo much chaaaaaange!

;)
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Woohoo!
It is even letting me post now!

Sorry we lost some things, but better to lose some info than to have a non functional board.

Cheers,
Andy
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

elmsandr wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:47 pm Woohoo!
It is even letting me post now!

Sorry we lost some things, but better to lose some info than to have a non functional board.

Cheers,
Andy
Exactly. We learned a lot in the first iteration. These mistakes won't be repeated. And we are dedicated to staying involved. AND multiple people have the keys. So it won't be abandoned.
blast

Post by blast »

Schlitz wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 am Well, could we get back to observations and wisdom from Chris Stearn? Jughead Jones & Co. aren't here. Could we just give him his own board to talk about stuff? Thanks.
Wisdom ??? observations I do.....wisdom is in the eye of the beholder.

Chris
Grah

Post by Grah »

I found the required new registration process very confusing. Especially as it would not accept my old user name, which is was suggesting I should use. It was only my name "Graham Martin" and I do not see why this cannot be a user name.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It has the same domain as before so if you saved your password and username in your browser it was probably trying to login on the same page you were registering. (In other words the suggestion was probably coming from your browser.)

I'll double check on that but length shouldn't have been an issue. I can override it and give you that name though. Could you send me a pm if you'd want me to do that? That way I won't forget to do it. Sorry about the trouble!
Grah

Post by Grah »

Also I cannot load an Avatar using the upload instruction.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Grah wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:47 pm I found the required new registration process very confusing. Especially as it would not accept my old user name, which is was suggesting I should use. It was only my name "Graham Martin" and I do not see why this cannot be a user name.
Yep, probably a cookies issue.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Grah wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 pm Also I cannot load an Avatar using the upload instruction.
Strange - I had no problem at all. Did it throw an error? Too big? Wrong file type?

Cookies issue again. Clear your cache and/or try a different browser.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you have a problem with an image to use as an avatar, you should get some kind of error message back. I tried to use the picture I had in "Meet the Staff" on TTF and it told me it was too big (both in dimensions and files size). I took another picture and cropped me out and it seemed to be happy with that.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Grah

Post by Grah »

Just did not upload the photo file I had chosen. I use Microsoft Edge with Windows 10 and I ain't gonna change because I have too many cross referenced websites. If this is the problem, then it's no avatar for me.

Possibly also it is the recent changes Microsoft made to its "Photos" program, which I do not like one bit because it only shows jpeg icons instead of a picture. Microsoft really is hopeless these days since the introduction of Windows 10.

Grah
Grah

whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I appreciate the efforts to make this site fly. Wish we had an email list to notify the others.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

whitbey wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 pm I appreciate the efforts to make this site fly. Wish we had an email list to notify the others.
Maybe talk it up on the Facebook page?
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:18 pm
whitbey wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 pm I appreciate the efforts to make this site fly. Wish we had an email list to notify the others.
Maybe talk it up on the Facebook page?
Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, I think it would be great if the community slid over here. We're going to keep this place updated and active.

I'm not on Facebook, so that's someone else's purview.
Grah

Post by Grah »

It is possible I have solved the Avatar problem. We'll see???

Yep!!! :D
Grah

Grah

Post by Grah »

I should point out that the way I got my new Avatar to work was by modifying the Microsoft Windows 'Photo' program to show photos instead of icons. This was achieved by going to the Control Panel, All Control Panel Items, File Explorer Options, View, and unchecking the box "Always show icons, never thumbnails".

It worked for me, anyway.
Grah

BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I like the avatar. Especially the hat.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

O.K. - I finally realized that I had to re-register with TromboneChat from scratch. I've done it (same User Name and Password), and now I'm back.

With the previous TromboneChat version, I could configure reading posts so that the newest appeared first (at the top of the list). Is this still possible, so I don't have to scroll to the bottom of each page to fine the latest entry?

What about formatting options (bold, italic, ...) for new posts?

By the way, I agree with previous posters - what's with the coffee cup? I think most trombonists are beer-drinkers, aren't they?
AussieBoneCollector

Post by AussieBoneCollector »

Hi guys,
I just did the registration on my phone and had some trouble. The 'Submit' button did not work. The page kept telling me the confirmation code was incorrect. Only worked by pressing the go button on my phone.
All good now.
Michael
Yamaha 830 Xeno Bass 2014
Yamaha 882 GOR Tenor 2015
Olds P22 George Roberts Custom Bass 1976
Olds R15 Recording 1956
Olds Standard TIS 1924
H.N.White "The King" large bore 1920
Unknown rotary valve trombone circa 1940
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

After (successfully?) re-registering (with my former User Name and Password) I'm back - but my previous attempt to post a reply disappeared without a trace. Is there a problem with my account?
RichC

Post by RichC »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:17 pm O.K. - I finally realized that I had to re-register with TromboneChat from scratch. I've done it (same User Name and Password), and now I'm back.

With the previous TromboneChat version, I could configure reading posts so that the newest appeared first (at the top of the list). Is this still possible, so I don't have to scroll to the bottom of each page to fine the latest entry?

By the way, I agree with previous posters - what's with the coffee cup? I think most trombonists are beer-drinkers, aren't they?
Click on the 'person' (profile) icon - top right tabs- then User Control Panel from the drop down menu. Go to Board Preferences tab, then Edit Display options. Change topic and post order direction
RichC

Post by RichC »

RichC wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:13 am
Posaunus wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:17 pm O.K. - I finally realized that I had to re-register with TromboneChat from scratch. I've done it (same User Name and Password), and now I'm back.

Click on the 'person' (profile) icon - top right tabs- then User Control Panel from the drop down menu. Go to Board Preferences tab, then Edit Display options. Change topic and post order direction
guess I should add that the process of getting to the options varies slightly depending on which 'board style' you're on. Above applies to the default 'latte'.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The first few posts have to be approved by a moderator. I just woke up this morning to a number of obvious bot posts that we'll have to figure out how to deal with so we don't need to do that every morning! It appears as though your other post has been approved and thusly visible.

In response to that:

Yes, there are a few ways. We have a number of themes installed. We've made the default latte in part because of the way it handles tablets and phone. There is an icon on the bottom that looks like a sideways pyramid (see attached pic). You can, from there also choose a different sorting mechanism, criterion for posts to display, as well as their ordering.

You may also permanently alter it in the manner that Rich has pointed out.

You may also use the default theme, which you can access from the user control panel. The default is prosilver. Bruce prefers it as well. There are some things that are nice about it, including that probably the majority of phpbb forums use it so you can easily google how to do x and probably find it pretty quick just because of its popularity. Again, we elected to go with latte for a number of reasons including how friendly it is for mobile devices which was a big complaint about both the TTF and the old site.

Concerning italics etc, the default reply is Quick Reply. If you press "Full Edit and Preview" you will see many more options, including the GUI interface for how to use text formatting and for attaching files, as well as a myriad of other options (in the aptly named options tab of the reply). However, if you have the BBCode strylings memorized, you may type them yourself. That is how I do it because I'm too lazy to move my hand off my keyboard for most things!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillO

Post by BillO »

This is a nice version of phpBB and I’m glad you’ve found a way to provide for the future, although I’ve been around IT long enough to see the possible folly in promising that publicly. It reminds of the trap we’ve all found ourselves in when we say “This will only take a minute!”.

Anyway, congratulations on getting it done. It’s a bit of a shame though that we had to start from scratch, but that is sometimes how reality manifests itself.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

@
Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I bought a car today. Busy. We'll try to get it happening but everyone's busy.
mrpillow

Post by mrpillow »

Why on earth did you waste time getting your own life in order when the internet demands satisfaction?
Organologique et plus!
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

mrpillow wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:19 pm Why on earth did you waste time getting your own life in order when the internet demands satisfaction?
^_^
I know it was good-natured - we're making progress everywhere, and fast!
LowrBrass

Post by LowrBrass »

Schlitz wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:22 pm :ugeek: Still no trombone graphics. What is this place, a hangout for $tarbuck$ people that merely play a trombone? :ugeek:

Trombone graphics showed up somewhere between me registering half an hour ago and right now!!

I guess maybe we are in the right place. :shock:
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

LowrBrass wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:31 pm
Schlitz wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:22 pm :ugeek: Still no trombone graphics. What is this place, a hangout for $tarbuck$ people that merely play a trombone? :ugeek:

Trombone graphics showed up somewhere between me registering half an hour ago and right now!!

I guess maybe we are in the right place. :shock:
:mrgreen:
PhilipEdCarlson

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

Schlitz wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:22 pm
Still a coffee cup for me...
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

PhilipEdCarlson wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:22 pm
Schlitz wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:22 pm
Still a coffee cup for me...
Change your theme to Latte (not Latte Red). Then you will see the trombone. Note that before you log in you are in the Latte theme.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
badger

Post by badger »

All I know is there is good work being done, Thanks To Everyone!

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”