Greg Black 6.5 large shaft?

WillydeWoofer

Greg Black 6.5 large shaft?

Post by WillydeWoofer »

Dear trombone friends.
I am a pro musician, teacher, conductor in the Netherlands.
For my old 6H's I play a Greg Black 6.5 with off course a small shaft. I play well on more brands f.i. Bach, Hamilton, Doug Elliott, Marcinkiewicz, a.o. But the G.B. does all I want.
I got a King 2104-F and am looking for this mouthpiece with a large shank. I cannot find it in the list from Greg.
So I send him a few emails, but never got an answer. So: is he still in business?
With kind regards,
Wil
trombonedemon

Re: Greg Black 6.5 large shaft?

Post by trombonedemon »

He is a busy man!!! Facebook, I heard was a great way to get at him.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

trombonedemon wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 am He is a busy man!!! Facebook, I heard was a great way to get at him.
Thanks I will try that way.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Someone who stocks his pieces would be your best bet probably. 6.5 is a common size that they are likely to have instock if they have anything in stock. I don't know if Greg's nomenclature mirrors the original... but the Bach that it is invariably modeled from originally started as a small shank. The "L" is a modification that specifies a particular backbore. This makes the small shank taper larger than it normally would be. The large shank comes along and you can get the same piece... but the large shank 6.5A is larger than the 6.5AL because the "L" again specifies a particular, smaller backbore for the large shank.

Some copies just use the name because of its popularity whether or not the "L" actually means something. I'm not sure what Greg's offerings are or how they compare but it might be worth checking with whomever you order it from what Greg does for that particular peculiarity.

For what it's worth, there is a form member, https://trombonechat.com/memberlist.php ... file&u=109 Zach Thornton has a good relationship with Greg and seems to be able to get his ear and works at a shop that can order for you.
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

Thanks,I understand it's not that simple.
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

I don't like buying before trying.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

WillydeWoofer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:01 pm I don't like buying before trying.
That may be a very big problem with Zach. His store is in Texas, near Houston. Long trip from the Netherlands to try it out.

Does Thomann carry any?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

I will find outt what Thomann has.
Normally Adams in Itttervoort has a lot but no Greg Black.
Music All Inn has the brand AR Resonance.
I haven't played other than Greg Black for many years.
So what to do?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You may like AR Resonance. They are quality mouthpieces. It won't be called "6.5", but if you find the right combination it should work as well as the Greg Black.

Greg Black is a small maker and he's based in the US. If you must try before you buy, you may need to rethink things a bit.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

You should check out what the return policy is. If you really want a Greg Black that's probably your only realistic option --- they also fetch a reasonably close to new price on the used market so you might be able to find someone over on that side of the pond that will buy if you don't like.

AR pieces also get lots of praise so if you can try them over there, also a possible option. Another good option are Faxx pieces; they have limited options but they do have the size you want. THey are well made copies of good examples of the pieces they make. THey're deceptively cheap. They aren't poorly made by any means, just a different strategy.

Yet another option would be to check with someone like Doug Elliott (also a forum member here). He sells 3 piece mouthpieces and has a generous return policy. --- Looks like you have some experience with him but a lot of players have just gotten 2nd hand pieces; getting new is rather different. Because there are so many stock options and because parts fit together that "shouldn't" go together (such as mismatching the shanks to the cups such as a C shank on a G cup) you can get a misleading impression without some guidance. The nomenclature can be confusing at first. At any rate, Doug can make a suggestion, send say, 3 full mouthpieces out which is actually 9 combinations and then you return the pieces you don't like. Or if you're settled on a 6.5 rim, you can just get that shape, an LT100-6.5 and then several underparts. For a King 4B, an LT E, E8 is probably going to work quite well (that would be very similar to the 6.5AL) but an LT F/F8 or LTG/G8 might also work really well with that rim.
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

At first I wanna thank everybody for their nice reactions and help.

Let me tell you the whole story.
Severall yours ago I went to the biggest shop in the Netherlands. I played with a Conn 6H every mouthpiece around 6.5 bore. I ended up with a Karl Hammond 13ML.
A few years later I met Doug Eliott in Paris (France) at the ITF. He told me my Karl Hammond 13ML was no 6.5 but a largere mouthpiece. I was very surprised about that. After working an hour with Doug I had the combination LT101+LTE+E2(small shaft). This combination outperformed my Hamilton. So I bought it. This mouthpiece I played for years until I became pricipal in a bigband and a brass band. I found out that my former Greg Black 6.5 was better for that job.

For your information I: 20 years ago I asked Doug to send me "his" 6.5AL combination. I received his LT100+LTD+D2(small shaft). However I didn't (and still don't) like this combination. It is to small for me.
At the moment I am considering to approach Doug with this story. Maybe he will now knows the solution?
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

Hoe can I get my two Doug Elliott mouthpieces out of each other without making damage? With a tool?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

WillydeWoofer wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:13 am Hoe can I get my two Doug Elliott mouthpieces out of each other without making damage? With a tool?

The shank has a hex nut configuration so you can put an adjustable wrench (flat faced) on it. To get grip on the rim or cup, I use one of those jar openers that is a sheet of rubber.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

Thanks Bruce, I will give it a try.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Willy, I just emailed you my page on how to loosen a mouthpiece.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Greg does make a large shank 6 1/2. He doesn’t have a return policy though. Best idea would be to go through a dealer who does. Let me know if you need any help.
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:21 pm Willy, I just emailed you my page on how to loosen a mouthpiece.
Thanks Doug.
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

Dear friends,
Doug is helping me perfect at the moment. He has a lot off knowledge. Also about trombones.
Probably he's going to send me a few parts to combine the parts I already have.
So there is gonna be a solution in short. I will let you know. And everybody thanks again.
Wil
HenryLooma

Greg Black 6 5 large shaft

Post by HenryLooma »

Retail reakt, large. All logos have been removed. Only used it for reffing. So like new condition. Don’t have the ear pieces. 90 shipped in the US, 100 to Canada. Message me for pics
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

After a few good contacts Doug send me three shanks. They just arrived. Great service!
Today I will gonna try them.
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

I tried the largest combination I have now for the Conn 6H and it is ver very good.
Easy playing and the rim feels very good. It's a sonore sound with sharpness.
Very good for a brass band.

Return to “Mouthpieces”