Power in the upper reaches

sterb225

Power in the upper reaches

Post by sterb225 »

I've been working hard to expand my range and am starting to get much more consistent/reliable results in the D5 and above region lately. Now I need to add some power to these notes ... D5 is solid most days, with power fading through F5 and then progressively falling off to a squeak as I approach but never quite reach C6 ... any hints for getting my D, E and F (and maybe G) to sound more in line with the rest of my range.
SaigonSlide

Re: Power in the upper reaches

Post by SaigonSlide »

1. More face time...that has always helped me. Think of it like working out, running, etc. Need to strengthen the muscles.

2. Coordinate all the stuff happening there (air, chops, tongue, etc).

It's complicated, so I always like Carmine Caruso's method. If you don't know it check it out. He really reinforces relatively straight-forward concepts: repetitive actions, always counting carefully, and semi-long tones. His method books focus on timing and calisthenics for the chops.

I have had success with his method. Also working on speeding up the airflow through the aperture by changing position of the tongue.
sterb225

Post by sterb225 »

I have locked into the air speed/focus benefit lately and and now making those changes consciously as I go for the higher notes .... I'll check out the method.
King2bPlus

Post by King2bPlus »

A good exercise to increase power in the upper register.
Tanner-Practice With The Experts.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Jackson
King 2b+, King 3b
Elliott LT 104N, C, C2
Elliott LT 104N, C+, D2
Slideofhand1

Post by Slideofhand1 »

Power in any register is driven by the energy stored in your lungs.
Learning to take a full ,controlled yoga breath ,lower,middle upper, will provide that energy and will allow you to play with less pressure.This knowledge will enable you reap the true benefits of exercises such as Tanner ,thanks King2bplus,and Arban to say the least

Return to “Performance”