Photography equipment

SwissTbone

Photography equipment

Post by SwissTbone »

Hi there

Any photographs on this forum?

I am looking into buying some more serious photo equipment than my Lumix compact camera.

Particularly I think I will take pics of my kids (duh...) and my trombones. I want to make great quality pics and the compact camera isn't doing it anymore. Any tips?

I am looking into the Sony Alpha 6000 wich seems to be a cool camera, any experiences?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
AndrewMeronek

Re: Photography equipment

Post by AndrewMeronek »

My experience in photography is in the industrial sphere, not scenic/portrait stuff. My mother is a pretty good amateur photographer, though. She got her start into deeper knowledge on the subject by joining a local photography club. I'd recommend doing that before buying expensive equipment, if you can find one reasonably local to you.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 am My experience in photography is in the industrial sphere, not scenic/portrait stuff. My mother is a pretty good amateur photographer, though. She got her start into deeper knowledge on the subject by joining a local photography club. I'd recommend doing that before buying expensive equipment, if you can find one reasonably local to you.
Good point. Unfortunately no such clubs here. I live in a very rural part of europe...
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The pace of change in digital photography equipment over the past two decades has been breathtaking.

My first digital camera took 640x480 pictures. It was the equivalent of an old Box Brownie. I replaced it with a 7 Megapixel Kodak with a 4:1 zoom plus additional electronic zoom. It's probably pretty obsolete now, although it still takes nice pictures. I still have a collection of film cameras although they rarely get used nowadays.

Most of the serious digital photographers seem to use equipment by the same makers who were the top of line of film cameras: Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Minolta/Leitz. Sony has claimed a spot among these, mostly because they have the sensor technology. The others have the optics and the modularity.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

It really all depends on your budget. If you are looking for a good first interchangeable lens camera then Nikon, Canon, Sony, and Fuji are the way to go. Here are some advantages to each system:

Nikon: if you go with a DSLR they have made the F-mount for a long time (just be careful as some lenses are not compatible with newer cameras (AF-D lenses won't work with entry level cameras because these lenses require the camera to have a focus motor built in, but Nikon moved the focus motors to the lens with AF-S lenses and newer). If you do their mirror-less system there are not many lens options yet.

Canon: if you go with a DSLR they have plenty of EF or EF-S lenses that are great. If you go with their mirror-less system they don't have a lot of affordable lenses yet.

Sony: Newer to the game, their mirror-less full frame cameras are great (a9, a7III), their APS-C cameras like the a6000 are a little older and focus a little slower than newer cameras

Fuji: Stylish cameras that are very good performers as well. They are a little more expensive because of their cool factor that they offer.

As will anything else it all comes down to how much you want to spend and if you want to only take photos, or plan on also taking videos with the cameras. Personally I use Nikon for Sports Photography at the Collegiate DI level and couldn't be happier with my Nikon D500 and 200-500mm f5.6 lens, but that set up will cost you around $3300. You can get a new Nikon D3xxx series kit with a lens or two for under $500 and that is what my father uses for travel photos when he goes on vacation. I have tired the a9 and a7III from Sony and they are both wonderful cameras, but again are aimed for professional use and are priced there as well.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Olympus (mirrorless) also have an excellent reputation.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Budget is 1000 usd max. I know thats not enough for pro equipment, but good amateur setups should be possible. I ama lso not afraid of buying used.

Yes, olympus looks good also. Any ideas on what model I should look into?

And I think I will go mirrorless.
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I still use my Nikon F from 1969.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

SimmonsTrombone wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:55 am I still use my Nikon F from 1969.
Thank you for the info. Do you suggest I should buy a camera from 1969?...
mrpillow

Post by mrpillow »

Good lenses and understanding how to use the equipment will go a lot further than nitpicking which model you get. Any dSLR made in the last five years will be more than adequate for any sort of hobbyist photography that isn't in a specialized application. Pick up a nice used Canon or Nikon body, invest in 2 nice used lenses, and get to work on your technique.
Organologique et plus!
shider

Post by shider »

A little bit off-topic:
I don't know anything about cameras or photography, but reading this I remembered a work colleague ranting about his co-workers who wanted to have a better camera for their department: They currently have a small compact camera (worth about 100-150€ i guess) and they complained it doesn't take good enough pictures.
He didn't dare to say directly to their face, that it isn't the cameras fault if the guy behind it doesn't know what he does :shuffle: he had some choice german (dialect) terms for that, which don't really translate that well, but he then took the camera to a convention, shot some pictures which came out really good with it and laid them out for his co-workers to basically tell them: it's not the camera, it's you!

However: if you already know what you are doing, then all power to you! go get a nice camera! :)
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Of course, you gotta know the Limits of your compact camera before going to a more advanced camera.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Some people get surprisingly good pictures from less expensive cameras by using good technique. I don't know the nuances but good stable tripods and cable or remote releases were part of the advice.
afugate

Post by afugate »

mrpillow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 am Good lenses and understanding how to use the equipment will go a lot further than nitpicking which model you get. Any dSLR made in the last five years will be more than adequate for any sort of hobbyist photography that isn't in a specialized application. Pick up a nice used Canon or Nikon body, invest in 2 nice used lenses, and get to work on your technique.
:good: This.

In my case, I typically look for refurb models or last year's equipment for camera bodies. And I built my investment in lenses a piece at the time, looking for used bargains. And while waiting for additional lenses, I spent my time studying photography, shooting a lot and talking to the photographers at the newspaper where I used to work.

I'll pass along my favorite piece of advice. Spend more time cropping and throwing away photos than you spend taking them. Inside every photo is a story waiting to be told. You just have to find it.

-- Andy in OKC
Carolus

Post by Carolus »

The choice of the DSLR system should be made based on the lenses that you need/can get hold of within your budget. Most people settle for Canon or Nikon. If you plan to shoot in low light nothing beats a low F value lens and big sensor. Seems the area where the bodies are evolving the most these days are in video capture.

Return to “Technology”