Bach Bell Markings

trompanner

Bach Bell Markings

Post by trompanner »

If this is a topic that has been covered, then I sincerely apologize...If not, this might be an interesting point of discussion.

I'm well aware of the coveted New York and Mt. Vernon instruments that bear such markings on the bell...but I recently became curious of something regarding the Elkhart instruments. When did Bach trombones stop bearing the "Corporation" marking on the bell? If I understand correctly (and I could be wrong) most of the New York and Mt. Vernon era trombones bore the "Corporation" marking, so I assume that the practice continued after the opening of operations at the Elkhart factory. The question is, for how long?
Burgerbob

Re: Bach Bell Markings

Post by Burgerbob »

Until about 1980, when Bach was bought out.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

The bells marked corporation are also quite coveted. Not as much as ny or mv of course, but still... and they are great bells!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
trompanner

Post by trompanner »

I was thinking that the Corporation markings had to have been on the horns dating up to at least the 70's if not the 80's. I have a couple of 90's horns and they don't have the Corporation marking. Although I have to day that my 42 bell is pretty darn good.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

As I said, the marking continued until 1980. I happen to have a couple Corp 50 bells and have owned another 4 or 5 in the past, as well as 42s.

As with any age, though, some are good and some are bad. Modern (post Corp) Bachs can be amazing instruments too. I just sold an 80s bell that did many things much better than my current Corp bell.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Burgerbob is correct.

"Corporation Bach" refers to horns made after the move to Elkhart until about 1980 when they removed the "Corporation" marking on the bell. So, roughly 1965 to 1980. Yes, the New York and Mt Vernon horns were marked "Corporation" but they are not referred to as Corporation horns. They are called New York and Mt Vernon horns...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Similar to bell markings. There was an older style valve lever soldered on the MP side of the bell section low more like a Conn. What year did they change that?
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

That's a much earlier thing, I think Mt. Vernon era. Not sure of the exact year.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

whitbey wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:58 pm Similar to bell markings. There was an older style valve lever soldered on the MP side of the bell section low more like a Conn. What year did they change that?
Some of the early Elkhart's had that, too. Mine did.

Andrew
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I have a 1948 NY Bach that has it. Every MV horn with a valve that I have seen had it. And I know they used it until the very early Elkhart years. The one that followed (that everyone is familiar with) was a huge improvement!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Instruments”