I need a good repair tech to help fix an out of tune bass trombone 2nd valve

aasavickas

I need a good repair tech to help fix an out of tune bass trombone 2nd valve

Post by aasavickas »

I'm looking for a good repair tech to put a new wrap on my Shires bass trombone. The 2nd valve was supposed to be tuned to a 1/4 tone G(Bollinger style) tuning. But it is a bit too long. I tried sending it back to Shires to fix it but they tried and failed to fix the issue.

It sounds like I need to make a new wrap that is narrower and a bit shorter. If it is possible to make a few slides for it or design it so that the valve can be tuned to either a Gb -1/4 G - and real G tuning that would be cool. Not sure if that is possible but I'm interested in seeing what we can do.

At the very least I would like the valve to be able to be tuned the way it was intended.

If you think you know how to do this or want to try, please send me a PM and we can see about what it might cost and what the options are.

Thanks
disco

Re: I need a good repair tech to help fix an out of tune bass trombone 2nd valve

Post by disco »

I’d check with John Sandhagen at The Boneyard in Claremont California.
Conn 6H Elkhart
Conn 100H
Conn 74H
Conn 88HCL
Conn 8HCL Detachable Bell Boneyard Conversion
Conn 8HT Boneyard Axial Conversion
King 2B+ X2
1939 King 2B
Yamaha 882 OR
Conn 60H with Detachable Bell Boneyard Dependent Conversion
greenbean

Re: I need a good repair tech to help fix an out of tune bass trombone 2nd valve

Post by greenbean »

Yes.

Where are you located. Nice not to do this long-distance.

A bunch of great techs out there who do this kind of work. Eric Edwards, Benn Hansson, Dick Akright, Todd Clontz, Brian Russel, Brad Close, Terry Pierce, the M&W guys?, and some techs in Akron and NYC whose names I can't come up with... and a bunch more...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Tony, are you currently in Detroit? You might check with Chuck Ward near Cleveland. He was a designer for King/Benge and has a reputation as one of the best in the business. https://www.chuckwardbrass.com/brass-in ... r-contact/
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Locally, you can check out Kevin Powers at Custom Music Corp in Ferndale.

Across the state, I have a buddy that can do a great job over in Kalamazoo, Steve Serra at Meyer Music. The guys up at Meridian Winds also do decent work, but I don’t know who’s doing brass work there these days.

This should be pretty straightforward to get it set up a lot like an Edwards B454-V with different length slides.

Cheers,
Andy
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

I'll send out some emails and see if I can find a good local-ish repair guy to help me out.
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

I got the repair work done by Chuck Ward outside of Cleveland. He did a fantastic job and did it at a very reasonable price.

If you are in the area and need some work done, I would recommend him.

Check him out.

www.chuckwardbrass.com
Corey

Post by Corey »

I’d recommend Scott Sweeny: www.sweeneybrass.com

He’s fantastic. Made a custom 2nd valve for my Conn bass. Does lots of custom stuff. Highly recommended.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Update?...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
goldendomer04

Post by goldendomer04 »

I would recommend Eric Swanson.

He added a second valve and open wrapped my Conn 60H, turning it into a Minick-Inspired dream to play.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I live in Rochester MI
My guy for years has been Kevin Powers. He was the foreman for Shilke. Great at custom work and the better then Edwards for slide work.
Kevin Powers, 734/242-4914 c734/915-5606 3151 N.Custer Monroe MI
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

Benn did the Rotax conversion on my 79h. He’s a solid choice for your project.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8

Return to “Modification & Repair”