Can I leave my horn on a stand ...

PaulT

Can I leave my horn on a stand ...

Post by PaulT »

Overnight? Into the next day? Longer?

When reading forum posts on trombone stands, a fellow mentioned that he liked his "in bell" stand, but he didn't like to leave it in his horn overnight or longer as it trapped moisture against the inner bell and it tarnished the metal (or something like that).

Anyway, since reading that post, I have avoided leaving my trombone on it's stand when I am done playing as I don't want to put it away wet with the stand pad jammed up the bell. I will often just leave my horn on a table so that air can circulate freely and allow it to dry out. (I have a dedicated music room (re-purposed bedroom) that is mine and mine alone, so my horns are safe from all but me)

Am I being overly cautious? Is this something to bear in mind or not? Does a horn need to dry and does a stand's plug inhibit this? Do I need to chill?
2bobone

Re: Can I leave my horn on a stand ...

Post by 2bobone »

Quesion ------ How much air circulation do you think your horn would get if it's always in its case ? Lighten up !
Leisesturm

Post by Leisesturm »

You may get differing, opinions but my personal take is that very little moisture actually makes it to the bell end of a Trombone. I would feel more anxious about a horn left on a table than one left on a stand made for the purpose of supporting Trombones. Most French Horns don't have spit valves anywhwere so Hornists do indeed chase the moisture out through the bell, the valve slides, the tuning slides, the mouthpiece receiver, no orifice of a Horn is safe. I read somewhere about putting a few drops of oil right down the mouthpiece receiver every several days. Under the wave compressions of playing, the oil is carried through the entire bore of the horn keeping it protected against the ever present moisture. FWIW.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I found that leaving my trombone on a Hamilton stand all the time left a ring inside the bell from moisture on the dome. This can be easily prevented by using a "bone sock" or towel on the dome of the stand. Or using a stand that has some kind of pattern that lets the moisture evaporate.

If your instrument on the stand is not subject to pets or siblings bumping into it, there should be no problem with leaving the instrument on the stand all the time. Not as good an idea if you are leaving it on the stand in a rehearsal room, on a stage, or any area where there is a lot of traffic that can cause the instrument to tip over.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

You can fix air circulation in a stand easily by getting these little felt disk furniture sliders at a hardware store, then stick them on the bumper where the bell sits, 3 or 4 will do. They self stick, but to really get them on use contact cement or automotive trim cement.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've had my 88h for over 40 years and kept it on a stand (with a sock) most of the time and it's still beautiful.

Unless you clean it, the moisture never really dries (if you play every day). If you worry about moisture, swab the slide with a rod covered with cheesecloth.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I can see if you have a Hamilton with the grey rubber seal and use it bare it might trap some moisture, but I put a thick soft sock over mine like Hyberbolica. Never had a problem. An alternative would be getting a Hercules or other stand that holds the horn by the slide braces, leaving the tubing open. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... gIFNfD_BwE
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Kingfan wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:22 am An alternative would be getting a Hercules or other stand that holds the horn by the slide braces
Yeah, I've got one of those, and I think it's the best idea for a trombone stand available. You are much less likely to damage the horn (those "dents" - really buckling - in front of the bell brace are caused by supporting the instrument on its bell), it's more stable, but it's heavy and not very portable, and it doesn't fit all horns (like double trigger bones with the middle finger trigger), and doesn't fit grips with wraps on them nicely.

Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I found mine real handy when I was pretending to be a French horn in a brass quintet by playing trombone with a bucket mute. This stand allowed me to leave the mute on the bell all the time, didn't have to take it out every time I put the horn down and put it back when I needed to play. It isn't as portable as a Hamilton, so when I don't need it for quintet I leave it at home and take my Hamilton/sock combo.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Thanks for the responses. I have just the sock for my stand.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Suggest using a Hamilton Bone Sock (specially designed for this purpose) instead of an old gym sock on your trombone stand.

"Microfiber sock fits over bell cup and support shaft of trombone stands; absorbs moisture and cushions horn; can be left on stand for transport; washable; fits Hamilton and many other stands."

Affordable, works great, looks neat and clean. Absorbs moisture and allows "breathing." You can leave your trombone on the stand for a long time - but my habit is to clean the slide and swab inner and outer slide until they are "bone dry" before storing my trombones.

https://www.wwbw.com/Hamilton-Trombone- ... ductDetail
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Actually, I ordered the Hamilton sock when I ordered my stand (K&M Heavy Duty). But, I lost track of it and gave it no more thought... until this thread. Newly motivated, I found it earlier this evening. And it fits like a dream... as does the Under Armour micro-fiber training sock that has been without its partner and all alone for at least three wash cycles now.

Thanks
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

My Dad passed away last year... age 91. He played trombone from the age of 7 - always left his horns on the stand with a yellow duster on it. Did it for sure my whole life and his Olds Recording, Conn 78 and Besson were variously dated from 1949 to 1976 and they are all now in my possession and are all immaculate - leave it on your stand... youre much more likely to practice that way!!!... Doug
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

I know someone that has 10-15 horns on in bell stands at any given moment, and they are all in immaculate condition. I usually have 2-3 out at any given moment, and have never had an issue. I jist put a sock over the top, np need for a special cover or any kind. I have the slide mounted hercules stand as well, and absolutely hate it.
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:17 am I found that leaving my trombone on a Hamilton stand all the time left a ring inside the bell from moisture on the dome. This can be easily prevented by using a "bone sock" or towel on the dome of the stand. Or using a stand that has some kind of pattern that lets the moisture evaporate.
I sadly learned this the hard way. I had a 16M with a gold plated bell section. After a few years of putting it on a Hamilton stand, I noticed a ring of silver showing where the gold had worn off. I’ve used a cloth on my stand ever since, about the last 25 years.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have kept my horns on a stand for 40 years. A cloth over the post is good.

My horn stand is mounted on the floor so the horns can't be slid into each other.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1izx3 ... RWNm8/view
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
BrerCottonmouth

Post by BrerCottonmouth »

I always leave my horns on in-bell stands with a bell sock. I find that the protective socks can be pretty damp when I pick up my horn, so, for hygiene's sake, I think it's a good idea to wash/dry the socks every so often.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

My worry is letting moisture sit in the slide bow causing red rot. I cannot tell you how many slide bows I replaced over the years that were rotted out!
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Are you drinking soda while you play? I've never had to replace a slide crook on any of my own horns. I think it would be better to have the moisture collect in the crook rather than up in the slide tubes.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Depending on the pH of the moisture in the crook, you could have enhanced corrosion. Especially if you are living near a coal fired power plant or steel mill. Also, ocean air is relatively salty so if you live on the coast you could have enhanced corrosion. Living near a volcano can also cause this.

If you drink a lot of black coffee, especially strong coffee, or Coca-Cola and spit it into the horn you can generate an acidic medium.

Still, unless you do your own chem clean with mineral acid at excessive strength or for an excessive time you should not see red rot in less than a decade. Of course I've never evaluated the corrosion resistance of Chinese brass and that could make a difference.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Maintenance”