Embourchure

LizardRiot9756

Embourchure

Post by LizardRiot9756 »

I am having trouble playing any high notes above a D flat. Also, I am puffing out my lips. It started when I took a week break from practicing trombone because I was on vacation. No matter what I do nothing is helping me play in the high register. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do? I am in 8th grade.
BGuttman

Re: Embourchure

Post by BGuttman »

The correct term is "embouchure".

Normally I'd suggest getting a lesson with somebody like Doug Elliott. He's an expert in this area. But being in 8th grade may make this a little difficult.

First, are you pressing hard on your lips to play? This could be part of the problem.

The week off probably didn't help. Try playing a lot of long tones in the range you can play. Often this will help getting the mechanics correct that will let you play higher. Note that playing long tones isn't a matter of simply holding a D in the staff for 20 beats but instead you should be listening to make sure the tone is steady, doesn't waver, and sounds good. If you sound like a wounded moose you are doing something wrong and need to try something to fix that.

Be patient and word fom what you can play outward (in both directions: up and down).

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

How long have you been playing? It really makes no difference, I'm just wondering.
Let me know if you can use Skype. I can probably fix it in 5 minutes.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Fafner

Post by Fafner »

+1 for that user name
King2bPlus

Post by King2bPlus »

Doug fixed me up right after a gig here in NJ...........in less than 5 minutes. Do the Skype deal w/Doug. You won't be sorry.
Ken Jackson
King 2b+, King 3b
Elliott LT 104N, C, C2
Elliott LT 104N, C+, D2
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

+1 for Doug.
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd