Trumpet-trombone doubling expectations

How and what to teach and learn.
TBoneHalfNote

Trumpet-trombone doubling expectations

Post by TBoneHalfNote »

I'm planning soon to start my trombone journey and I have a question for you experienced doublers.

I've been playing trumpet for nearly 10 years and while I've developed overall pretty decent skills and endurance (for my needs) I fundamentally lack range. My range is so pathetic that I won't even announce it here so you don't laugh.
My question is - how much of the range can I expect to develop on trombone in comparison to trumpet? Either from your own experience or just theoretically - can I be more successful on trombone in terms of generally accepted range provided that trombone requires a more open aperture?
Or am I missing anything and my problem will simply migrate from trumpet to trombone?
Last edited by TBoneHalfNote on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Elliott

Re: Trumpet-trombone doubling expectations

Post by Doug Elliott »

You won't know until you try it. But I do think you're missing something and haven't tried the right things. There's something about your embouchure configuration and/or related aspects that isn't right for you. Those things may migrate to trombone, or they might be fixed or improved just from the change.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

To some degree range comes with proper development of playing skills. As you grow and learn to play more efficiently, your range improves accordingly. A competent teacher will help you sort this out and point you in the right direction. I'm guessing that whatever is limiting you on trumpet will also limit you on trombone. I will say that I have known brass players who could not transition at all and some who made the transition easily.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
TBoneHalfNote

Post by TBoneHalfNote »

For some reason I feel myself very comfortable in the lower trumpet range: from low G up to G on the second line in the staff. It feels like home to me.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Wha
Gary

Post by Gary »

Range on trumpet can be affected by a number of things but if your embouchure is faulty, all the hip exercises in the world won't help you, building your castle on the sand, and all that. You need an instructor with a good, verifiable track record. When I was in college, I had problems and a very fine playing instructor tried to help me fix it. He did everything right - except noticing a flaw in my embouchure.

To illustrate, when I was in college, I had a workable "A" above the staff and a "High C" in the practice room. Years later, with a proper embouchure, I went to a workable "E" above High C and a "Double High C" in the practice room. I would say, make sure you have a solid foundation.

This is not to be misunderstood as favoring trumpet over trombone. Play whichever you like. But have solid foundation, which ever you choose.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”