Getzen 3047AF (3047AFR)

LarryPrestonRoberson

Getzen 3047AF (3047AFR)

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

I'm seeking information about the Getzen 3047AF. I know the basic specifications, which can be viewed on the Getzen Website. I'm specifically interested in the design concepts. In particular does it have a narrow or wide slide? And how does the bell—taper, construction, bead, rim— compare to that of a Bach (42) or Conn (8H), or respectively styled, large tenors? Of course I would appreciate thoughts/reviews on playing experience and comparison to the other major/popular brands (Shires, Bach, Conn, etc.) And how does it truly compare to similarly set-up Edwards? Additionally, what is the typical market value for a 5-10 year old example of a 3047AF or 3047AFR in good to very good condition?

Feel free to comment to this post. This query is for informational purposes only. Thanks for any information!
Mikebmiller

Re: Getzen 3047AF (3047AFR)

Post by Mikebmiller »

From what I have read, that horn is essentially a non-modular version of Edwards’ most popular setup, for about $2k less.
disco

Re: Getzen 3047AF (3047AFR)

Post by disco »

I had one and did not care for it. I think the build quality wasn't what I had hoped for. The connectors came loose often, and the horn had a rattle. I thought the sound was ok. I did like the feel of the valve. The throw felt too long, but I liked the blow. Eventually I sold the horn, and moved to a Conn 8H that I had an instrument innovations axial valve added to, with custom linkage to greatly shorten the throw. The bell is just better than the Getzen, and so is the slide.
Conn 6H Elkhart
Conn 100H
Conn 74H
Conn 88HCL
Conn 8HCL Detachable Bell Boneyard Conversion
Conn 8HT Boneyard Axial Conversion
King 2B+ X2
1939 King 2B
Yamaha 882 OR
Conn 60H with Detachable Bell Boneyard Dependent Conversion

Return to “Instruments”