Leadpipe Questions

PaulT

Leadpipe Questions

Post by PaulT »

I picked up a Yamaha 891Z and it comes with two leadpipes, a longer one (NY) and a shorter one (LA).

In an email conversation with a Yamaha rep, I asked (with the understanding that how I play and how I hear is the tell) if there were any general characteristics associated with two leadpipes that might, generally, describe and differentiate them.

He replied, after clearly explaining that I needed to play them myself to find out how they worked for me, that the longer pipe can be perceived as having a more open feel with a slightly wider sound while the shorter pipe tends to produce a sound that is a bit more focused and directional with a slightly tighter feel.

I'm hearing the exact opposite. I like the sound of both pipes, but I hear the longer one as more focused and centered... a purer tone. And I hear the shorter pipe as wider and more diffuse... softer around the edges.

Is this seeming contradiction due to my ears and interaction with the horn, or did the rep perhaps inadvertently "flip" the general characteristics that might be used to describe the differences between longer and shorter leadpipes?

I ask for two reasons:

1) I'm curious and I find trombone discussions interesting.

2) If I use this horn in my community band, I'm thinking that the leadpipe that produces a more centered and focused sound would be the best choice, which is what I hear from the longer leadpipe, but is what I'm hearing what others will hear, or am I hearing the opposite?
mrdeacon

Re: Leadpipe Questions

Post by mrdeacon »

The rep flipped it around. What you're hearing and feeling is how most players would perceive those pipes.

I hesitate to give advice... but honestly, leadpipes are less about "sound" and more about finding what feels good. Helps dial in the blow of the horn.

Some horns are picky about leadpipes and other horns are picky about mouthpieces, sometimes both! The Yamaha should play well no matter which of the two leadpipes you throw in it, it's all personal preference.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Rath R3 2000s, Elliott XT
Rath R4 2024, Elliott XT
Rath R9 2000s, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Thanks!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Most people like the NY pipe better, it seems. I actually like a Kanstul H8 even better, and if you're going to use this in a concert band, the H8 will give it a broader sound. The 891z is a fantastic horn.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

We have a bunch of guys on those at work. I don't think anyone uses the LA pipe.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans »

Great horn. For most situations the NY pipe was better for me. I also eventually ended up on an H8.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Thanks, fellows!

I am really, really happy with this horn! Someday, I might try that H8 pipe, but for now I will get to know the NY. And, after going through a bit of a mouthpiece merry-go-round with this new horn, I have settled on a Bach 7C.

The Yamaha 45C2 it came with is a blast, lots and lots of fun, but I can get the same sizzle with the 7C plus a fuller sweeter sound and cleaner low notes. I also like the horn with the Yamaha 48 (which is what I use on my 630) but I feel like I am giving up some of the zip (and overtones) the horn has to offer when I pair it with the 48... and I run out of air a couple notes earlier.

The 7C is what I keep coming back to. It feels good, sounds good, and covers my range cleanly and evenly.

(but, it does seem that I end up liking something about every mouthpiece I try ;) )

Return to “Mouthpieces”