Sturdy, hard-to-topple, or even DIY Trombone Stand?

sirisobhakya

Sturdy, hard-to-topple, or even DIY Trombone Stand?

Post by sirisobhakya »

Any recommendation for a sturdy, hard-to-topple trombone stand? Or experience even make one yourself from parts?

I normally set the horn on the floor, or have it always held in my hand in risky situations (such as students running and playing around). However, since I just bought a new tenor horn, and I want to play it both, maybe even switching in the same song, I felt I need a trombone stand. Also I don't want my trombone to feel left out, since I already bought a stand for the tenor horn :D .

A shop I can go have K&M 14985, which should be enough for normal operations. However, my issue is: the band room is quite crowded. Also, when the band is not set up and there are spaces available, students (and sometimes alumni too!) always run and play around. Also, I am quite clumsy myself. Therefore, toppling is very likely, and I cannot afford that. The 149/9 seems to be more rigid, but I wonder if any model would be even more sturdy.

Also, since there are many broken music stands, and also drum stands that I can use as starting point for a DIY trombone stand, does anyone has experience building one your own? I once used a drum stand with a rug laid on it for protection; usable but not that stable since there is no support inside the bell.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
ghmerrill

Re: Sturdy, hard-to-topple, or even DIY Trombone Stand?

Post by ghmerrill »

I built a very sturdy trombone stand from a Hamilton music stand. I use it as my "permanent" practice stand at home. This is particularly easy since the Hamilton music stand and trombone stand are virtually identical except for the top of the tube that holds the music table. You can also buy (at low cost) some parts from Hamilton. But basically, if you have a hack saw, a rubber plunger, some sort of rubber/plastic table leg cap, and maybe a couple of other small parts (like hose clamps), you should be able to build a trombone stand from something similar.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I have several K&M 14990 stands. They are great. This one:

https://www.hornguys.com/collections/tr ... bone-stand
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
afugate

Post by afugate »

sirisobhakya wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 pm Also, since there are many broken music stands, and also drum stands that I can use as starting point for a DIY trombone stand, does anyone has experience building one your own? I once used a drum stand with a rug laid on it for protection; usable but not that stable since there is no support inside the bell.
I built my own bass trombone stand out of a broken cymbal stand. I added a large plunger head and used a walking cane tip for the cap on the riser tube.

Cheap, effective, and extremely stable. But, it's also heavy!

--Andy in OKC
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I have two DIY stands, both are extremely stable.

One is a repurposed cymbal stand, with a crutch tip on top. $5 for the stand at a thrift shop, couldn't pass that up.

The other is a round plastic base from a floor fan I found in a dumpster. It turned out a plunger stick was a friction fit in the hole. So I turned the plunger around, cut the plunger hole all the way through and forced the stick through. Then I dipped it in Tool dip for a rubber coating on top.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

If the room is really that active, a solid stand is just going to be something immovable to smash the horn against. The instrument should be in a hard case if it's not in your hand in that environment.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:16 am If the room is really that active, a solid stand is just going to be something immovable to smash the horn against. The instrument should be in a hard case if it's not in your hand in that environment.
:good:

Or, since the stand is immobile, it (and the trombone resting on it) will be in the way of - and likely a collision target for - all the clumsy oafs who stumble by. Put the trombone back in its case when you are not actively tending it in this environment.
jthomas105

Post by jthomas105 »

Mount a couple of these on the classroom wall up above the student traffic so they don't get run into.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... jy0s696g_b
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

timothy42b wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:51 am ...
The other is a round plastic base from a floor fan I found in a dumpster. It turned out a plunger stick was a friction fit in the hole. So I turned the plunger around, cut the plunger hole all the way through and forced the stick through. Then I dipped it in Tool dip for a rubber coating on top.
I like that. A round base makes it unlikely to tip in any direction. My stands have five legs, which is good for the same reason.
BillO

Post by BillO »

greenbean wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:16 pm I have several K&M 14990 stands. They are great. This one:

I'll offer another vote for the K&M 14990. Best stand I have ever used. Have 3 now and will soon have 5 in order to replace my other 2 stands.
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

DYI:
Used a cymbal stand and added the in bell support from a traditional trombone stand. Super sturdy.

Last edited by Backbone on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

I like my On-Stage stand; it's quite sturdy. The bell holder has pads on it, protecting the finish and enabling air to circulate in the bell so that moisture condensation doesn't get trapped inside by the holder itself. Hamilton makes a similar product.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Slideorama

Post by Slideorama »

Like most kids in band, if the horn isn’t in your hands, it should be in your case. Unless other students are liable for your equipment, this isn’t a trombone stand issue.
Michael Lawson
Freelance Trombonist
Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

My home stand is screwed to the floor so the horns cannot slide into each other.
Wood dowels are set into a 2 x 6. Drill a hole the size of the dowel and sink a screw from the other side.
Then toilet plungers drilled out to fit the dowel are slid over with a hose clamp or a few screws below to hold them in place. And a rubber cap on the top.
Top with a decorative table cloth.
On the side I have two 2 x 6's with angled tops connected at a right angle. This makes a great hanger for trombone slides.
The euph is hanging on a hardware hook connected to a 2 x 6.
The Pbone is just leaning against the wall.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1izx3 ... RWNm8/view
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

whitbey wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:27 am My home stand is screwed to the floor....
The thing that makes me uncomfortable about this is that if someone bumps your horn, it's going to get damaged against the immovable stand.

The Hercules hand grip stand is definitely the most stable, and probably the safest overall, but it only accounts for asymmetry on one axis. It still allows the horn to spin on the hand grip if it isn't set right.

baileyman

Post by baileyman »

stand.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

stand 2.jpg
A better pic. A compass indicates roughly 25 degrees of tilt before tilt-over. (Yes, there are too many numbers on that thing...)

(For some reason, though the file on my drive is in portrait, it shows here in landscape. Why?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

baileyman wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:35 pm A better pic. A compass indicates roughly 25 degrees of tilt before tilt-over. (Yes, there are too many numbers on that thing...)
Baileyman,
What stand is that? It’s the first trombone stand I’ve seen with five legs. I’ve always had a preference for the “heavy duty” K&M 14990, but I’m really interested in checking that one out.

Terry
goldendomer04

Post by goldendomer04 »

Another +1 on the K&M 14990.

I’ve never felt the need to shop for anything else.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

That 5 legged stand is home-built. I know of only two: Baileyman's and an associate who plays in the same band. I've seen it plenty of times.

It's light. I wouldn't store a heavy bass trombone on it, but it's great for Baileyman's Bach 16 or Bach 12. And it's really stable.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

[All messed up pics in post attempt, will retry.]
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Here's a 50b with the weight to the sloping side, 18 degrees tip over point.
stand 4.jpg
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Here is a Bach 16 on standard geometry (three leg) stand, tipping point 13 degrees.
stand 3.jpg
trompanner

Post by trompanner »

greenbean wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:16 pm I have several K&M 14990 stands. They are great. This one:

I too have this stand and I love it! Its the highest quality stand I've ever owned and I carry it everywhere with me. I used to have a Hamilton Stand (all chrome) but the joints of the legs on that one eventually broke and would longer stand without leaning or wobbling (thanks to clumsy private students stepping on them). I also had one of the Hercules In-Bell stands, and that one failed on me after about a year of use. I completely stand behind the K&M!

Return to “Accessories”