Solo and ensemble

parkerzook

Solo and ensemble

Post by parkerzook »

I am a 14 year old student in high school, a freshman and the top of my class for freshmans in playing, i am a advanced player, I am having trouble in picking my piece, I was looking at concertino opera 4, any suggestions on what to play? thank you for your time
BGuttman

Re: Solo and ensemble

Post by BGuttman »

Is there a repertoire list for Solo and Ensemble? Many states have them. Your Band Director will know where to look for it.

What have you played so far? Can you play the Saint-Saens Cavatine? Barat Andante and Allegro? Guilmant Morceau Symphonique? Pryor Blue Bells of Scotland? The solos in the back of Arban's?

If there is not a repertoire list, we need to know a bit more on your capabilities. How high can you play CONSISTENTLY (not just a random squeak)? How low? Are there keys that aren't really solid (I'm thinking 5 sharps and more; 6 flats and more). Can you double tongue? triple tongue? Fast runs?

Quite honestly, a private teacher is the most likely source of good guidance.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

You probably mean opus 4, the David?
SirJohn

Post by SirJohn »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:48 pm Is there a repertoire list for Solo and Ensemble? Many states have them. Your Band Director will know where to look for it.

What have you played so far? Can you play the Saint-Saens Cavatine? Barat Andante and Allegro? Guilmant Morceau Symphonique? Pryor Blue Bells of Scotland? The solos in the back of Arban's?

If there is not a repertoire list, we need to know a bit more on your capabilities. How high can you play CONSISTENTLY (not just a random squeak)? How low? Are there keys that aren't really solid (I'm thinking 5 sharps and more; 6 flats and more). Can you double tongue? triple tongue? Fast runs?

I agree with this. Get the contest list for your state music association. That will give you a framework of options and can generally be found online. I have been a music educator but am not a brass player. You do need to work with a teacher familiar with your skill level to help decide on a piece. For a complete shot in the dark, see if the Galliard sonatas are on the list for your state. Some of these are a more reasonable proposition for a younger player than say the Guilmant Morceau Symphonique or Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto (which are on lists for a good many states), yet still challenging and fulfilling.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:48 pm

Dang Bruce, I have been at it for 45 years and still have trouble with some of that stuff!

Return to “Performance”