video recording

timothy42b

video recording

Post by timothy42b »

I have a microphone (actually, my Zoom H2) connected to my laptop. Using Audacity, I can record a phrase and immediately play it back through stereo speakers.

I would like to do the same with video. Record a short movement, play it back on a big computer screen, in slo mo if possible.

I have an iPhone. I do use it for that purpose (I'm trying to improve my disc golf throwing). However the screen is tiny and I've just had cataract surgery. Tiny screens are not doing well at the moment.

I have a Win10 desktop setup with a large screen. Is there a webcam type camera that would connect for this? I've been googling this morning and not come up with anything yet.
TriJim

Re: video recording

Post by TriJim »

Since you're already familiar with Zoom, have you considered their Q2n video recorder (either standard or newer 4K model)?

Camera has micro HDMI output and can be used as a stand-alone camera or monitor/recorder. I have the standard model and use it to record practices and performances.

Easy to use, selectable zoom/low pass filter/resolution/sound levels, and fair price.

My complaint - 2-AA batteries only last about 2 hours so you'll go through batteries quickly when you are not using usb power.
Leisesturm

Post by Leisesturm »

timothy42b wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:33 am I have a microphone (actually, my Zoom H2) connected to my laptop. Using Audacity, I can record a phrase and immediately play it back through stereo speakers.

I would like to do the same with video. Record a short movement, play it back on a big computer screen, in slo mo if possible.

I have an iPhone. I do use it for that purpose (I'm trying to improve my disc golf throwing). However the screen is tiny and I've just had cataract surgery. Tiny screens are not doing well at the moment.

I have a Win10 desktop setup with a large screen. Is there a webcam type camera that would connect for this? I've been googling this morning and not come up with anything yet.
I've been researching this very thing. You could get a Logitech Webcam. I can't see any reason to buy any other brand of Webcam. Or you could use an app that makes your iPhone act like a webcam. I haven't done much research on those but I know that they exist. Your only remaining problem is that the microphones on a webcams and iPhone's are monophonic and also optimized for voice pickup. Most aren't great for musical instruments. You will need affordable video editing software for Windows that will allow you to sync your high quality Zoom audio with the video from your camera. Doable, but I doubt it will be fast enough for quick playback to short recordings while practicing. Seems to me you just need a video recording app for your iphone and some kind of 'Lightning to HDMI' adapter plug to route video playback from your iPhone over to your Desktop PC. FWIW.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I think agree with you. I shopped for webcams at lunch, didn't find one but will keep trying.

The phone works, and maybe that will connect to the big screen. I don't want editing and a quality product in an hour, I want instant feedback. I get that now for audio but want video too.

When I first took a lesson with Doug, he video'd a bit of my playing with a point and shoot camera, popped the SD card out and into a laptop, and showed me what I looked like doing something. But that was years back, and I don't want to be moving chips anymore.

Too many projects, too little time.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I was in a rehearsal with a young man who is in Conservatory. He had either a large Iphone or a small Ipad. He had the "selfie" camera on and placed the thing on his stand. Got all the recording he needed.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:53 am I was in a rehearsal with a young man who is in Conservatory. He had either a large Iphone or a small Ipad. He had the "selfie" camera on and placed the thing on his stand. Got all the recording he needed.
That would be perfectly adequate if I were also a "young man." I have been using my iPhone. But after cataract surgery I could use a bigger screen - and I have a 32 inch monitor in the basement room where I need it.
Leisesturm

Post by Leisesturm »

timothy42b wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:42 am I think agree with you. I shopped for webcams at lunch, didn't find one but will keep trying.

Here, look at these: https://vloggerpro.com/best-webcams-for ... ng-videos/ Somewhere I have a refurbished Logitech from an earlier century and what I remember is this: you need a pretty capable computer to make one useful. Back then the requirements for 480 pixel recording at 30fps was a 3Ghz processer and 4 Gigs of RAM. You cannot capture a musician with 30fps. And todays minimum for video is 720 pixels I think. Anyway, my point is that the laptop you want to use (or desktop) is important too.

This leads me as to ... why? I get the audio playback. The video, less so. I mean, someone might want to know if they are moving around unessecarily or something and that's valid, but ... slo-mo? TBH what is really needed here is a cheap camcorder that will store the data on its own internal memory and not need a super powerful desktop computer to drive it. All camcorders hook directly to flat screen TV's with cables, some permanently connected. You don't need a computer at all. And you certainly do not need to pop the SD card out to make the data transfer.

Slo-mo, variable focus, and audio recording on par with an iPhone for around $200. Less if you look at knock-off stuff. Again, I don't know. A couple of lessons again with a human teacher might have more lasting value. I'm old too and I am speaking from experience when I wonder out loud how much 'learning' takes place of complex tasks like playing an instrument after age 30. Don't get me wrong. At 60 I am still learning ... no, improving. At 60 I am still improving as a musician, and this is mainly because I am self-taught. You sound like you had earlier instruction? Me personally, I wouldn't throw a whole lot of money at this, because the lasting value just isn't there. The motions of a trombone slide just do not bear close slow motion analysis. Or any visual analysis for that matter. The ear is everything. I haven't found that a bad thing to focus on. I would need to know the context of the earlier video analysis to say more but IMO it may have set up unreasonable expectations on your part. FWIW.

timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Leisesturm,
Your points are all completely valid.

Video will not help my trombone playing much - well it might, but the requirements for instant playback and slo mo are not part of that.

It's part of a larger picture, and I'm partly thinking out loud. I am trying to improve a particular athletic movement, and that's impossible without video feedback. The iPhone is fine, but at the moment my close vision is challenged. At the same time I'm trying to puzzle through a large disconnect between drills and performance (the latter is exceptionally good at retrieving bad habits). And on trombone, I'm trying to rethink how I spend my practice time after this layoff. Do I need an F6, or is a clean tongue on F3 more important, and which one takes up my limited time, etc.?
alexwinter1

Post by alexwinter1 »

the ultimate guide to buy the best webcam for recording, streaming, and podcasts,
https://www.cyber-beast.com/2019/12/bes ... dcast.html

Return to “Technology”