Forum forgets me...

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
ronnies

Re: Forum forgets me...

Post by ronnies »

That's everything back to normal on the iMac at home too.

Thanks for all the hard work Matt !

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I am also having troubles.
Before today I had to log in but the password would auto fill. Now today it does not even auto fill.
Also, If I hit a link that takes you off the site (forgot to right click) when I return I have to log in again. Even if I open a new tab while logged in, I have to log in on that tab.
I use Firefox on a fast newer Dell.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

whitbey wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:11 am I am also having troubles.
Before today I had to log in but the password would auto fill. Now today it does not even auto fill.
Also, If I hit a link that takes you off the site (forgot to right click) when I return I have to log in again. Even if I open a new tab while logged in, I have to log in on that tab.
I use Firefox on a fast newer Dell.
Did you clear your cookies/cache and flush the dns?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Looks like it got fixed for me!
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I just logged in, saved the page in my Favorites again, and it works. I just erased the old one.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Kingfan wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:44 am I just logged in, saved the page in my Favorites again, and it works. I just erased the old one.
Great observation; I forget bookmarks exist (I tend to just type t in the url bar and it knows where I want to go :roll: ). If you use a bookmark you possibly will have to change it. Ideally, switch it to:

https://trombonechat.com
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Works great now. No need to Log In every time any longer.

Thanks, Matt! :good:
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

Matt K wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:41 pm
Kingfan wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:44 am I just logged in, saved the page in my Favorites again, and it works. I just erased the old one.
Great observation; I forget bookmarks exist (I tend to just type t in the url bar and it knows where I want to go :roll: ). If you use a bookmark you possibly will have to change it. Ideally, switch it to:

https://trombonechat.com
I had to do that on the Macs too.

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Yeah, all along bookmarks are one of the things that have exposed some of the problems. Always dangerous to assume that other users employ the same scenarios that you do. :) That's a major reason that commercial products have independent testing departments isolated from development -- or at least they should and used to, though I see a lot of evidence in web products that indicates otherwise. :roll: (Why don't you guys have some kind of grumpy old man smilie? Some sort of age discrimination?)
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

ghmerrill wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:45 am Yeah, all along bookmarks are one of the things that have exposed some of the problems. Always dangerous to assume that other users employ the same scenarios that you do. :) That's a major reason that commercial products have independent testing departments isolated from development -- or at least they should and used to, though I see a lot of evidence in web products that indicates otherwise. :roll: (Why don't you guys have some kind of grumpy old man smilie? Some sort of age discrimination?)
Test driven development works only so far as you know to write the test for it, which I would not have even thought to in this case!

D''oh! :good:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Scenario driven UI/UX testing via personas ala Cooper. :) It's the only way to go -- but a hard sell even within large commercial development environments because (ignorant) management often sees it as an "unnecessary" expense (which is also difficult to apply metrics to). And it's resisted by developers. So they'd rather spend predictable quantities of money on support and upgrades (which continue to fail to address problems) -- even if that results in more expense and much less user satisfaction. T'is the way things have gone in the development world.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Savio

Post by Savio »

Never had problem with this before but the last few days I had trouble logging in. Had to look up my password in my email. But now Im in again.
Leif
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Savio wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:49 pm Never had problem with this before but the last few days I had trouble logging in. Had to look up my password in my email. But now Im in again.
Leif
:good: The changes very likely kicked everyone out but everything should be substantially more stable now.
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Had a shortcut on my desktop for TC that didn't have the "s" after "http". Adding the "s" seems to have fixed login/recognition problems. Pretty simple.
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (trumpet/treasurer)
Lake Havasu Symphonic Winds (trombome)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Old topic, but I found out something interesting.

My forum login seems to have reset after about an hour or so on Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and Opera. I had a workaround that was tolerable by having a unique password for this Forum and having each browser "remember" it (I don't normally allow my passwords to be saved online). When I came back to the Forum I simply had to allow a new login and I was good to go.

I've been playing with Vivaldi. For some reason, Vivaldi remembers that I am logged in and I don't have to tell it to log me back in.

I'd be interested if other people have found this as well.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

No problem staying logged in until I clear my Cookies (which I do every couple of days). Then I have to log in again (Firefox). Good for another few days. :shuffle:
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:37 pm No problem staying logged in until I clear my Cookies (which I do every couple of days). Then I have to log in again (Firefox). Good for another few days. :shuffle:
There is an add-on for firefox that allows you granular deletion of cookies and can whitelist sites so you don't have to log-in every time you wipe:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... utodelete/

I'm not aware of any method of authentication that would survive wiping out all of those cookie but I understand why you want to have them deleted. If you worry about what else cookies are tracking about you, you can combine an aggressive wiping schedule with this addon and combine it with NoScript, uBlock origin, and something like PrivacyBadger, DecentalEyes, etc. ; that way, you can block even which sites' javascript run on a given domain.

You'll notice once you get NoScript just how pervasive things like Google tracking is. This is one of the only sites I visit that only loads its domains JS.
BGuttman wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:02 pm Old topic, but I found out something interesting.

My forum login seems to have reset after about an hour or so on Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and Opera. I had a workaround that was tolerable by having a unique password for this Forum and having each browser "remember" it (I don't normally allow my passwords to be saved online). When I came back to the Forum I simply had to allow a new login and I was good to go.

I've been playing with Vivaldi. For some reason, Vivaldi remembers that I am logged in and I don't have to tell it to log me back in.

I'd be interested if other people have found this as well.
Vivaldi is Chrome(ium) but it is a total separate environment so if you set something up in Firefox or Chrome but not Vivaldi that is causing the issue, using another Chrome based browser would bring an entirely fresh set of configuration. I suspect there is something with the configuration because of how Vivaldi works for you. If you're logged in to Firefox (which I assume you are because you mention saving passwords online whereas if you don't "log in" to the browser it saves them in a SQLite cache on your local machine rather than on Firefox's server, along with all your settings). It's actually one of the only annoying things I find about Firefox in that I've yet to find a way to erase all of those configs short of creating a new profile which I'd prefer not to do but I've admittedly not spent very much time on the issue.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”