Alternative hand grips for double valve bass bone

aaronhynds

Alternative hand grips for double valve bass bone

Post by aaronhynds »

Hello, all!

I have been dealing lately with some carpal tunnel pain in my left hand, and I have come to realize that some of it might be due to holding up the bass bone. I have recently been playing more bass bone, after several years off, so it's more than possible that I am holding the instrument in an incorrect way. I am aware of Doug Yeo's modified grip, and with my newly-acquired Neotech hand guard, I believe I've actually found an alternative grip that works well for me. Picture is below--basically, since the second valve paddle needs to fit back a bit to make room for the hand guard, I've found that using the index finger for the second paddle in this position is actually fairly comfortable, and much less stressful for me than the traditional hold.

So, I'm curious to know--what other alternative grips have you used/seen out there?

ghmerrill

Re: Alternative hand grips for double valve bass bone

Post by ghmerrill »

I just posted a picture in another thread of what I've done with my horn: https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic. ... ler#p72731.

It took me months to get there, but the result is absolutely comfortable since the horn sits with neutral balance in my hand and requires no "gripping" (squeezing?) while playing. This turned playing the horn from a nightmare into a pleasure. You just have to find something that works FOR YOU and ditch any idea of adapting yourself to a painful ergonomic situation. Don't fit yourself to the instrument; fit the instrument to you.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

That grip has made playing much more enjoyable for me. I only play a .547 Bb / F and started playing it just a couple of years ago after playing a straight horn for over 45 years. I never felt totally secure holding the horn because I was used to my thumb being behind the bell brace. With the lever for the F attachment in front of the brace I didn't really have a way to feel like I had a good grip on the horn. Having that Neotech attachment makes the horn feel secure as well as making holding it easier! Glad it's working out for you!
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
WeekendWailer

Post by WeekendWailer »

IMG_1227.JPG
I used to use the standard grip about 20 years ago but can't do it very long these days. I tried Doug Yeo's grip without a brace but that didn't work for me either because then a lot of weight ended up on my ring finger. What works for me is the combination of that grip style and a brace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”