Getzen Experts

DakoJack

Getzen Experts

Post by DakoJack »

I need help from the Getzen experts out there Im looking into buying an older Getzen from an old band director friend and am trying to find the details of the horn. The horn has a lot of sentimental value and may not be my main axe so your opinion on the horns playing is welcomed but not necesarly a decision maker. The horn is a Getzen super artist model delux but seems to have some differences from the normal "dude" the bell is silver (not sure if this is plating or the actual bell) and it has the straight braces as supposed to the normal curves. Any help on possible year bell size and material bore size all of this would be nice. Thanks for any and all information I came to you guys first I know where the expertise is :good: .
BGuttman

Re: Getzen Experts

Post by BGuttman »

Sounds like the Super Deluxe from the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Does it have the Tone Ring? Is there a reinforcement on the tuning slide bow? Is the silver matte with shiny plating on the Tone Ring and braces?

These came with a "wedgie" case that had a lot of internal room. I was able to put a few textbooks in my case when I had one in Elementary School.

Should be sub 0.500" with a 7 or 7 1/2 inch bell.

Much better horn than the Dude.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:34 pm Sounds like the Super Deluxe from the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Does it have the Tone Ring? Is there a reinforcement on the tuning slide bow? Is the silver matte with shiny plating on the Tone Ring and braces?

These came with a "wedgie" case that had a lot of internal room. I was able to put a few textbooks in my case when I had one in Elementary School.

Ive gotten some more info if any of this helps, its tone balanced and has the copper ring around the bell the serial number is 61053.
JonTheCadet

Post by JonTheCadet »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:34 pm Sounds like the Super Deluxe from the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Just out of interest, what's wrong with 'the dude'? The slide and braces looked art-deco-y and the copper bell looks quite nice(on the internet at least). Couldn't find anything regarding bore or bell size though. Were they director/stencil instruments?
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone »

DakoJack wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:16 pm I need help from the Getzen experts out there Im looking into buying an older Getzen from an old band director friend and am trying to find the details of the horn. The horn has a lot of sentimental value and may not be my main axe so your opinion on the horns playing is welcomed but not necesarly a decision maker. The horn is a Getzen super artist model delux but seems to have some differences from the normal "dude" the bell is silver (not sure if this is plating or the actual bell) and it has the straight braces as supposed to the normal curves. Any help on possible year bell size and material bore size all of this would be nice. Thanks for any and all information I came to you guys first I know where the expertise is :good: .
Are you sure its "Super Artist" and not "Sterling Artist"? I've seen silver plated Super Deluxes, but on those, the tone ring is usually silver plated as well. The Sterling Artist has "Sterling Artist" engraved on the bell flare, a bit below the bell brace. They're good players, and very cool horns.

As to what's wrong with "The Dude," most of it is in the slide braces--dual bars of hex stock that seem engineered to dig into your flesh. The bells were very thick and not particularly resonant, especially compared to the Super Deluxe, which had a very thin bell.
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

doctortrombone wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:33 pm
DakoJack wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:16 pm I need help from the Getzen experts out there Im looking into buying an older Getzen from an old band director friend and am trying to find the details of the horn. The horn has a lot of sentimental value and may not be my main axe so your opinion on the horns playing is welcomed but not necesarly a decision maker. The horn is a Getzen super artist model delux but seems to have some differences from the normal "dude" the bell is silver (not sure if this is plating or the actual bell) and it has the straight braces as supposed to the normal curves. Any help on possible year bell size and material bore size all of this would be nice. Thanks for any and all information I came to you guys first I know where the expertise is :good: .
Are you sure its "Super Artist" and not "Sterling Artist"? I've seen silver plated Super Deluxes, but on those, the tone ring is usually silver plated as well. The Sterling Artist has "Sterling Artist" engraved on the bell flare, a bit below the bell brace. They're good players, and very cool horns.

As to what's wrong with "The Dude," most of it is in the slide braces--dual bars of hex stock that seem engineered to dig into your flesh. The bells were very thick and not particularly resonant, especially compared to the Super Deluxe, which had a very thin bell.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y8FLKbLJd6DX1KU2A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XBoYPezPXNBjuwTG9
It appears you were right about the Sterling thing I'll actually have the horn in like a month what else can you tell me.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

DakoJack wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:16 pm I need help from the Getzen experts out there...
I am in no way an expert on Getzens but have been interested in them since I picked up a 50 Deluxe couple years back. Then last fall I picked up a Super Deluxe with copper bell.
Very interesting horns. The 50 Deluxe has that thick bell and is playable but not what I would call a great player.
The Super on the other hand has a wonderful tone and pleasant back pressure for a small bore horn. Plus that kick ass wedge case. :P
I still cannot get over how wide the span is between the inner slide hand braces on both horns.
Personally, I kind of like the art-deco look, including all the hex bar - especially on the water keys.
That Sterling bell is a sharp look and that horn appears to be in good condition. Will be a fun horn to doodle around on. :good:
@Dako: If you have not already, I recommend checking out Getzens history page on their website: http://www.getzen.com/inside/history.shtml
As you may already know, they had a factory fire in 1963 that wiped out all their records so exact dating and production numbers are a bit of a guess and brass player folklore. :)
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
JebBishop

Post by JebBishop »

Here's a Getzen question: I saw an Eterna 1050 (.508 bore) listed for sale. The photo of the bell shows the engraving:

'Getzen / 355 / Elkhorn WI USA'.

Why 355 and not 1050?
mfellows821

Post by mfellows821 »

I had a Getzen Sterling Bell trombone come through a few years ago. I thought it played very similarly to my King Sterling 2B. Dark and heavy at lower volumes and brightening as more air was applied. It was the perfect example of an underpriced and under appreciated trombone that no one seems to know about. If you like the heavier bell like the sterling Kings, this would probably be a good fit. Also a beuatiful instrument to look at.
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

The horn now that I finally got it in it sounds incredible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timbone

Post by timbone »

Getzen has always made great stuff. Edwards is Getzen but you know that. I grew up playing Getzens and studied with a Getzen artist. They still make one of the best .508 trombones in the industry.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

timbone wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:00 am Getzen has always made great stuff. Edwards is Getzen but you know that. I grew up playing Getzens and studied with a Getzen artist. They still make one of the best .508 trombones in the industry.
I'd take issue with that statement. The horn in the picture is similar to the one I learned on in the late 1950's and it was good. I owned a much lower grade instrument that was horrible. Really soured me on Getzen (unjustly).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Tim’s knowledge of brass instruments made in the US > Yours Bruce.
I have heard a thousand times that you disliked an old Getzen. Time to get over that.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 am Tim’s knowledge of brass instruments made in the US > Yours Bruce.
I have heard a thousand times that you disliked an old Getzen. Time to get over that.
I doubt Tim was playing Getzen trombones in the late 1950s. (For that matter, I doubt either you or he were around then.) I am careful to state that Getzen now is not Getzen then. Apparently the fire changed a lot in Elkhorn. But I sill have painful memories of that cheap Getzen I had back then.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

The real revolution as far as Getzen trombones started with Allied (i.e., Tom and Ed Getzen) buying Getzen out of bankruptcy in 1991. The Getzen trombones that followed had a lot more in common with the instruments that Allied was already building (Canadian Brass and Edwards, among others) than they did with the Getzen trombones from before the bankruptcy.

Even Getzen's own history notes that "...several years of production problems and financial hardship..." preceded the bankruptcy.

Bruce isn't hallucinating. Some of those pre-bankruptcy Getzen trombones weren't very good. The normal Super Deluxe actually has a pretty decent reputation, but some of the others? Check out the braces on this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

OOOF. Braces made from bent hex stock. Not sure if that's trying to be "artistic" or just "lowest bidder".

When did the "old" Getzen start making trombones? Most of the info out there is about Trumpets.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:36 pmWhen did the "old" Getzen start making trombones? Most of the info out there is about Trumpets.
The official company history says 1946 for trombones and 1947 for cornets and trumpets.

Return to “Instruments”