Wedge opinions

BflatBass

Wedge opinions

Post by BflatBass »

I've read a couple of the other posts about Wedge mouthpieces but I'm still wondering, what do y'all think? I'm speaking of bass tbone pieces specifically..
I normally use a Shilke 59 so what would be a good comparison on a Wedge? How much difference does that oval shape really make?

Cheers,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
Bach5G

Re: Wedge opinions

Post by Bach5G »

I think the old Wedge 59 was a copy of the Schilke 59. Dr. D has new models I think.

The return policy is pretty liberal because Dr. D recognizes that about 30% of players don’t respond. I was at his place this summer and tried several 5G-sized mpcs. He suggested I save my money and not buy a Wedge mpc as they didn’t do anything for me.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

I've been a Wedge user since 2008. I like the even distribution of pressure they allow which keeps the corners of my lips flexible. That said, I find I get better results with my .547 bore trombone with a Stork 4 vice the 5G I had been using on another trombone and my euphonium. Still use the Wedge mpcs on my trumpets, flug, and euph but regular mpc on trombone. I believe the Wedges help me work on my technique better, especially in avoiding pressure from the mpc against my lips. Dr Dave's return policy is fantastic and he is willing to provide excellent advice as he is a player (trumpet) as well. Even if you try it and don't find any improvement you haven't lost anything with his return policy.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I decided to try a WEDGE 1G a couple of years ago after consulting with Doctor Dave. I chose Delrin since the price was right. It turned out that I absolutely loved the feel of Delrin and the instant comfort it provides. Doctor Dave was so accommodating that he custom fit the shank to fit the recessed leadpipes of my Duo Gravis and King 8B. It arrived on a Saturday and it was so successful that I played a three hour dance gig on it on Sunday. I've had a Bach 1G in my mouthpiece collection since forever and have never liked it so why I like the WEDGE 1G so much is baffling to me. I tried his "Tone Modifier", the brass collar that attaches to the base of the cup, and found it to definitely change the characteristics of the horn ---- for better or worse, you must decide. Even when laying off the horn for a prolonged period, I find that it is a matter of minutes to reach my "comfort zone" rather than a matter of hours as it used to be. There's a bit of magic in there somewhere and Doctor Dave's return policy makes it a no-brainer. If you have any interest in them at all, Go For It !

Return to “Mouthpieces”