Two Cleveland Orchestra musicians fired for sexual misconduct

Discuss the people that make the music here.
jph

Re: Two Cleveland Orchestra musicians fired for sexual misconduct

Post by jph »

[/quote]

I'm not sure how this relates to the topic at hand. That being said, I don't think people associate "musical technicians" only with musicians without formal education and "true musicians" only with people with formal education. Quite to the contrary, there are certainly many great musicians that have no degree (but that doesn't mean they haven't studied - understanding of music and theory is required, whether you acquired it in a school or through personal study and experience), just as there is no shortage of highly educated "musical technicians" who have the musical and artistic imagination of a 2x4, even in high profile orchestral positions...
[/quote]
Great perceptions, I agree...and in my field Bill Gates would be an example. The academic credentials citation is but one example. However, it is has been my life experience (sample size of 1) that snobs come in all colors, shapes and sizes, but at the apex of the pyramid of snobs has been the Art Snob.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

It's hard to be a snob in an area that has a relatively clear set of criteria for excellence. Being a mathematics or a physics snob is very difficult (and to the degree that it's possible, requires a lot of deep understanding and work). But almost anyone can be an art snob. :roll:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
jph

Post by jph »

Precisely, Gary. An attitude, combined with vocational credentials (for instance), makes you that much more lethal out there with our youth. A math teacher (I've been one) can be called out for solving a highly measurable problem incorrectly by a student or peer.

Return to “Musicians”