Any love for Warburton?

Bloo

Any love for Warburton?

Post by Bloo »

I was at a music competition a year ago when I saw them set up there, with their two-piece mouthpieces. I showed them my gold-plate Schilke 51D and told them I want something similar, but something that would be decent for a trombone. After about 30 minutes of trying different mouthpieces, I settled on quite the odd choice. A 7D, with a converting large-bore shank (the top piece was for small bores only.) I got it in gold.

A year later and that mouthpiece is the best thing to happen to my playing. I have two shank pieces now for small bore and for large bore. Range and endurance is phenomenal, and the mouthpiece still looks gorgeous after a year of solid use.

I'd happily recommend them to anyone. Their customer service is as great as the mouthpieces they make. Why don't I see their name pop up more often around here?
I'm partial to vintage Conn horns, and new Getzens.
BGuttman

Re: Any love for Warburton?

Post by BGuttman »

I'm normally a 4G/4BS/4C player, which should make me a Warburton 8 candidate. But I got a bunch of parts and discovered the 7D works great for me.

I've been using a 3/3B on my Euphonium for about 10 years now. It was so-so as a bass trombone mouthpiece but came alive in my Conn 19I.

They are really nice mouthpieces.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

I was fortunate to have Terry W. set me up at a the 'Trombone Workshop' in DC several years ago.

After a change in horns, I have tried and sold many different mouthpieces (not all makes, and I should visit Doug Elliot someday!)

But I'm glad I alway hung on to my Warburton pieces, as I've found that being able to try a couple of different backbores has been invaluable to getting the feel of airflow and response to match me and the horn's characteristics.

And, if you try his backbones, be sure and check out the '*' series.

If you find that the regular backbones might have too much 'slot' or feel to 'locked in' for your musical situation, you can simply keep the rim and switch out the backbone.

Or, if you change lead pipes in your horn, you may have to try to mix and match the 'M' cups or 'D' cups while trying a regular or '*' backbone of varying sizes.

It's a fun puzzle to figure out, though....and well worth the musical results!
johnnymack

Post by johnnymack »

They make a great product
Terry and Bill Hamilton have been very helpful
I use a Warburton 32D Tuba Mouthpiece
A Huge Helleberg Offering
a 7M w 5 shank on my Alto
The P.E.T.E. every day to help focus my aperture especially after playing Tuba/ Contrabass Trb
and having to switch back to My Small Bore Trb
I have a Gold 7D Top
and a 6* small shank Posted FS on other sites
I haven't gotten around to post it here yet
I should contact Warburton and see if they can make me a deeper 7 top for my Tenor to fit on the 6* small shank
The 7D is a bit shallow for my Tenor needs and a bit big for my Alto
but its the deepest in their 7 small shank fitting series AFAIK
I have also used a One Piece 4GST 25.95mm rim but moved on to a 26.1 rim size
That's my 2 cents worth
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I play a 7M for playing lead on my jazz horn. I love that MP. I got a 7ST for my big horn a couple of years ago and didn't fall in love with it. High range was good, but low range not as good as my Schilke 53. I finally managed to sell it for less than half of what I paid. Overall, I think they make great products. It' s like anything else - you gotta find what works for your chops.
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

Cmillar wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:01 am I was fortunate to have Terry W. set me up at a the 'Trombone Workshop' in DC several years ago.

After a change in horns, I have tried and sold many different mouthpieces (not all makes, and I should visit Doug Elliot someday!)

But I'm glad I alway hung on to my Warburton pieces, as I've found that being able to try a couple of different backbores has been invaluable to getting the feel of airflow and response to match me and the horn's characteristics.

And, if you try his backbones, be sure and check out the '*' series.

If you find that the regular backbones might have too much 'slot' or feel to 'locked in' for your musical situation, you can simply keep the rim and switch out the backbone.

Or, if you change lead pipes in your horn, you may have to try to mix and match the 'M' cups or 'D' cups while trying a regular or '*' backbone of varying sizes.

It's a fun puzzle to figure out, though....and well worth the musical results!
Weren't you playing an LT/99/D2 when we first met?
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
SteffeMaersk

Post by SteffeMaersk »

I play a Warburton 7D with a 4*back bore on my trusty Bach 36, and I must say I really like it.
It plays anything from pop music to David concerto and everything in between.
I would highly recommend it! 😊
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Yep, I love my Warburtons. Once upon a time I went to ETW (back when it was still called ETW) and made a point of trying every mouthpiece brand there, as I hadn't tried any mouthpieces other than the Hammonds I had been using since high school when my private teacher put me on them. I'm not much of a mouthpiece gearhead, and it turned out that I didn't like a single thing there...except the Warburtons, which blew me away so much that I ordered the 3 two-pieces they had fitted for me on the spot.

Embarrassingly, two of them have gone missing in recent years (and one very recently). But they are my main mouthpieces along with a few Hammonds.

Return to “Mouthpieces”